Capacitor for a special project

Username: Ledzep

Ohio

Post Number: 1
ok little kiddies , please be kind to me,i always say there is no such thing as a dumb question, so im here to learn. i have some audio experience so im not totally lost,used to run sound for bands back in the day. here is my issue. i drive a semi truck for a living and i am having i guess what you would call a mid life crisis, im tired of being mature, i like to jam as much as any 20 yr old,im 39 btw. in the truck i share half the day with another old metal head, we are not allowed to permanantly mount anything, and our cb/stereo has to run off of a quick connect +/- post on the dash. my co-driver had built a box with super tuner pioneer,a 10 in walmart woofer,and 2 pioneer full range 6 in coaxial speakers and a sony explode 600 watt amp bridged to the sub woofer only, the 6in speakers run straight off the head unit. it didnt sound all that good and i know its not top of the line audio equiptment, but still i thought it should sound better. i worked on it, sealed the box around the woofer , made a port tube out of pvc pipe to the most proper dimensions i could find,i also put high pass crossovers on the 6 in speakers to relieve stress on them. it sounded great after the few tweeks, and even though it was cheap equiptment, it still rocked pretty good. the only problem we had was the amp was clipping from power strain, neither of us knowing anything at the time about capacitors, we decided to add a 12 volt lawn mower battery to the box (300 cca), and believe it or not, it actually worked damn good, no more clipping,it is hooked in with the power cord to buffer whatever loss there is from the small quick connect +/- terminals on dash. all in all now it looks like hell but sounds fairly good.
now here is the issue .... its just not good enough. my craving for good audio i had as a kid has made me want to ditch the whole setup and build one from the ground up, with a bit better equiptment and alot lighter weight because its just too heavy to move when we have to switch trucks.
here is my first question:
1) if the battery we added to the box was able to stop the clipping of the amp, do you think a capacitor would be a better and lighter solution ?
keep in mind the power drag is not due to a weak altenator, its a semi truck with a huge alt, the clipping is a result of the small quick connect +/_ terminals on dash. i tried to get the specs on the +/_ quick connects from our shop, but they looked at me like i asked them how many gigawatts are going to the flux capacitor ..lol . so if the batter added in box helped, would a capacitor work as well and be lighter ? if so , tell me what to look for in a capacitor, brand name and specs.
2)as i build this new box, there are some issues to deal with. my company wont allow any audio equiptment to be located anywhere except the passenger seat.so all the sound is blasting into my right ear and killin it :-( . i want it to sound good as it can, be priced fairly good, and be lightweight, keep in mind there will also be weight added by mounting a cb radio as well for traffic information and bear reports cause i live in ohio ..lol ... here is my plan, i wanted to start with maybe an 8 or 10 inch amplified sub box.im thinking of using a bazoka tube because its a decent price, sounds real tight, no worries about matching cubic feet of space and i believe the constant air flow in and out of the bazoka tube also helps to cool the amp and extend its life. (i have a 10in amplified bazoka tube in my S10 and it sounds great, never gets hot). i then wanted to place two decent sounding 6in full range speakers with a high pass filter that compliments the range of the bazoka tube in the side of the project facing towards the windsield at an angle from the right side of the passenger seat reflecting off windsield toward my face, so as to try to eliminate some of the effect of all the sound killing my right ear. any advice on this would be great.
also any advice on a decent priced head unit that will play mp3 disc,be xm ready,have rca outputs for the bazoka tube, and good quality built in amp to run the 2 6 inch full range speakers, and also might be a bit user friendly because its hard to operate alot of controls on a stereo when you driving a semi truck.

moslty want to know about capacitors though.

any help or adive would be greatly appreciated at allenx1966@aol.com
thanks , allen .... old metal head

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 112
You start the Thread with callin us little kiddies then you go into another thread an make comments about how car audio isnt a good hobby but yet you say you dont want to offend anyone an you also expect us to help you after you Degrade us by callin us kiddies an then make rude comments about the Hobby that we love

so there
Unregistered guest
sounds like an old timer tryin to have some fun. dont u worry cuz we have some smart dudes up in here. we can figure it out, just we aint gonna do it for you.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1515
why is it that you "truckers" always attempt to prevent cars from driving on the shoulder of the road during traffic? never understood that one.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 521
Cuz we is dangerous (us four-wheelers).

I gots a few truck drivin friends, and they go through alot all day. For truckers its a career, for us its just a way to get to work, school, church, home, and everything else in between.

I think it has to do with their cargo's weight, limited visibiliy, and the size of their truck.

Bronze Member

Ohio

Post Number: 11
mikechec9 .... i assume you are talking about dead stop traffic, and you decide you want to go down the shoulder because you are more special than anyone else on the highway. there are several reason not to do that, one its just rude ,two there may be an accident and the shoulders need to stay clear for emergency vehicles, three you never know when someone will pullout of line and hit you, or open their door, i can go on and on about the reasons not too , can you go on and on about the reasons you should?
as for CadillacDb , if i yelled "hey dickhead" would you turn your head around ans say "what"? by answering as "us" you included yourself in the group of kiddies. it was a weak effort on my part as a way to break the ice with a joke, because i figured nobody else my age would be on this type of a forum , i never degraded you or anyone , a hobbie is a hobbie, i have lots of my own, i was just simply meaning that car audio is not my hobby, i dont enjoy ripping out my car interior,if you like doing that, then thats cool, its just not for me, in no way should you take that offensively unless you have severe esteem problems.
and as for "so there" i really didnt expect and real help on here anyway, and what i am wanting to build is probably not something most folks here have experience with. but dont you worry any sonny boy, this old timer knows a few things and the things i dont know, i will find the answers to, with or without your help.

now that i addressed all of these "little kiddies" concerns ... is their anyone that has something construtive to add ??

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 117
..when you learn how to treat others with the respect you would like to be treated with come on back, but we all know how the saying goes 'you cant teach an old Dawg new tricks'

Bronze Member

Ohio

Post Number: 12
where did i disrespect you ? ? cut and paste it ....

ok little kiddies , please be kind to me,i always say there is no such thing as a dumb question, so im here to learn

i said "kiddies" as a very very simple joke, and then said i was here to learn ... how did you turn that into me disrespecting you ? ? ?

You start the Thread with callin us little kiddies then you go into another thread an make comments about how car audio isnt a good hobby

show me where i once typed that car audio isnt a good hobby? show me where .... i said it wasnt for me as a hobby, i liked it because i like to listen to music on the way home to let go of the stress i get.

i have read some of your post to others on here and i can see you really got some esteem issues, you should really seek some help for that, im sure your not as bad a guy as you think you are, its ok son ...its not your fault ...its your parents

you win ...im deleting my account here and never comming back ...
and now i will be rude .... god damn your a dickhead!
later

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 120
LMAO

Gold Member

Post Number: 1516
mikechec9 .... i assume you are talking about dead stop traffic, and you decide you want to go down the shoulder because you are more special than "anyone else on the highway. there are several reason not to do that, one its just rude ,two there may be an accident and the shoulders need to stay clear for emergency vehicles, three you never know when someone will pullout of line and hit you, or open their door, i can go on and on about the reasons not too , can you go on and on about the reasons you should? "

so is it actually the c/b radio that makes truckers feel bonded to the cops? i mean a truck is just a big car. it doesn't have any more blue lights than does my vehicle.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1224
mikechec9: no offense, but stfu. You need to drive a semi once in a big city, and you'll realize what they go through. It's NOT just a big car. People don't realize they need to give truckers room, they can't see and move as easily as you can. Why don't you go get your commercial license and spend a couple weeks driving big truck before you open your mouth?

And allen... what's your budget? And what exactly is "heavy"? I have subs that weigh 41lbs. a peice. That's heavy to me, but to some it's not, and to you, that may be WAAAAAY to much. It's all opinions...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1226
Oh, and the capacitor question. Don't go with anything over about 3 farads. And yea, a good capacitor would probably be even better than a battery, and probably quite a bit lighter....

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2650
Cadillac...chill out.

don't be getting rid of all our new guests!!!

......LMAO, Cadillac, you are the official Ecoustics Bouncer. hahahahahaha!:-O

Gold Member

Post Number: 1519
"mikechec9: no offense, but stfu. You need to drive a semi once in a big city, and you'll realize what they go through. It's NOT just a big car. People don't realize they need to give truckers room, they can't see and move as easily as you can. Why don't you go get your commercial license and spend a couple weeks driving big truck before you open your mouth?"

jake, all offense intended, fuq you.
i wasn't talking to you, so your response is not needed. i assure you, you don't know me. so i'll allow you to pass, but really, don't reply again.
no i have not driven a truck, but i'm certified to conceal weapons including assault rifles, and have fired multiple rounds at some trucks for being priqs and attempting to run me off the road.

back to the trucker, you didn't reply so i'm pretty sure you didn't take my question personally. i was just curious as to why some people would put their lives on the line when they don't have a badge. it's already hard enough for cops to enforce the law without catching one.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 125
Dang, He really did Delete his account, i didnt mean to Run the Guy off 'My Bad'..Maybe i should Scold myself for not showin Respect to my elders LOL NAHHHHHH........

Anonymous

mikechec9 , i dont know what you are talking about with trucks and blue lights. i will be the first to admit some truck drivers are total idiots , but that does not me all people driving cars are smart. people are stupid no matter what they do or what they drive. myself, i am a local driver , i have 15 to 25 stops per day, and i am proud to say i do a great job and there are not many people around that could do what i do without having an accident everyday, and make all their pickups and deliveries. as to what the one driver said , go get your cdl license and try it some time, try to drive around on streets barely big enough for a Yugo to fit in while you are pulling a 48 foot trailer. try to blind side back across 4 lanes of traffic with nobody out there to help you and 50 cars all driving like they have a family member in the hospital about to die and they need to get there asap. you know what a stop sign is ? what about a stop line? stop lines are big fat white lines at intersections that you are not supposed to stop on top of or past them, i bet you if you did a survey of americans and asked them what a stop line is, 80% would have no clue, and the other 20 would not really give a chit. try to make a turn without hitting a curb or a sign or a utility pole while some idiot is sitting 10 feet over the stop line and looking at you as if your the one doing something wrong. and as for you having concealed weapons and admitting online that your fire at vehicles is really not the smartest thing i have ever heard anyone say online. you carry a gun and fire it, then you think truck drivers think they are cops because they have a cb radio ? ? if i have to explain to you whats wrong with that picture, you wouldnt understand anyway.

and as for cadillac boy, your just not worth responding to anymore

Post Number: 1
jake ... i dont really have a set budget, just not want to go state of the art, but also dont want to go walmart/best buy crap either. i never wieghed the current box we have, but im 6ft 3 , 230 lbs and i have a hard time lifting it into the truck, so i would say its about at least 100 lbs. the current box includes, pioneer am/fm cd , xm radio module , 10 in 4 home svc walmart woofer, 2 6 in pioneer speakes, high and low pass crossovers, sony explod 600 watt amp, a 12 volt lawn mower battery about half the size of a car battery, a solor 1.5 volt trickle charger to help maintain the battery over the weekend while the truck doesnt run , a connex patriot export cb radio, 2 toggle switches to shut off battery,box is probably about 2/3 of a sheet of 1/4 in plywood. its funny, it looks like hell, but actually sounds fairly good. i was at an air force base security gate and they freaked out when they saw it, they were worried it was a bomb .lol ...
so whats the diff between a 1 farad and a 3 farad cap ? the more farads the better ?

Post Number: 2
i need a spell check program BAD :-(

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4075
"1"

No, a capacitor in no way works like a battery. You cannot replace a battery with a capacitor.

Capacitors are able to hold a large charge, and release all the current very quickly at once, or in quick bursts. They however, don't do as advertised, and are really nothing more than a good filter when it comes to car audio.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1231
"jake, all offense intended, fuq you.
i wasn't talking to you, so your response is not needed. i assure you, you don't know me. so i'll allow you to pass, but really, don't reply again.
no i have not driven a truck, but i'm certified to conceal weapons including assault rifles, and have fired multiple rounds at some trucks for being priqs and attempting to run me off the road. "

Why not respond? I have my CDL and whe you talk to "truckers", you're also talking to me, because I've driven truck moving my drag cars to the track, and have spent countless hours driving.

And I was a Marine Ranger for 8 years. Do you think you're badass because you can shoot an asault rifle? Any punkass can get an AK47 and modify the action...

I was in Iraq since day one, and just barely got out of the Marines a few months back. Have you ever killed someone from three miles away in the dead of night? Thought not.

Don't try to act like a badass, because there's always someone better than you. There are plenty of people that are better than me, and plenty better than you. No one is perfect.

And I hope you know how immature that statement was. I bet you're in a gang and r@pe little girls too?

And allen: the general rule is 1 farad per 1,000 watts. And I'd try looking at www.electronicgiant.com and www.crutchfield.com for some subs. I've never looked for exactly what you're looking for...

And Joe Smoe has a point. That battery may be required, it all depends on how much the amp is actually lacking. If it's a considerally small amount, then a capacitor will work. But if it's lacking significantly, then you'll still need the battery. You'll just have to experiment.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1522
hey anon. by no means am i dogging truckers. i have a friend who drives a rig (if that term is still in) and his reply when i asked him the same question was that cars don't respect truckers, so truckers don't respect drivers. seemed pretty general to me. i have a great respect for those who drive anything with more than 7 gears.
i am very much a driver myself. i don't think there are nearly enough classes of liscenses. many people, i agree, are extremely difficult to tolerate. like when you (trucks) are traveling down a hill and have a steep incline for which you need to maintain your momentum, and some car jumps in front of you going slow and costs you time and gas. that's just an example, and i have numerous things that disturb me about nondrivers. it's just that riding on the shoulder doesn't affect me. that was basically the impetus of my query. it was never to say that truckers have no skill and so i show them no respect. it's just like you said, some truckers seem to be total idiots. i was just trying to figure out if it might be justified.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1523
no, i havn't killed someone from 3 miles away with some punk inaccurate AK47 copy from china. seems like something a hick redneck coward from bear lake county would do (not too far from salt lake right?). plenty of hicks out there. the type of hicks who would actually be the ones to "r@pe little girl" relatives. or maybe it's consensual. whatever.
i'm more of an FNFAL and various .308 and .223 carbine type. avidly collect and fire them. anything less than a 1in group is less than adequate. regardless of distance.
so, what i'm hoping is that you were in a really bad mood when you posted and took the whole "i have a c/b and fish at a water hole too" tone. so, you don't have to be perfect. just approach people with a bit more respect before you jump to conclusions from now on. it's often times costly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1235
Yea, I live in Bear Lake County. I grew up here. But redneck? No. I lived in Miami, Florida for much of my time in the Marines. I've never owned a truck (except a 1985 Ford Ranger - my first car, given to me). I do hunt, I do like to camp, but I don't consider myself a redneck. But I do know some...

And the weapons we used in Iraq are nothing like an AK47. And inaccurate? I can group as many shots as you like within 1" further than you can see with a 12 power scope...

When the distance is far enough that you have to calculate wind speed and direction, then we're talking :P.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1527
cheers, jake. maybe now we can start back again on the right foot.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 126
LOL ..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us