2 12w6v2 in seal box or 1 12w7 in H.O. box?

Anonymous

I have the opportunity to get either one, just wondering which would be better? Either setup would be powered by a JL 1000/1 amp. Which would be louder, deeper?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2654
I whould go with 2 12w6v2's. Has the potential to be louder and deeper. You will also get Excellant Sound Quality with the w6v2's. I have 2 of them in the JL prowedge box and i whouldnt trade them out for anything at this point.

Anonymous

nah man the 12w7 has a bigger magnet than the 2 12w6v2 combined so it will be louder. also jl audio h.o. box is better than using a sealed box. someone prove me wrong

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2143
magnet size mean nothing

Anonymous

all the loudest subs have the biggest magnets

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2148
2 12w6v2 has twice the cone area then a single 12w7, so the 2 will be louder then 1, so in this and every other case magnet size mean nothing.

http://www.bcae1.com/
Basic Car Audio Electronics

Leroy Jones
Unregistered guest
is that so? yet 1 10w7 is louder than 2 15w3?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2160
no way that a 10w7 full powered in its proper enclousure is louder than 2 15w3's fully powered in there proper enclousure

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1680
ohh boy. magnet size means about as much as those huge spoilers on the little bottle rocket 4cylinders. they often do more damage than good (or absolutely nothing at all). most magnets, even those on my brahmas, don't serve a purpose to constitute their size. and yet even more subs worsen performance by having too much force without parameters to adequately control the field. the huge magnets are a marketing pitch at best among most all sub manufacturers. in fact, if you notice some neodymium motors, the size is significantly smaller than a ceramic/traditional magnet. all things being equal, such subs are well known for superior Bl (costly, though). in order to even mention magnet size, you have to first consider all the other t/s parameters involved with the driver.

so BL, the strength of the motor, is NOT mass related. B, the flux density (think magnet) has to exert its focus over the L (voice coil length). anything more than that is a waste.
And even this is a part of the whole picture. if it weren't you would have all sorts of "superior" subs running around.

so don't be fooled. a bigger magnet might tell you a whisper as to the potential of the force the motor MIGHT be able to provide the driver (and even that's a stretch), IF it's able to focus that along the length of the vc. and again, all the other t/s p's have to fall in line as well. in fact, i would go so far as to say the vc plays a larger role in power handling than the magnet.
it's definitley a fair misconception though. sort of like the capacitor:-)

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 331
2 w6v2's would not be deeper then a 12 w7 but the 2 w6v2's will be louder.

Bronze Member
Username: Bakerj72

Regina, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 95
Botom line, the w6's would be louder and still sound really good and clear... but the depth and the quality of the w7 is hard to match. I would go with the w7 just because of the fact that it sounds better. Its not like your goign to be playing it at full volume all the time to the point were the w6 would be better in SPL. Oh and the w7 will be loud .

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4988
W6v2 has better SQ than a W7 IMO. W7 tends to be on the boomy side and doesn't do that well when transitioning with midbass drivers.

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 264
The output of these 2 systems are going to be very similar. What the W6's will gain in cone area the W7 will make up for it with the vented enclosure. The W6V2's will likely be worse on the SQ side if driven extremely hard due to the function of a sealed enclosure and it's effect on excursion and distortion at the subs resonance. The W7 isn't going to transition into the midbass as well but it's going to have a heavier bottom end than the W6's as a function of the H.O. enclosure's low roll off. I'm not familiar with the new W6v2's power handling but if ran off of the same amplifier, I would go with the W7 in the HO enclosure. It's smaller and JL put alot of time into designing those H.O. enclosures, it looks trick and will sound good.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1681
"The W6V2's will likely be worse on the SQ side if driven extremely hard due to the function of a sealed enclosure and it's effect on excursion and distortion at the subs resonance."

the w6v2's won't distort at all with 500 watts of power per sub. sealed or not. they actually exibit superior sq to the w7 without the output imo. the 7 will, however, play lower at higher levels.

Hesperian
Unregistered guest
what do you mean that the w7 will be lower? does that mean that you will get that really low bass that carries?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us