Anything cheaper than JL AUDIO

Username: Optomistic

Bountiful, Utah United states

Post Number: 3
Im looking for subs and two amps. I know that JL is the best, I just want to know if there is anything comparable in sound quality but is maybe a little cheaper in price. Please no comments on RF I hear the sq is poor when it comes to their stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1791
"I know that JL is the best"

careful. you'll start a fight:-)

you didn't mention a price range, but:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/768492/5

Bronze Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 100
that is some good stuff, if you work at a bank that doent mind if you steal

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 101
IMO, car audio is 80% opinion 20% money, ( you get what you pay for)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1793
80% install
20% product

most (if not all) of the subs listed cost less than jl's uppers

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 402
but the thing is if JL can make the money then they're going to charge what they want people will pay b/c of the prestige JL has. I understand about people being frustrated w/ the pricing of JL. I was able to get ridiculous deals on my current JL setup so I am biased to them and I don't see the pricing as that big of a deal. but there is only so much people can spend and if your budget is limited you do have to look elsewhere i had to put off JL for a couple of years till i could have exactly what i wanted. the appeal of JL is that they are good quality and do back themselves up and they are always well represented at car shows and other events. they are a good company who knows how to do good business.

Brock, as far as comparable stuff to JL there is RE audio, Image Dynamics whose subs have good SQ and my second favorite under JL is Eclipse.

Username: Optomistic

Bountiful, Utah United states

Post Number: 6
Thanks ucfsaxman I appreciate the good info. mikechec sorry about the "jl is the best" I just have been reading around and that seems what a majority of people like except the fact they are so darn expensive. Anyway Thank everyone for the info

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5046
JL is proven to be reliable and sound great, and they make great stuff overall. "The Best" is of course subjective, but they're up there in many aspects of their product lineup, especially their subwoofers. I'd say they're the best overall in their products, just not the best once you take the individual products into account. It's like saying you think Toyota has the best overall car lineup, but then you take the individual product into account and decide the F-150 is better than a Tundra, a Civic over a Corolla, a Dakota over a Tacoma, and so forth. It just means their overall product is competent and there isn't one thing they have that really sucks.

Bronze Member
Username: Vinnyqh

Portland, OR

Post Number: 64
I don't know, i hate JL. In my opinion, diamond is a much better company overall. They are very like and only produce speakers and amps, and i think that the diamons sound WAY cleaner. I do have to admit though, that the marketing manager of JL is a genius.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 802
i like their logo, its simple but looks nice.

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 237
i compared rf and JL

my brother vs his friend

both sound good to me
unless were talking about highs i wouldnt cancel rockford out of this

compare power vs 1000/1 for ur self ud be surprised at the little diffrence you can notice

but of course im not getting neither

im goin zapco and......I WILL NOT LOOSE!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1823
ditto what jonathan said. except, i think zapco is an arguably comparable brand.
particularly if their new subs shine like the rest of their line does.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1825

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5054
Maybe I should have said from a mainstream aspect that have a full product lineup (aside from HUs, anyway). Although, come to think of it, DLS is pretty high up there and they do have amps, subs, speakers, wiring, etc. Very good brand overall as well.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5058
JL is ONE of the best, then again, what may be great for one, may not be for another.
I've tested both JL and Zapco and so far, I can't find any faults. Yes the price is high, but you have to remember, you never get something for nothing. JL and Zapco are still US made, other companies are in the process or have shifted to overseas. So before you compare brands against those 2, check the country of origin.
Another thing, cheap companies have very poor customer service/warranty.
JL for example, if you send in their W7 sub for repair, they will simply replace it with a brand new product. I know first hand cause the W7 I sent was almost 3 years old, and the one I got back was manufactured Sept 05.

For those that bash JL/Zapco, try testing one in person first, then make up your mind.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4348
amen Isaac! I think that JL is a top notch company with excellent customer service as Isaac said. Is there better for the money? thats arguable, is there = to for the money sure but you cant walk into most high end car audio shops and find RE or Adire or most of the time even Zapco. They are very well known and for most amatuers they are though of as the best. I have used them many times in the past and been nothing but impressed.

"JL is proven to be reliable and sound great, and they make great stuff overall. "The Best" is of course subjective, but they're up there in many aspects of their product lineup, especially their subwoofers. I'd say they're the best overall in their products, just not the best once you take the individual products into account. It's like saying you think Toyota has the best overall car lineup, but then you take the individual product into account and decide the F-150 is better than a Tundra, a Civic over a Corolla, a Dakota over a Tacoma, and so forth. It just means their overall product is competent and there isn't one thing they have that really sucks."

This is true JL does not make one think that you can call BAD! even the w1 line it might not be a w7 but its again like Isaac said apples to apples a w1 vs a re re is a great comparison and it would shine. It is an entry level sub and people need to remember that. Now a w7 will compete with the best of them, SQ is judgemental but SPL #'s are for real.

Michael J0nes
Unregistered guest
pyle amps are great

Gold Member

Post Number: 1840
"JL and Zapco are still US made, other companies are in the process or have shifted to overseas."

jl amps are designed in arizona, but manufactured/built/produced in korea and china.

zapco isn't far off. but i agree, both are still top notch companies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1846
hey isaac, how was the move?

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 440
yes finally the experts defending JL who understand the full aspects of the company. and i agree about how you can't walk into a shop and here RE for that reason i will never buy them. there is no way i would spend money on something over the internet that i have never heard or seen in person.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1851
well, if re is going the same direction as adire, you will indeed be able to purchase direct from stores. that's the only way you will get the new adires (authorized).
i'm not even cerrtain if they are going to have acoustic visions as an authorized dealer.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5078
Mikechec9 are you sure JL is made in China? Mine says USA. Maybe the left over inventory in Canada is still US made.

The move was very slow. Didn't have internet for over a month.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1855
moving is when you find out who your true friends are.
i'm speaking specifically about the amps being made in china and korea.
they are pretty forward about it though. it should state it on the packaging.

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 77
yeah, they toured the w7 line on an episode of ride with funkmaster flex. yes, I sometimes watch that show.......It was pretty cool though seeing how they come together, and are completely assembled by hand.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5084
JLs amps are made in Korea. They do have a system that notifies them when any QC issues are had, so that they can document and handle any problems.

The majority of their subs (W3s, W6s and W7s) are made in Florida, and they make their own parts for them (W6s, W7s). The only thing they don't make for the W7 are the screws that mount them to the box. The cheaper subs are made in China, I believe, but with a similar QC system as used for the amplifiers.

The components are made in Germany and the cones/suspensions for those components are made by Kurt Mueller, who is very highly regarded and has made for many high end home manufacturers.

As far as the amps, JL has very good amplifiers. They AREN'T a Zapco, though. Zapcos are handmade in California to extremely stringent tolerances, using the best they can get for anything they make. You can't beat the quality of a Zapco amplifier. People will complain about the price, but if treated right, a Zapco amp will last over a decade. Many a lifetime. Beats the crap out of buying multiple budget amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1867
zapco makes the reference and c2k (not the band) in CA (modesto, i believe).
the I-force (who cares) has always been made overseas. the scary part is that their new digital reference series will have parts made overseas too. so, it suggests that if companies such as JL and DLS can maintain QC and cut costs by off-shoring, why wouldn't zapco?

this is who makes the PG, and i think they also make the JL amps as well. http://www.fydco.com/sams/index.htm

i don't think any comapny will have products made in the us in the next 10 years.
the blueprint has been laid and capitalism dictates that largest margins are the rule. period. it's just a matter of time before all else assimilate (if you will).
and don't get me started on Dell.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1868
oh yeah, the van goghs were made in california too (bragging rights):-)

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 107
JL is too trendy, people just buy it because they think its the best (wheather what they get is or not) without doing any research b4 getting it, reminds me of ipods, i hate them

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3229
^^^lol, ipods,lol, the name is so silly

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3230
makes me think of the 1st matrix, the pod thingy that neo came out of, with all the slush.lol

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5088
Yeah, I forgot the Iforce. Like you said though, who cares.

Their components will be built by their sister company, ESB of Italy.

BTW, mike, have you seen the CA&E review of the Polk SR6500s? Those things got EXTREMELY high reviews, right with the SEAS Lotus and Morel Elates.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1872
yeah, 80/100 i think it was. i was really excited that polk had gotten back to its roots in reference drivers and away from the bright labels and glitz of rims promos (completely inappropriate and out of place, imo). i was curious as to the advantage of the ring-radiator highs. havn't seen these used in comparable components (and of course i'm quite the novice in HA, so i havn't noticed them there either). clearly, there are advantages, but the article didn't elaborate on the design. since i'm not really well versed in tweeter design, i'm not really certain how the mechanics compare to those of the other "heavy hitters". but again, the article read as if it definitely gets the job done. i'm impressed with the (2way!) set as a whole. i'm sure it won't be long before you give them your well respected "once over."
http://www.polkaudio.com/education/tech_article.php?id=22

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5089
What did the Lotus get, out of curiosity? I can't remember if it was even with the Polks or slightly higher. I believe the Lotus are still their highest ranked set, but I'm not sure.

Ring Radiators are used by DST (Scanspeak, Vifa, Peerless) mainly. They have two pivot points, and the voice coil connects between those two to support the driver better. They have a phase plug to smooth out high frequencies as tweeter beams. They are very good tweeter designs and do a good job of giving a flat frequency response and smooth sound quality.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5090
Basically, you aren't going to see Ring Radiators in a home audio system unless it costs tens of thousands of dollars. But if you DIY, you can of course build your own set with them ;)

One thing I'm considering building is the Linkwitz Orion project.
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_challenge.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1875
"One thing I'm considering building is the Linkwitz Orion project."
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_challenge.htm

aahhh. week-end reading:-)
i still havn't been able to find that issue.
it bothers me b/c wifey swears she didn't toss it (...) it was a really objective review, though.
so i'll look some more tomorrow. i know the zapco ck16.2 received an equal score of 80/100 (varying slightly in point allocation), so it was definitely higher than both. finding it will be on my list. it's the only issue i can't account for.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5091
You should consider the Orion project. From what I've heard, one listen and you'll forget mobile audio ever existed :-) I gotta try some
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us