Is this what I need for 2 amps?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 629
Ok. The original wiring kit I have for my first amp could be used for a two amp setup. However, would there be anything wrong with getting a whole new amp wiring kit for the new amp? (One is mono, the new is 2 channel).

Also, I need a dist. block right? Will this be all I need:

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=2773

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 414
That will work, however, depending the size of your amps, you might want to consider buying your own seperate in-line fuses, and do it shortly after the dist block. About getting an entirely new amp kit, You would probably be better off running a larger wire than required, and splitting it into two smaller ones at the dist block, then you would be if you just ran two seperate power wires.
Remember that when you're using the dist block, that you're still limited by the size of wire leading to it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 632
I think I'll take it to the audio install shop hehehe...

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
Tyler it's pretty simple.. here is a little diagram.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 634
Where do you put the Dist. block? Also, would a split 4 awg wire work? That's about all I can get around here...And is that the power wire from the wiring kit connected to the battery? And what about the remote wire, is it ok to run two of them from the back of the HU?

Silver Member

Post Number: 635
I thought I'd mention that my amps will be an Audiobahn A8000T (800W RMS), and a an Audiobahn A4002T (It will be running at 200W RMS between the two channels.) So it's safe to I'll be pushing an easy 1Kw. And before you ask, I'm upgrading my alt lol. Will 180A be enough? That's the one I'm getting from Excessive Amperage I believe it's called.

Silver Member

Post Number: 418
Tyler, to be on the safe side, you should upgrade your wiring to 0 gauge, especially if it's going to be longer than 10 feet or so.

Also, the distribution block can pretty much go anywhere..just place it in-line. Then you can use an inline fuse holder, or even just get a fused distribution block if you'd prefer, to make things nice and safe.. (I personally dont fuse after every distribution block, I know I should, though...better safe than sorry I guess.)

180 amps should be plenty to push that load.. To figure out how many watts you can pull, figure amps x volts = watts. And remember - your cars electrical system already uses up a good chunk of what the stock alternator can produce.. So you have to account for that. :-)

In the little diagram, yes, that's the power wire from the battery.

About your remote wire question. You can run two wires from the back, yes. However, you could also simply run the wire to one of your amps, then run a wire from that terminal, to the remote terminal of your other amp, as well.

With only two amps, this shouldnt present any real problem, however, if you ever add more in the future, you're going to need to get a relay, so you dont pull too much from the remote output on your deck.. (it's not meant to put out very much at ALL.)

What a relay does, is basically, when it's turned on, it completes a circuit for an alternate power source to travel through.. So you can hook your remote wire up to the relay, then hook up a 12v power source (i.e. line from battery) to it, and a ground wire to it, then you'll have a connection on it where, when your remote wire is activated and turns it on, you'll have a 12 volt power supply that wont blow the remote output on your deck.

But like I said...with just two amps, you're going to be ok just using the remote wire.

The reason I'd recomend either using a little dist block, the wire from your first amp terminal, or even just an in-line wire splicer, however, is so you dont have the full two lengths of wire running from your remote out, so instead of having 28 feet of wire (14 average x 2), you'd just have like 16-18 feet. (14 going back, then however far your amps are apart.)

Seth

Silver Member

Post Number: 419
Ok, and about the 4 gauge wire... If you absoultely cant get any larger wire.. just make sure everything is properly fused, and you should be ok. You might clip the amps at peak usage, but honestly at around 1000w RMS, it shouldnt be a real issue.. Just dont clip your subs if you do notice it start.. It can lead to damage over time (in minor), or pop a sub pretty quickly if done to the extreme.

Should check out KnuKonceptz.com, they have 0awg starting at under $2 a foot.. (I'm pretty fond of the kompression kable myself, lays flatter and all)

Seth
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us