SPL JL Quick Question

Kyle D
Unregistered guest
Which 2 JL products would I use to gain the most spl? I know there are better spl subs but I kinda of what to buy a JL.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 675
JL 13W7's and 1000/1's

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3120
yep^^

Kyle D
Unregistered guest
I kinda what two subs...so what would the best spl with 2 jl subs? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3124
2 13w7's, but 1 13w7 in an ho box would be amazing

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 207
brandon told u that numnut. 2 jl 13w7

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5068
15W3v2 or 18W3s in a ported box with tons of power. W7s aren't SPL subs.

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 209
i heard 2 15" w3 subs at a store demo, then i heard 1 10" w7 and it was a lot louder

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5072
That's because stores don't build SPL enclosures. In a sealed box, a W7 is going to do better. In a ported box designed for SPL and power, a 15W3v2 will cream a W7 in output.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 814
what, i know a guy that has 4 18inch w3's in bigass ported enclousers and 2 kicker sx1250.1 amps and was only hittin in the high 140 range.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5077
In 2000, Super Sound Electronics of Florida used 5 15W3s (not even the W3v2s) and 5 amps totalling 10,000 watts total, and posted a 171.7db score. Name how many W7s you've seen in the 170s. That's why all the he-said she-said my friend stuff isn't always the best way to make a decision.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 819
well i seen the guys car, it was a van, but it wasn't a wall just 2 bigass ported boxes sittin in the back, then i asked how loud it got and he said in the high 140's.

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Jacksonville, Florida U.S.

Post Number: 107
that would be like 2000 watts to each of the subs

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 824
this is off topic but why would you use w3's if you had 10,000watts of power to play with, if i had that much power i would use 2 18inch shocker neo-sigs and still be as loud if not louder than the w3's.

Silver Member
Username: Nocc1n

US

Post Number: 155
I think the new record is held by w7's. Like 3 12's in a F150, thats what I heard somewhere i think... could be wrong though...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5082
"well i seen the guys car, it was a van, but it wasn't a wall just 2 bigass ported boxes sittin in the back, then i asked how loud it got and he said in the high 140's."

A van is big enough that it's really hard to hit 140s in. The only vans that get loud are ones with walls. The W7s that hit 140s are in smaller cars like hatchbacks and fastbacks.

"this is off topic but why would you use w3's if you had 10,000watts of power to play with, if i had that much power i would use 2 18inch shocker neo-sigs and still be as loud if not louder than the w3's."

I agree. The topic was just about JL, IMO the W3v2s are the better option. W7 just isn't a ported box performer, BL isn't high enough and the suspension isn't geared for it.

"I think the new record is held by w7's. Like 3 12's in a F150, thats what I heard somewhere i think... could be wrong though..."

Probably in a given power class.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 832
"A van is big enough that it's really hard to hit 140s in. The only vans that get loud are ones with walls. The W7s that hit 140s are in smaller cars like hatchbacks and fastbacks".
Damn i guess kicker solo x's are loud as fvck then cause there is some van that has 2 18inch solo x's and like 4 2500.1 and hit 168db.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5085
"Damn i guess kicker solo x's are loud as fvck then cause there is some van that has 2 18inch solo x's and like 4 2500.1 and hit 168db."

Jesus Christ, you're comparing an obvious competition setup with some idiot with subs thrown in the back of a van. You of all people know 168db is so far from easy that it renders this comparison totally pointless. Unless Mr. 4 18W3s has his subs tuned to the resonant frequency of the van, which I doubt, with excessive sound deadening, which I doubt, with enough power, which is obviously inadequate, with excessive bracing, which I again doubt, don't waste my and your time talking. I can't help that you ran upon a guy with a shitty implementation of W3s. Like my above post suggests, the potential is there. It's up to the person to take advantage of it. You can do all the comparisons you want to, the "this guy" "that guy" stuff is pointless. I could very well do a crappy install of Solo X's and hit 120s. At least level the playing field and allow the same caliber installers to tackle the job. Like the example above with 5 W3s and 10,000 watts.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 836
ok, well you said is was very hard to hit 140 and above in vans so i thought u were talking about any install not just sql systems thats y i brought up the solo x's, and i wasn't comparing them to the w3's. and how does he have inadequate power each sub is getting 600watts which i know is over their rms.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 837
ok lets see if it bumps it this time.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5093
"ok, well you said is was very hard to hit 140 and above in vans so i thought u were talking about any install not just sql systems thats y i brought up the solo x's, and i wasn't comparing them to the w3's. and how does he have inadequate power each sub is getting 600watts which i know is over their rms."

I was referring to a SQL setup since I was assuming that's what the guy had. That's why I said it's hard to hit 140s in a van like that.

600W RMS isn't near enough for an SPL application. Thousands will be needed. A ported box at tuning offers huge mechanical control over a woofer. Being mechanical, you can keep packing power on the driver and getting louder and louder. You can only do this for so long, which is why competitors "burp". But you'd need at least a good 2000 each, if not more than that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us