Head unit internal amplifier problem

Bronze Member
Username: Ward

Chevy Chase, Maryland

Post Number: 12
I have a clarion DXZ945MP that i let circuit city intall for me. i am in the process of purchasing a new car so i only have rear speakers and a sub in my existing car. the speakers are powered off my head unit and the sub off a kicker amp. it worked really well for two months and then one speaker would cut off randomly. the final draw being both speakers stopped working. i went back to circuit city thinking it was a speaker problem but they informed me i had blown the internal amplifier in my head unit. Please tell me if this a semi-normal problem and what most likely caused it. Thank you very much in advance

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 327
probily clipping but i think that would blow your speakers before your amplifier
really you should buy an external amp for your speakers it gives it alot better sq than your HU amp
also brings out alot more power

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2150
That sounds really sketchy to me. They possibly didn't protect the remaining speaker wires from touching anything else...it might have also been a good idea to hook up the rear speakers to the front speaker output wires on the headunit as that is what is suggested with two speaker applications. Then again, it might have just been a faulty component in the head unit.

Hopefully, it's still under warranty, if not, it would still definitely be worth the repair.

I would be interested in knowing the resolution to your problem as I have the same head unit (I've had it for more than half a year now with no problems). I actually have only the rear speakers hooked up from the internal amp as well, but I usually have the internal amp defeat turned on so as to not ruin the front soundstage.

EDIT: I just remembered when I had a problem where none of the speakers would output sound and it seemed like the output IC was blown. It turned out to be a bad wiring connection in the harness. I corrected it by testing each speaker individually with a DMM (using the resistance of each speaker), and rewiring the bad connection.

Bronze Member
Username: Ward

Chevy Chase, Maryland

Post Number: 13
i will definately tell you how things turn out jexx but my hu was bought on ebay so i have no warranty. I was planning to buy an external amp in the first place but i also thought it was a little sketchy too. thanks for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us