New Ology Audio Mids FINALY

Bronze Member
Username: Ologyaudio

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 43
Well everyone we finally have mids coming!

Adire will be sending out the protos on Monday... then we'll start the full run and preorder stuff

I should have pics, updates and all of that by middle of next week and then we'll open it up for orders

get them while they're hot... it's a *very* limited run and these are some incredible speakers

since I know now I thought I'd post up the specs that I've been keeping under my hat for so long

read it and weep for joy fellas... we'll reach audio heaven in less than a week

XBL^2 Motor, massive short paths (check out the inductance), phase plug...

The standard mids will have the following cosmetic features:
black banana pulp cone, black foam surround (lighter and better performance at close to xmax than rubber... Shouldn't fall apart like the oldschool foam since it is treated), black rubber gasket, and polished aluminum phase plug

Re: 3.25 Ohms per voice coil
Le: 0.09 mH per voice coil
BL: 8.6 N/A
Mms: 8.9 grams
Sd: 126 cm^2
Cms: 0.75 mm/N
Fs: 61 Hz
Qms: 3.4
Qes: 0.30
Qts: 0.28
Vas: 16.7 liters
Xmax: 12mm one way
SPL: 93 dB @ 1W, 1m

There will be 3 component sets that use this line of mid. A budget set in the mid $200s. A mid level set in the mid??? 300s, and a high end set in the mid-upper 600s.

We're going to be using a silk dome Dayton Neo tweeter for the low line... cause we just tested it and it's freaking fantastic in SQ and for the money... This means less expensive, better sounding comps.

The mid end set will be using a LPG tweeter and a more carefully designed lower compromise 3rd order xover. This component set would be comparable to high end rainbow offerings... Rainbow Plat/Reference...

Probably the best sounding 2-way with the 6.5" I can imagine designing:
High level set, 24db/octave Xovers using the highest end film capacitors and foil inductors (these can make a large SQ difference), Seas Lotus Tweeters!!, a higher end Ology 6.5 mid variant, with more copper in the motor for lower inductance and better cooling, and a bronze color cone coned (possibly a gold plated phase plug) ~= $650 + shipping

The raw drivers are available as well for DIY. We are looking at no more than $65/ea for the preorder + shipping...

We'll have some comparisons in a week or so with distortion etc. compared to the likes of W series Seas (*EXCEL*), Scanspeak Rev's etc.

I won't be doing the testing... independent tester Mark K will... but I expect them to beat all the other speakers he's tested... so for this speaker for $60...

These will extend to about 6khz without any added distortion products and 10khz pretty flat

I think that is all the info out of a 26 page thread condensed into one...

Merry Xmas ;)

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5037
Looks like a midbass that'll work well in a kick panel :-).

Bronze Member
Username: Ologyaudio

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 44
yea -- small ported kick would be best -- or some EQ would be wanted by some people unless you don't mind a relaxed midbass ;) -- It is still about as efficient as the extremis down low... I'd still look for reasonable impact above 65hz or so IB w/o any EQing. With EQ at reasonable levels you may not need a sub unless you are a bass head ;) -- more bass output though than many 8" subwoofers...

Username: Feandil

Post Number: 5
93db/w with 100w RMS is what I love ;)

Matthew Rich = Ology audio guy who designed this and dylan's partner ;)

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 650
Sounds like its gonna be cranky. No mid bass and high SPL. Ugh, yuck! Might as well get a 2" driver.

A few things have changed since the original post. 93 dB and not 94.

Also,

I inputed the numbers you have here and bass box pro says the Bl should 6.9 not 8.6.

Like I said, you aint gonna get a Bl of 8.6 with a Mms of 8.9. The cone is too light. Most drivers with a Bl of 9 are 8" or bigger, and they have a Mms of 22 grams not 8.9. More weight and a high energy motor yields more force factor.

I still wanna see the FR graph.

Post Number: 6
ummmm sry mixneffect

you're inputing the parameters wrong... it IS 8.6 N/A and mms IS 8.9 g

you need to remember that when you put in RE you need to have 6.5 ohm NOT 3.25 as it's a dual voice coil speaker

oh and no midbass?

midbass is from 80hz to 300hz

this is what it looks like graphed in IB for your doors

http://excelsioraudio.tripod.com/graphs/index.album?i=0

just something to look at

it's easily useable in IB to 80hz... ported easily to 60hz... that's a very very nice low end given efficency

Matthew Rich
Ology audio

Post Number: 7
oh and since you have a small BB6 comparo there

you'll see this is made to mate in a car around 80hz

however you need to release what this allows if you try and get more low end out of a speaker

SPL IS EXCURSION

so to get 110db at 100hz is was less excursion in IB then at 50hz

for instance sticking your Extremis in a door you might get to 60hz... but you'll be stuck with around 104db max SPL... and even if you cross to 100hz you won't see anything above 106-107db because of thermal reasons possibly needing 400-500w to get this

this will get you 113db from 100hz to 6khz or so off of 125-150w

just a thought... it's not for everyone... if you want 50hz with volume you'll need a 3-way... and this is just about the most perfect midrange

and for $62 during the preorder each it can't be beat when it'll probably outdo the Seas W18...

we'll find out soon enough anyway

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5045
I'm more concerned about the SQ than the SPL of it. It's a given that the driver will be efficient, the question is if the cone will be rigid enough to avoid massive energy storage issues throughout the midrange, especially when you want it to perform up to 6k or even 10k. I'm waiting for a waterfall plot.

A W18 has good midbass performance, but not the best. What is good about the W18 is that it is one of the only 7" midbass drivers that provides exceptional midrange clarity at the same time and has extremely low distortion. If you want to topple it, midrange frequencies are where your focus needs to be.

Post Number: 8
that's the plan jonathan and the goal dan understood in it's design

resonances are pushed well beyond midrange frequencies from what I understand

but yes you're correct we're all waiting for those waterfalls ;)

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 651
If each coil is 3.25 ohm and you say input 6.5 ohm for dcr, then you are wiring them in series.

Correct?

Post Number: 9
yes all parameters are measured in series... and therefore that is the way to do it

you don't want to try and use the DVC within BB6 as it's troublesome to get it to graph right

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 708
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us