Alpine Type aRgh

Bronze Member
Username: 225

H-Town, PA USA

Post Number: 23
Well for the past two weeks I have been tweeking my system non-stop. I have an Alpine Type R and a Kicker kx400.1. For some reason this sub and amp combo do not seem to be bumping very hard at all. I currently have the gains on my amp set almost to max, and even with it set so high I'm still not feeling the bass. So my question is, is it normal for the gains on the amp to be set at almost max when the rms output of the amp is a little below the rms handling of my sub? (kicker=447rms, type R=500rms)

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3304
As long as the preamp/drive signal has sufficient level, the amplifier will produce its maximum power output level. The gain controls are used to match the amplifer's gain to the gain of the other amplifiers in the system (in the case of a multi-amp system). The gain controls also allow you to match the amplifier(s) to the head unit. Not all head units have the same maximum preamp output voltage.

U might want to look into a more powerful system

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1370
those alpines can handle more than 500wrms. if you get an amp that will slightly overpower those Rs, you would be surprised at how they sound.

i used to have 2 type Rs hooked up to my kx1200.1 and it sounded nice and loud. my kx1200.1 had a birthsheet of 1430wrms 14.4v.

Bronze Member

H-Town, PA USA

Post Number: 24
but shouldn't this system be bumping really loud?
And should i have my gain up this high?

do you think there is something wrong with the wiring, or is it normal for one type r to just put out a little bit of bass?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1374
check the wiring on your sub to make sure you have a 2ohm load going in to your amp. that amp is 400wrms at 2ohms. your gain should not be up that high.

Bronze Member

H-Town, PA USA

Post Number: 25
Okay so this is how I wired the sub. It came with two banana plugs.

i put one going from positive to positive

and the other

from negative to negative.

then i took the speaker wire and put one in with the banana plug in the positive and one in the banana plug in the negative and ran it out.

this would give me a 2 ohm load right?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3905
if u did it like this then yea

Upload

is ur box ported ?????.........

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3909