***help with ohms****

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 158
can your sub last longer depending on how many ohms u have it wired to...will a sub playing at 4 ohms take less of a beating than a sub with runing at 1 ohm...if they both had the same amount of watts powering them???

so u have one sub wired to 1 ohm...play it with a 1000 watt rms at 1 ohm amp

then u have a sub wired to 4 ohms...play it with a 1000 watt rms at 4 ohms amp

will one sub last longer or im a just wrong??

a professional installer told me i shouldgo with a one ohm setup..he said at one ohm..the voice coils all move as one..therfore puttting more power each note..

what should i do?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4305
ohms do not effect a speaker they effect the way an amp will produce power to a speaker that is all.

Bronze Member
Username: Swishblank88

Vashon Island, WA USA

Post Number: 47
wtf that installer smoked a fat rock of crack right before he talked to you. like james said ohms dont affect a speaker at all, they are made with a specific resistance and you cant really wire a sub to make it have a different ohm rating. Ohms really describe how much work an amp will do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
i dont know if i should get 2 4 ohms dvc's or 2 3 ohms dvc's

what ones shouldi get..what has more options for the amps that are out...which choice casn i make the best system with..or does it just not matter..just deoends on what you wantto do???
or is there one choice thats beter

Bronze Member

Vashon Island, WA USA

Post Number: 49
it depends on the amp you get. In general you will probably have more luck with the 4 ohm DVC because unless your running an odd # of subs 1.5 ohms or 6 ohms dont match up to well to most amps, or .75 ohms and 3 ohms if your having 2 subs. id go with the 4 ohm DVC

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 165
Id go with the 4 cause 3 ohms parallel is 1.5ohms which is very uncommon in amp.....wait a minute where the hell did u find a 3ohm dvc??

Bronze Member

Vashon Island, WA USA

Post Number: 51
no i mean if you had 2 subs wired in parallel coils and subs it would be .75 ohms. In parallel/series it would be 3 ohms (3*2=6 6/2=3). For one speaker it ends up being either 1.5 or 6.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
i didnt mean 3 ohms subs..i mean 2 ohm dvcs and 4 ohm dvcs...same question again ahha sorry

Bronze Member

Vashon Island, WA USA

Post Number: 52
lol wow umm yeah will you have 2 subs or 1? if 1 sub get the 2 ohm. if 2 subs get the 4 ohm. just my opinion for most applications and ease of wiring.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
well im getting 2 subs..i just cant decide..and then i dont know if i will use one amp or two..one amp to power each sub maybe

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
well im getting 2 subs..i just cant decide 4 ohm dvc or 2 ohm dvc..and then i dont know if i will use one amp or two..one amp to power each sub maybe

Bronze Member
Username: Kasadude

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 72
uh oh my cousin just got a couple of dvc 2 ohms subs how would he go about wiring those (anyway to get 2 ohms - or maybe 1 ohm

Bronze Member

Vashon Island, WA USA

Post Number: 54
you wire the coils in series and then wire the open (leftover) terminals on the coils of each speaker together on the amp terminals. called series/parallel wiring will give you 2 ohms but cant get 1 ohm, can get 1/2 ohm though. blaine get the 4 ohm and use one amp, it will save you money and space

Bronze Member
Username: Kasadude

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 73
ah ok thanks nick

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
when u wire them together to one amp..they can only be wired as .5ohms ( not agood idea).....2 ohms....8 ohms (not a goodidea)

to get 2ohms ur lookin at series wiring for each sub individuay (when theres dvcs have to wire each sub indivdualy first then conect them)..now each sub is 4 ohms..then u wire them together in paralel tto get a final of 2 ohms

u cant wire them both togeter to one amp at 1 ohm...but get two amps and wire them in parallel and u got 1 ohm going to each amp..but not many amps are 1 ohm stable..so those subs are fine..bc u will get more power to them with them wired at 2 ohms

Bronze Member

Vashon Island, WA USA

Post Number: 55
im going to bed, good luck

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
nick then i will get 2 subs and 2 amps

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
nevermind i see what ur saying..readit wrong..so u say 2 dual 4 ohms..and one amp

Bronze Member

Vashon Island, WA USA

Post Number: 56
yeah. get a hifonics bx2000d amp or something if your tight on cash. they are 1 ohm stable, a lot of class d amps are and they are more efficent

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
thanks alot
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us