Alpine M500 tuning questions

Bronze Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Post Number: 18
I have many different modes that I can go through on the amp to change certain settings. However being new to car audio I have no idea what the hell they mean or do. I do not know what setting is the correct or "best," and was looking for a point in the right direction...

INPUT MODE: I can select 1channel or 2channel.

INPUT LEVEL ADJUSTMENT: It lets me select .5-1-2-4 volts. I don't know what this does.

LOW PASS FILTER: I can either turn it on or off, then it gives me frequencies to choose from, ranging from 30 to 200Hz. Again not quite sure what this does.

SUBSONIC FILTER: Same as the LPF, I can turn it on or off and adjust the range from 15-50Hz.

PARAMETRIC EQUALIZER: Can be turned on or off, frequency ranges on manual say: fc = 30-160Hz. I have the option to adjust the "width" from .5-1-2-3-4-5, and also the equalizer level from +/-12dB

BASS COMPENSATOR: Can be turned on or off.

The rest of the settings I don't think I need to worry about, but they are TIME CORRECTION, AMPLIFIER ID, and PHASE (0 or 180).

Sorry about the nub questions I just wanted to make sure that sub was getting all it could from the amp. Sub is a Kappa Perfect 10.1D

Probably going to upgrade later to something else... but for now just needed help!

TIA,

Dave

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 784
input mode.. you will want to put on 1 chan.. your using a mono amp to 1 subwoofer so u cant really send to diff signals to it.. if you were running 2 subs in stereo u would use the 2 chan setting

input level is pretty importand.. this is what u have to match to your headunit voltage.. if your head unit voltage is 2 volts you select 2 volts on the amp.. if setup wrong u can clip (send them more power than the amp is capable of producing.. sends DC current) your subs and fry them

low pass filter cuts the freqencies below the range selected.. with subs you will probably want to keep it arounf 70hz

subsonic filter is used with ported boxes.. ported boxes are tuned to a certain freqency.. lets say you have a prted box tuned to 40 hz.. you will set the subsonic to around 35 hz. it is like the low pass filter in that it cuts the frequencies below 35 hz so the subwoofer does not overextend and damage itself

parametric eq. is an equalizer in your amp .. u can boost a certain frequency range .. the "Q" is the width of the curve.. smaller the number the wider the curve.. and u can boost how much louder it will be by how many decibals "db".

bass compensator im not exactly sure what this one does.. i think it is a preset eq curve in your amp though that boosts certain frequencies

time correction you dun really need to worry about.. it just adjusts when the sub hits.. if the sub is fairly far away u can adjust it so it plays a little sooner so the sound hits your ears at the right time

phase is how the sub is mounted.. 0 for standard mount 180 for inverted.. amplifier id is for alpines amplifier link unit.. u can id amps and control it from your HU

Bronze Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Post Number: 19
Thanks for reply Mark,

I do not have a ported box so I would be alright turning that filter off? Is the parametric eq. something that I even need to play around with? Thanks for the explanations makes it easier to understand now.

Dave

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 788
yes turn it off in a sealed box.. with the paratric eq .. depends.. if you find the sub is lacking in a certain frequency range u could increase the level with it .. i leave mine off, no reason not to play around with it a little bit.. might like the outcome
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us