Remote Wire problem

DewdLives
Unregistered guest
I have a small amp that only has an on/off switch on the face. I want to install it in the trunk but dont want to have to physically turn it off all the time.
The Catch:
There is no remote wire terminal on the amp. There is power (12v battery) and ground but no remote terminal.
Is there a way for me to create a homemade switch using the remote wire off radio?

Bronze Member
Username: Speakerbox

Post Number: 13
Never heard of that before.

Where did you get the amp? do you know when it was made? and how much did you pay?

DewdLives
Unregistered guest
Its cheap. (I know "dont be a cheap and u wont have the problem). But besides that its Pyle 120 Watt booster amp, and im running it to one 8" sub. Im not looking for trunk rattling sound just a little bass. So back to the problem:

Is there a way to tap into the head units' power input to the amp's power input. Im not exactly sure how the remote works but im thinking that the HU's power is not hot until the remote turns on, so i can tap into it and when it gets hot my amp gets hot??? Probably will mess stuff up, i dont know.

Any suggestions?

Pat L
Unregistered guest
If your just running a small 8" and looking for a small amount of power than just buy a small 200W amp. Since you want a little bass than you dont need a fancy AMP just something small. You could most likely find a small type AMP on ebay for under $50 including shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796&item=3092822611&rd= 1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39736&item=3092179769&rd= 1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950&item=3092846620&rd=1

Look around your bound to find something to give you bass that is capable of being wired into newer systems!

DewdLives
Unregistered guest
Thanks Pat. But I would like use the amp I have already own or at least know if it is possible to create a remote switch if the amp has no remote terminal.

To repeat: Amp has no remote terminal, but I would like to not have to remember to turn it off every time I leave the car. Can I use the remote wire from HU in any way to turn the amp on if there is no remote terminal?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
If this is your amp:
http://www.adleraudio.com/web/mdl/PLA10/detail.asp

It's designed to be manually turned off and on, that's why it's so cheap. There's other models of that same amp but it's all the same, they're cheap "BOOSTER AMPS" which is like comparing a plastic spoon to a butcher knife.

It's not worth installing a remote wire, that would cost more than that amp by parts alone and if you had it done professionally you may as well buy a new amp that is not only better, but will have a remote wire input how you wanted it in the first place.

Seriously, you're only running a single 8" sub. They build amps cheap for those type of subs, you're on some "Playskool, my first amp" type of system. When you buy a decent set of speakers and/or subs, that's when you should worry about all the technicalities.

The amp you have is fine with your system, the system itself is too low budget to modify and would cost the same as buying a much better amp.

Sorry if I'm sounding too rude, I just don't like it when people waste their money on systems that can't perform better than a walkman.

DewdLives
Unregistered guest
Alright, aside from that, Could someone tell me electronically how to make the remote wire turn your amp on and off while leaving the pushbutton in the on position?

Thanks speakerboxx, I know its cheap but its what I had laying around. I just want to see how its done.

slicapie
Unregistered guest
do this... go to autozone and buy just a regular switch. put the switch somewhere on your dash or easy to get to. then take the power wire and cut it in half. hook the half from the batt to one side, and the half to the amp to the other. then all you have to do is flip that switch to turn it on or off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
It's dangerous to control the actual power cord off and on.

Everytime the power cord is connected or removed from the battery you have to unplug the negative.

If by chance you found a way to make it safe you would still have to switch it on and off.

Why don't you just mount the amp near you? All you need to do is get longer speaker wires that cost about $2 - $5 per 5ft and it would less work to do, would cost a lot less, and would be a lot more safe.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us