What first, speakers or subs

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 167
hey, im going to be getting speakers and subs for my car, i already have the subs and amp planned out i want and almost sure about the speakers/amp. what should i get first, the subs, or the speakers. im tired of having no base, and the speakers in my car alright, so i was leaning toward subs. what do you guys think?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1311
i think that a new good set of comps with a new HU would work many more wonders than would subs. in fact, many 6.5 really make a difference in the depth as well (mine are playing to 40 hz). the all around sound will be significantly improved, 80hz-Xkhz. the subs just pick up the 40 or so hz left over. jmo

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 168
i already got a new HU, premier 770mp fem months ago

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1316
sweet.

my personal order of operation:

1-hu
2-comps
3-amp(s)
4-subs
5-amp(s)
6-eq/xo
7-charging system

Bronze Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 66
if it was me id rather get the subs and amp first cause if you buy comps and all that other stuff youre probably not gonna have enough money for some decent subs and amps.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4834
Depending on your taste of music, sub+amp will maximize more for your money spent.
Unless you have Russian cars, most stereos will be adequate for normal listeners. What they will ALL lack is deep, low bass. A sub and an amp will right away, give you that. So for a while, you can get by.
If, on the other hand, you went for HU and components+amp, then you will enjoy excellent SQ. What you will lack is, again strong powerful bass.
This is why, your music preference will determine which upgrade will come first.

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 169
i listen to all types of music. basically im 17 and going to either buy the subs myself, 2 10" RE SE's, and then ask for like a re 12.1 or kicker kx1200.1 for x-mas along with a few other things, then ask for some decent comps like jl audio xr's or infinity kappa perfects for my bday and a adaquate amp to run them. or i could switch them around and get the speakers first then get the subs and amp for my bday, its only 2 months apart, so its not a big deal, just curious on which other ppl would do who know more than me about car audio.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1570
Here's what i would do 1st - i'd get really good speakers/components like those Perfects u said with a real good clean 4 chan amp like Orion/Alpine/JBL .

reason why : ppl hardly ever will want to change out good sounding speakers (thats like the constant variable) but the bass speakers ppl might change out when they want to experiment or get tired of the same ol sub/box type/sub size combination .

Another logic is - it doesn't make sense having all the bass when there's nothing else to compliment it with but u can get 'some' bass from your speakers meanwhile u are waiting to get your subs...

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 170
thanks. why would i need a 4 channel amp, couldnt i just use a 2 channel amp? im just going to take my rear speakers out, its a 3000GT which is a hatchback and the back seat is so small that i can barely fit 1 person in the back when their sitting across the seats, so i figure id be fine with just the componets up front and the subs in the hatch

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1586
oh well in your case yea a 2channel & since its only a 2 channel & u could spend some more $ & get the best amp & pair of components u can afford ....do it right the 1st time -lol ! ....Upload

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 173
yea that was my goal. spent a few weeks of research before i got my premeir 770mp for like 180 shipped, and a few weeks before i decided i want the RE SE's, now im trying to decide between infinity kappa perfects and the jl audio xr650s.. their both around 190 on ebay. basically i dont have a budget since most of it is going to be x-mas/my birthday but i cant push what i ask for since my dad did pay for half of my 3000GT in summer. what would you guys choose, the perfects or the xr650s? and what would be a good amp for them, like a kicker kx 200 or 250.2, or like a jl audio slash series, is it worth the price difference?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1588
U are a lucky dog !

Apart from those 2 very good brands there are ID & MB Quart comp/subs as well cause it seems like u are concerned about SQ .

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 334
umm 3000GT nice...1st gen or 2nd gen, VR4: or SL(if SL 5spd or auto:-()...i really like those cars just curious

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 174
94 SL auto forest green, which is the first gen i believe, 2nd gen was 97-99 i believe

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 175
yea im concerned with SQ but i want something that gets loud also. i like to enjoy my music but sometimes when i just feel like kicking it or showing off i like to be able to do that too. seemed like the SE's were a good choice for the subs, although i have to get the 10s because 3000GTs trunks are like 5 inches until the hatch goes up, so me and a friend are making a triangular box that goes up with the hatch. but yea between the 2 brands of speakers i listed which would you guys take and why?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us