XBL2 vs LMT vs Split Cell

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1407
For all of those a bit tired of the everyday yadayah best sub basics (like me), here is a good thread of dan wiggins (adire) comparing the different above stated motor structure technologies. Adire vs Sound Splinter vs RE, respectively
faily elaborate

http://forum.carstereos.org/showthread.php?t=56398

Gold Member

Post Number: 1408
these are essentially the results:

1. Power handling: LMT, Split Coil, XBL²
2. Stroke: 3 way tie
3. Scalable from tweeters to big woofers: XBL², Split Coil, LMT
4. Low moving mass: XBL², Split Coil, LMT
5. Low inductance: XBL², Split Coil, LMT
6. Accepts shorting rings easily: XBL² Split Coil/LMT (tie)
7. Tolerance to winding errors: XBL², LMT, Split Coil
8. Motor Size: XBL², Split Coil, LMT
9. Flux Usage Efficiency: XBL², LMT, Split Coil
10. Production Cost: XBL², Split Coil, LMT
11. Production Ease (need to change production methods): XBL², Split Coil, LMT

Silver Member
Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 234
Could split coil possibly be the technology Ascendant is going with? Chad said a royalty free tech. with comparable flat BL. What do you think mikechec?

Bronze Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 78
I was thinking that... that is what RE is using on their new subs. When I have seen the way Chad describes it though, he says it sounds new, and theres nothing new about split coil designs. I dont know though.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1519
split LMT² ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1434
"Could split coil possibly be the technology Ascendant is going with? Chad said a royalty free tech. with comparable flat BL. What do you think mikechec?"

it would all be speculation on my part. like baseball said, it has been around since the '70's.
i'm guessing that "royalty free" refers to "no more xbl2." it could be overhung, underhung, evenhung. but making it sound new wouldn't be a bad marketing tool. i am curious though.

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 80
I dont think it would be overhung. Chad described it as doing the same thing as XBL but a different approach. That sounds like split coil. I am curious as to the design. I doubt it's something NEW, or Chad would be filing for patents.

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 81
marshall - Split LMT, lol that would be interesting, I'm not sure how it would work though.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4027
"I dont think it would be overhung. Chad described it as doing the same thing as XBL but a different approach. That sounds like split coil. I am curious as to the design. I doubt it's something NEW, or Chad would be filing for patents."

How do you know he hasn't filed for patents? Anyhoo, I do doubt it's anything new. Impossible to say, Chad hasn't said much about it yet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1436
yeah, it was a bit sporatic, the way it went down. there's no telling how long xbl2 took to produce in theory and in full fruition. split cell would make the most sense because they could be easily related to RE, the same way both AA and RE took off b/c of their association with Adire and xbl2.
the advantage with xbl2 though was it's ability to produce flat bl with little production cost. the only HO driver i know of that has good sq for cheap is the dayton titanic. and it's no brahama.

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 82
I dont know Joe, just doesnt seem like something that has happened. I would think if Chad came up with something new and was filing for patents, he would say so.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4034
I never said he did, and I highly doubt it. My only point was he hasn't said a word about the new motor's yet.

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 84
oh yea I know... I'm just curious as to what it is, or what it's based off of. Everything at this point seems to point towards split coil, wouldnt you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1439
care to gamble on it through paypal?:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us