Please explain what's the "break-in"? what's that? what's for?

Silver Member
Username: Panamanian

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 113
I am FULLY NOOB about car audio... today while reading I read some review and they were saying something about "the break-in time" in subwoofers.

please explain.

gracias.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 798
Breaking in is that period like you have with a new pair of shoes. They feel tight and uncomfortable, but after gradual wear on them, they start to loosen, and mold to your foot. Same goes for speakers, don't start by blasting them. Work them up to louder volumes for about a week or so.

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 279
kickers blow easy if u dont break them in

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3964
new sub parts r stiff & 'needs 2 be excercised' in rough terms sorta like if u buy a new pair of sneakers u wouldn't go running a long race .

same reasoning like if u build a new engine - parts need 2 be broken in.

in spite of this ppl are anxious & blast their subs the moment they install it in but believe me suds sound better after being broken in after some time ....

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 350
"Kickers blow easy if u dont break them in"
nonsense they might blow if you crank them into distortion thinking "they should be louder" I've never went through the steps to break in a sub, I just play it like normal and let them wear in on there own.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 282
well, thats just what i heard. some1 wrote a review and blew 3 kicker subs in like 2 days

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3966
oh , i'm a slow typer cause tyler said close 2 what i was saying -lol........

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 283
my dad has this small machine that takes the 120 volts from the wall and u can lower it.u can put like 5 or 6 volts to a sub for a while to breakit in

Bronze Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 82
install them properly and listen to them. Break-in will take care of itself.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 800
Lol, it's all good. Obviously shoes are the best way to compare subs being broken in! :-)

Um...I don't know that in house current, is the PROPER way to do that. It's that kind of current (DC right?) that blows subs when they are clipping. Why in the world would that help to break them in?

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 317
heh heh,when i first got my sub i played it lowww for like 2 seconds.......then i went dial crazy.....and my sub works fine.....well atleast i think so

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Jacksonville, Florida U.S.

Post Number: 270
when i got my 1st subs...set there for about 5 seconds with it down low...then had to crank it i couldnt help it lol...they're still running fine had them about a year and a half

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky.. USA duh

Post Number: 1262
lol when i get much sub...ima use a crappy HU for a week, and weld the dials so i dont turn it lmao

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1435
i just did what brian did. just play it however you want and let it break in naturally. what harm can you do to it. i didn't read anything on the manual that came with the sub saying you should play it at lower volume for a couple of weeks until they are broken in.

Username: 420pimp

Post Number: 5
This break in myth should be on mythbusters to see if its true or not.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4430
The break in period is more to listen to the sub to hear if you hear anything loose or ratling that can be fixed before you just go and crank it and make small problems into big problems. turn it on and turn it up 1/4-1/2 and go back to the sub and listen and inspect it. Feel the box for a lot of vibration which shouldnt be there or the box making noise or leaking air. Once you find out everything is all good then up it can go:-)

Anonymous

how long does might it take to break in a sub??

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4013
Well like new sneakers nobody said 2 ONLY walk easy on carpet with it for less than an hr everyday . U can go run a marathon if u want with it but it will eventually break in just like a sub .

No 1 ever said that IT MUST BE BROKEN IN OR ELSE IT WILL SPOIL ! - breaking in (in speakers/subs) is just a rough term of what will happen eventually naturally happen over time with it ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us