Battery didn't help

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 793
Well, I added a Duralast Gold (because Optima's won't fit my Lancer, pi$$ed me off) with 700 or so CCA and a 100 amp reserve. Overall, same numbers as the red top's. Anyways, lights still dim a good amount. I am pulling about 50 amps off of a 85 amp alternator. The only problem I can see is the ground from the battery to the chassis is a weak 8 guage or smaller. I am going to up that. The lights don't dim about 3-4k rpm's. I know someone with a pull of over 100 amps off of a smaller alternator powering a type X with a cap and he has just a LITTLE voltage problems. Mine, seems worse than his. I can't afford to upgrade my alternator and I am not going to save up, any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 794
I might look into trying out a small 1.2 farad cap just to stabalize the voltage. I know people say it doesn't help but just masks problems but all I need is some sort of buffer in the system. Something that obviously the battery didn't do.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 632
That's because batteries and capacitors don't produce more power. They can both only store them. If your lights dim, you need a new alternator, period.

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 233
Which lights are dimming ? is it only the interior lights dimmin when you hit hard bass notes ?

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 234
Doing the Extra battery thing cost like 170 for a yellowtop an 50 for an isolator so thats 220 total an u could probably get some kind of HO alt for around 280 so i dont see why you wouldnt get an HO alt

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 638
Probably all his lights are dimming because of the power sag.

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 222
Did you put a larger battery in the car? If so it's going to take more to charge that battery up while driving. Also your alternator puts out less voltage at lower RPM's than higher RPMS probably why you're experiencing blinking until you hit 3 or 4k, upgrade the alternator to work with the larger battery before doing any other mods. You're on the right track with upping the size of your ground strap, if you're lucky that may fix it on its own, but I imagine the problem is more involved than that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us