Question about Ohms

HoFF
Unregistered guest
I am going to buy my girlfriend new 6x9 speakers and I want to make sure I'm buying the right ones. I'm not looking for any high quality speaker, just ones that will sound a lot better than the ones she has. Now on to my point. I looked at her speakers and they said they were 8 ohm and that's what I'm having trouble with right now. If I bought a 4 ohm speaker would it still work fine?

I am going to buy my girlfriend new 6x9 speakers and I want to make sure I'm buying the right ones. I'm not looking for any high quality speaker, just ones that will sound a lot better than the ones she has. Now on to my point. I looked at her speakers and they said they were 8 ohm and that's what I'm having trouble with right now. If I bought a 4 ohm speaker would it still work fine?

Everything in the car is stock. I'm just looking to buy new rear speakers for her car to replace the ones that sound like crap. I'm not planning on making a nice system. I just want to know if you can use a 4 ohm speaker to replace an 8 ohm speaker and if there would be any loss in sound if I did. I don't want to buy her speakers and them not ending up working correctly.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 115
They will work ok, but I would suggest changing the radio to a nice mid line radio. Not enough power from factory to normally run aftermarket speakers efficiently.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 588
It sounds like you have a stock amp already in the car. If you replace those 8 ohms with 4 ohms, you might blow your stock car amp. So basically your options at the moment are just get some new 6x9s, or preferably 6.5 rounds for the front and a head unit. Otherwise, you'll have to find 8 ohms speakers to replace those with. Honestly not sure where to find 8 ohm car speakers. You could go look at some of the Infinity speakers for 4 ohms, they're good speakers for the price.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 485
Im not sure how Jake assumes you have a stock amp in the car already (other than the one in the HU of course.]

You can buy the 4 ohm speakers and everything will be perfectly ok. Im sure the factory HU is stable at 4ohms and it wont be a problem.

HoFF
Unregistered guest
I don't think it has a stock amp really other than the Head Unit, because it doesn't have any subs or anything of that sort. EVERYTHING is stock. So there wouldn't be anything weird (like crackling, car dying, etc) happenning when I install the 4 ohm speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 149
what kind of car is this anyway

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 603
Sorry, I missed the part about everything being stock in the car so I assumed there was a stock HU, not amp, sorry about the confusion.
There's a reason there are 8 ohm speakers in the car and I wouldn't go changing those without first KNOWING that my stock HU can handle 4 ohm loads. Assuming just gets us into problems, as I've already proven :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us