Sealed or ported

Bronze Member
Username: Buddyleee5

Post Number: 89
i have 2 12" re se's ion a lincoln ls and am thinking of of doing a custom fiberglass box sealed. would i be better off doing a ported mdf box? i listen to alot of rap i was also thinking of getting 2 more subs and doing a custom fiberglass box with all 4 subs or is it not worth using fiberglass?

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 515
mdf ported..

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 343
4 12's in a sealed fiberglass would be amazing. but if you dont want to spend the money just do ported.

Username: Chevydriver

Mason, OH US

Post Number: 4
The fiberglass would be neat, but the thing you have to worry about is if one of the subs aren't working. You will have the air from the other three hittin it, which would damage the sub. But if you have separate chambers for all four subs, then you should be fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
its my first experience using fiberglass so im not sure if i would be able to get the 4 chambers down. ive read all the tutorials and i have a pretty good idea and feel like i could do it, just not the 4 chambers im considering the 4 subs tho, would be unique

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5152
Fiberglassing isn't as easy as it looks, and if you were to screw it up (not saying you would or you can't do it), it would be a VERY costly mistake. It's pretty tough to get a large sub box like that done even for an experienced person, much less someone that hasn't done it before.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 799
^ agreed.. if you could get away with it you could make an mdf box and fibreglass around the box for the same look.. i went for a bigass fibreglass box .. screwed it up after spending $200+ on just fibreglass

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
it doesnt seem like it would be too hard. i have heard different things. the hard part seems like it is when you have to cover the fleece with the glass. does anyone know someone who has done it that i could consult with questions or anyone know where i could find someone to build one. i found a place online that cost like 600 for what i watned. I guess i would rather spend 200 and take the chance of makin a mistake because for the same price i could make it 3 times and get the feeling of staisfaction tha i did it myself.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 801
hey , were not saying dont do it.. if u wanna learn and willing to have wasted a few bucks IF you screw up then go for it, its pretty fun to work with (and messy) .. just dont expect a perfect box your first time around

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1909
hot subject as of late

http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/index.htm
there are others on the site

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5157
Applying the resin isn't the problem for a first timer. It's mixing the hardener right according to temperature, and knowing just how much to mix for the job you're doing. If you don't mix it right, it'll either not dry properly or harden too quickly. You also have to make sure you roll the air bubbles out of it so you get some strength out of whatever you're glassing. It's just learning the procedure of it, after you get the feel of it, it's not bad at all. I'd just recommend you start on something smaller, like a kick panel or something.

In the case of the sub box, it's going to be that above plus getting the shape of the box right, and guessing correct airspace.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
i wanna do this but you guys are making me think twice about it. i think it would be cool to do the 4 subs but i dont know how it is all gonna fit together.i think im gonna try and do a 6x9 box or something first then ill move onto the subs doing 2 12s in the middle and 2 10s on the sides to get a different look. i want it to be unique

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1913
"i think im gonna try and do a 6x9 box or something first"
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/Glassing1/index.htm

here is a good technical pg with the materials to buy.
http://www.fibreglast.com/contentpages-fundamentals-41.html

Bronze Member
Username: Greeney

Grove, MN US

Post Number: 97
Matt- dont mix up the subs like 2 10s and 2 12s, make it all one size, it will sound a lot better with them all one size
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us