Alpine CDA 9815 and Infinity kappa 62,5i

Username: On1yalad

Post Number: 1
year ago i bought Alpine CDA 9815 headunit, Eclipse PA5422 4 Channel Amplifier, alpine type-r 10in sub, and pioneer 6x9 100rms 250max.

todya i got some new infinity kappas pair of 62,5i(6 1/2's) and 629,5i (6x9's) i was planning to run the 62,5i's off the deck power and the rears off the amp.

well after taking off all the pannels in my car in installed the 62.5i's and they sounded like crap, there was no bass and if i turend up the volume past 20 it was all garbled. I am lost now, i thought my deck could power these speakers easily.

i really need some help, i dont think it is my deck i mean i used a wire harnes to connect my03 honda civics wired to the deck and use butt connectors.

i can answer any quest about my setup so please ask.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2168
I'm sorry if other members are sick of seeing this but it's nearly a fact now: the kappas almost exclusively must have an external amp to power them. They do indeed sound terrible from a headunit. I'm running a pair for my front soundstage and the difference is huge...

Post Number: 2
well that solves the front problem, do u recommend a brand that will sound good off the deck?

also when i installed the 629,5i 6x9's in the rear they are commected to the amp and gain is at 1v and the rest fo the setting are factory and it has horrid sound as well. no bass the decks x-over and eq are default and there is no bass... is it me or are kappas crap?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2169
How do you have the amplifier set up? Do you have two channels bridged for the sub and the rears hooked up to the left and right remaining channels? Also, what type of filtering (HPF, LPF, Full range) do you have set up?

It might also be best to set the gain exactly to what the head unit puts out...

Additionally, why do you have all of the head unit settings to default?

Post Number: 3
Polk db650
6-1/2" 2-way Speakers

are what im thinkign about

anyone knwo if my deck can power these?

Post Number: 4
well my sub cant be bridged mainly cause i bought the wrong sub for the amp, the sub is dual coil 2ohm each so if i bridge them i get a 1ohm load and it get the amp to hot and shuts off, so i have to run it non bridged.

as for the rears i have then set to 1v non bridged and i have the speakers set to fullrange.

also i get all mixed up when messing with the EQ and the x-over in the deck...i get lost and dont understand how they set it up. i mean i know how to get the rears( through the x-over) to have less bass and put out more mids/highs but other than that i dotn knwo how the EQ..

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2173
Ah, that's interesting...

If you must, I suppose the Polks would be the way to go...

cobra12
Unregistered guest
Amp them for the best sound. If I were you, I would get rid of the 6x9's at the back, and just have components instead, it will sound a lot better

Username: Djm

Post Number: 1
"well my sub cant be bridged mainly cause i bought the wrong sub for the amp, the sub is dual coil 2ohm each so if i bridge them i get a 1ohm load and it get the amp to hot and shuts off, so i have to run it non bridged."

You can run this sub bridged at 4 ohms.
If you wire the 2 ohm dual dub in parallel you get 1 ohm, but you can wire the 2 ohm dual sub in series and get 4 ohms, which should work with your amp bridged. Acoustically there is no difference.

"A dual voice coil speaker will behave exactly the same way whether it is wired with its coils in series or parallel." JL Audio web site.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us