CDT HD62 componant set / Jonathan / best way to install ?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2198
Hey Jonathan, since you have great knowledge on speakers could you tell me the best way to go about installing this as far as the tweeter and midrange. I will be replacing my ID chameleons with this set and i already have custom door pods built to the door aiming slightly up and the tweeter location i have now is at the top part of the door by the dash and window. What works best with CDT's

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4931
Keep them close to one another ideally. If you want to make use of the upper tweeter location, consider one of their image enhancement or upstage kits.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4752
MO, you could try Jonathan's old advice, that is to use double sided tape and place the tweeter till you get the sound you desire.
I have mine at the dashboard level. Thanks to my PPI phase imaging enhancement, I get great stereo. Almost every music is coming from the eye level and in front of my windshield, wide. Sometimes, it feels like a surround sound. The drum is far right, trumpet far left, and vocal near the middle.
Once you go SQ, you can't go back to SPL.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2199
Guys, all this time i thought i was an spl guy until i put my 2 JL 12w6v2's in the cargo area and my ID componant set in the front. I will never go back to just SPL again. Im a SQ guy for life.

Jonathan and Isaac here is the current setup of my componant set. Tell me what you think and how to utilize the CDT because i have the install tommorow.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2205
jonathan or isaac let me know asap if i should change the tweeter location for the CDT's for the new install today. Should i bring it as close as possible to the midrange ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4763
MO, you do have some space on the door panel, just above the midrange. Just past where the plastic molding ends for the mid (corner of "L" shape), you could place the tweeter there and point the tweeters slightly upward. As it stands, your tweeter is too far away from the mids. In my car, I have tweeters in the exact location, but I also have the ones that came with the component set, half way between. With my phase timing device, it now gives excellent SQ and imaging. The way you have right now, is good for the 2nd pair of tweeters.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2207
I went ahead and had them installed today and they sound much smoother and cleaner then the last set i had. HD62 set is 4 ohm and can handle 180 rms total and im only running 75 rms from that ppi a300.2 so i was thinking of upgrading to the a600.2 so isaac look out for some on ebay for me as i will to. I missed one last night and it went for $157 and i bid $155 and i wasnt home to see it or else i whould have one that amp. OH well my CDT's sound really nice and i know my midrange will sound even better once i throw that 150 rms to it from the a600

Gold Member

Post Number: 4778
Whoa. What were you thinking? 600.2 amp used to sell for over $280 few months ago. At $157 is was a steal.
Next time, put in around $250. Even if you have to pay that much, you won't find another amp nowdays that can sound as good as PPI.
I'll keep an eye on one, but if I see $150 or lower, I just might have to make a bid for myself. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4779
Correction: "is" should be "it."

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2214
Yeah im gonna look out for one again. How does the black art compare to the white art ? Any differance?

Bronze Member
Username: Ologyaudio

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 24
.... I don't know about this 100% for sure... but I think the CDT HD will be a step down from the ID... the midbass drivers are atleast superior in the ID than the HD sets IMHO... If the HD sound better than the ID sets... the ID must have rly rly failed at the xover design stage...

I have a direct review comparing the EDi6500s (rebadged CDT HD) against the daytons and the ED just get raped... Even keeping the same xover and just replacing the drivers with the RS drivers it sounded better... which shouldn't happen... Replacing the old ED xovers with mine though made an insane difference naturally...

Just my .02

I never compared the ID vs HD A/B though or anything and memory kinda fades when it comes to sound... not to mention different installs...

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2228
Dylan, so far my HD62 set witht he upgraded tweeter and crossovers sounds way better then my ID set did and im only running 75 watts rms off my ppi art 300.2 where befor i was giving the ID Chameleon set its 150 watts rms to both. The HD6 midbass isnt as strong right because im not giving it its full 180 watts rms which it can take. The silk dome tweeter of my HD set is the best ive ever heard and much more smooother and the midbass is so natural overall. I am very impresssed with the HD62 set with the upgraded tweeter and crossover from cdt.

ID still sounds impressive but it depends on your tastes.. its all SUBJECTIVE

Bronze Member

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 26
it is settled thn :-) The ID chameleon is a failure of a passive xover? -- because the midbass driver is rather nice... I could do some fun things with it -- granted it is a bit over priced... it should cost about $25-30/ea by Dayton's standards ;)

I'm not sure which tweeter the ED uses... The mid from the HD is a Vifa ??? Classic ??? or is it PL?

I'm kinda thinking classic -- kinda looks like the P series... possibly a little beefier? The PL are of the 100W nominal 300W long term variety -- 400W short term (CDT would have speced them as 300)

The ES are MG based... and well the PL cost more than the MG... and the ES cost more than the HD... it is hard to tell though sometimes...

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2231
Dylan here is the exact set i bought from the same guy with the upgraded tweeters and crossover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5819093248&ssPageName=MER C_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BID_IT

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4940
"it is settled thn :-) The ID chameleon is a failure of a passive xover? -- because the midbass driver is rather nice... I could do some fun things with it -- granted it is a bit over priced... it should cost about $25-30/ea by Dayton's standards ;) "

The bigger question is if the CDT set accomodated his install better than the IDs.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2238
I think jonathan has a point here. The image dynamics set does better when the tweeter is closer so you can get away with a 6db clope or 12db slope. The tweeter being far off was the main problem in my case.

The CDT Components work well with just about most installs. They work well with stock door locations and still sound nice with the tweeter being higher like my car. THey sound even nicer with kickpods or custom work and even better with dynamat and covering any leaks. The main differance i hear from the ID to the CDT set is how smooth the tweeter sounds and how natural sounding it is. I cant wait to run a full 150-200 watts rms to these. I only have 75 watts to them and they are rated at 180 watts rms.

Its all in the install and the CDT's work better for me and i think the tweeter is much nicer and smoother/ both are silk dome

Bronze Member

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 27
:-) -- So it comes back to... failure of passive xover design to work fine in less than ideal situations. -- and they cheaped out on the tweeteri½???

I like the seas TBFC... may very well be the best sounding tweeter I've ever worked with... atleast to my ears.

Granted I have yet to work with the new seas excel $160-260/ea tweeters... but... I doubt there would be a jump in performance to warrant the price jump... Just thought I'd add something off topic there :-) -- I just need a neo version of that tweeter and I will be happy...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4942
I wouldn't call it a failure, more like a compromise. In an optimal condition where the install is flexible, I'd rather have shallow slopes than steeper slopes. By the time you get to 4th order slopes you start to notice the difference in transient response, plus the high insertion loss is bad if you're talking about passive x-overs. My Dynaudios took a while to get installed to best results, but it's worth it. I'm sure the tweeter in the ID set is stronger due to the fact that the set was designed with doubling as a coaxial in mind. Just giving them benefit of the doubt, though, I've heard the midbass, but not the tweeter. Midbass is really nice, good complement to IDQs or an ID Max.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4809
MO, there's another PPI Art series amp on sale. It's ending in 19hours. So far it's at $100. Are you one of the bidders?
Don't let this one slip by again.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2242
Keep an eye out for it. Im watching all of them i can

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2244
Isaac you gotta take a look at this a600 that i found. Its modded

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2245
Isaac you gotta take a look at this a600 that i found. Its modded

Item number: 5820545106

Unregistered guest
hey guys i have a a600 for sale and 2 a300 for sale also with the side covers if you would like to attach them together...let me know if your interested...also have the epx-205 and the peq-114 and a ppi fm/am tuner for sale.

i have pics of the amps if you would like please email me

alfonso cifone
Unregistered guest
my email is daillplatano@nyc.rr.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us