Whats the Difference Between a Wedge and a Rectangle Box

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmikelazott

Independence, Oregon This one

Post Number: 23
ive heard that an angled box is supposed to be better. im not really sure. is there any difference if the box is the same size, but one box has a flat front and the other box has an angled front? some guy at my college said that angled boxes sound better than just sqaure ones. is that true?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 682
i wouldn't think so, just as long as theres enough clearance behind the magnet for air flow and the box is bilt to appropriate specs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
thank you, thats what i thought. i really didnt think it made a difference.

Silver Member
Username: Ishkabobble55

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 136
im pretty sure it does. in a rectangle box the side the sub is on is flat and the side behinde it is, this makes it so when sound waves come from the sub moving towards the back of the box the waves hit the back and bounce back to the front and hit the front and the process continues until the wave dissipates. in a box with an angled front the waves come from the sub hit the back off the box bounce back towards the front hit there then they are moved into a different direction and pretty soon there bouncing all over the box from corner to corner and so on. so there is a difference

Silver Member
Username: Ishkabobble55

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 137
im pretty sure it does. in a rectangle box the side the sub is on is flat and the side behinde it is, this makes it so when sound waves come from the sub moving towards the back of the box the waves hit the back and bounce back to the front and hit the front and the process continues until the wave dissipates. in a box with an angled front the waves come from the sub hit the back off the box bounce back towards the front hit there then they are moved into a different direction and pretty soon there bouncing all over the box from corner to corner and so on. so there is a difference

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3841
^^^ its a term called 'standing waves' - read about it some where

Can't remember if there's any audible difference but its a hell of alot more work 2 build a slant front box so 4 me i'll stick 2 my reg 90 degree front/back boxes ........

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5105
In a sense what you're talking about is true. A perfectly square box will have standing waves, and a wedge front prevents this from happening. A rectangular box, not so much the case.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3842
but will there be any audible difference or is it just a physics theory/scientific thing ???.......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
yeah, will it be worth my time to do all the angle cuts? will it sound that much better?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us