Ebay Suggestions

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 562
Hey guys, I'm not brand new to Ebay, but when it comes to looking for amps and subs on Ebay, I could use some suggestions. Things to look out for and whatnot. I know Issac does a lot of ebaying and seems like MO does his share as well. Anyone tips on ebaying will be helpful. I was looking at this PPI Art series amp, as I am going to be buying components sooner or later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-PPI-Art-Series-A600-2CH-or-Mono-Car-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ 5823211763QQcategoryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looked like a good price so far and it's 5 hours away. I noticed that he sent the amp in for a repair at one point and tried to retouch up the art. Honestly, as long as the amp works well, I don't care that much if the paint is messed up a little. I also noticed that the terms of sale are "All sales final." and "Sold as is." I wasn't sure if this was a general rule of thumb that you take a chance on buying amps/subs from Ebay or if there are ways to make sure you don't get ripped off.
Thanks guys!

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 196
i got a ppi off ebay it works
but i just passed up a 9.0 c2k for $830 because the guy had zero feedback

your buyer has good feedback you dont get that from ripping people off
I got terrified after sending people money threw ebay but i always get mine

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4960
Jake, stay away from sellers under 10 or under 98% feedback.
The ones that I have had issues with were either, 5 or fewer in feedback or under 90%.
That PPI is a great amp. Ask the seller if DOA is covered. Also email eBay about that auction reguarding what's covered and what's not.
You're taking a risk by purchasing an item that is sold "as is." However, I think he is not allowed to send DOA product and claim it was your fault under eBay rules.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 564
I think I'm going to go for the amp. The guy has a 100% positive rating and 29 points. I want to see how high it goes when it gets close to end. What's generally a good price for one of those amps? I was thinking of maxing around 250-300.
Also, thanks a ton for your help and tips, Lil Jon and Issac.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4966
Those amps go for $250 - $300 on the average. Some have sold for $165. Must've been a lucky day for the buyer.
If you like the amp (you should), wait till the last 5 min and bid your maximum. That way, if someone beats your bid, then you have nothing to get frustrated over.
In case you don't win, there are other amps that will sound just as good.
PPI PC series for example, can be had for as little as $100.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 565
Oh I wouldn't be frustrated over it, if I win and I pay the price I want to pay, great. If not I can wait and see if I can find another one. I will try to get it if it doesn't go over like 250$ tho. Also, Issac, on those amps, do you need some kind of interface for the power/ground? Or do those plastic looking cover things just look peculiar? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3988
You strip the wire and then stick it into that plastic cover. There will be a screw on the bottom of the cover. That "plastic cover" is actually the power and ground terminal. Older Orion and PPI amps have terminals that can be pulled out.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 111
MAKE SURE that you check the shipping and all other applicable charges to send you the amp. I found myself paying an extra $110 or so for shipping and had a nice bill by the time it reached my house. That's probably where I live in Canada tho, but still make sure you check it out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4968
Young James, you got ripped off. Best way to keep the shipping cost down is via USPS. UPS and Fedex are major money grabbers. Just to clear your item, they will tack on $30 minimum. USPS doesn't. They only charge duty and tax. This is why it's $40-$60 cheaper.
FYI, I paid $300 for my PPI amp last year.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 566
I looked at that. Shipping is free on that item. Counting it down now from 8 minutes.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 567
Darn, close but no cigar, I'll keep looking.
Ended up going for 227.50. I had just clicked in 230$ and I ran out of time hahaha.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 568
I think I'm just going to wait around until I see another a600.2 around on ebay or something and hope I have the money. I'm in no real rush.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 569
Also, Joe, you mentioned that "older" ppi and orion amps have terminals that can be pulled out. What is new stuff and what is old. I constantly see stuff about these amps, but I don't know much about that aside from the fact that they are great amps.
Can someone give me a timeline of different amp models and whatnot or have a website on it?
Thanks again guys for all your help. I'll keep looking!

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2459
I am on ebay all the time jake and i have 100% feedback and over 35 deals. I whould buy from those with 98% or higher like isaac said and with over 10 deals at least. I have seen the ppi a600.2 for like $157 a few weeks ago but that was my fault for not getting it cause i fell asleep on it. So i found another one and bought it for $280 shipped last week and now im waiting to install it. I also have a ppi a300.2 which is the little brother of this amp and these amps are my favorite by far. If you have trouble finding one or winning the auction you could look into the newer models that came after like ppi pc series and pcx / They are just as good in sound quality and even have crossovers on the amp and so on... You wont be able to tell the differance from art to pc like isaac was saying. IM here if you need any help.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 570
Ok, I'll start looking into those amps as well. Thanks for everyones help again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us