Best SQ in a HU? Alpine/Eclipse

Username: Justinsane110

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 6
I've always used Alpine HU's and love them, I have always heard really good things about Eclipse though and have been considering making the switch. Has anyone had any experience with the CD8454, or the AV8533?

I havent been able to find any websites that sell Eclipse products or would I be better off just giving in and buying at a car audio shop?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1971
eclipse doesn't authorize on-line sales as I recall, which would be why.
you'll want to go to the local shop for that.

if the unit you're considering offers 8V/16V pre-outs, you'll probably find the move to eclipse to be an improvement for you.
great products.

Username: Justinsane110

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 7
Cool, thanks for the help bro.

One more thing, how effective are eclipse's anti-skip mechanisms compared to Alpine's?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1979
at least as good

Bronze Member
Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 15
eclipse doesn't authorize online sales, but you can find them. i cant think of some sites off the top of my head but i know for a fact u can find them. i have an eclipse HU myself and i have never had it skip. it does have great SQ. it doesnt have all those unnecessary options that an alpine HU has. some of my friends have alpine and some pioneer, but it seems the alpines have so many options that its just rediculous. my friends dont even know what some of the buttons do becuase they just so unnecessary. eclipse HU's just come with the options that u need to listen to great quality music. eclipse HU's also have outstanding range and pick up for listening to the radio.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1993
in defense of the Alpine higher end units, the parametric EQ and crossover functions as well as display options are priceless to a higher end system to match the unit, with an installer worth his salt.
tuning a high end system with an RTA requires a lot of time and work, and features like time correction, and parametric EQ and XO control are vital to that short of using audiocontrol EQX EQs for each channel, then a 6XS XO to split everything up for various amplifiers.
The eclipse's simplicity is very nice from a user standpoint, but they do have some downsides, like the cost of adding those features later, and buying things like the eclipse commander just to play an mp3 CD.
That can get expensive, too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
all the eclipse new models can play mp3's. check out www.eclipse-web.com for all the facts about eclipse products.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
actually i shouldnt say all, but most

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1998
I'm already familiar with eclipse, thanks, and that still doesn't negate the prior models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us