A type r taking 2200 watts rms?

Bronze Member
Username: Hondarider

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 98
On realm excursion theres a vidoe of a guy with one 12 inch type r powered by 2 memphis 1000d amps witch are 1100 watts rms each a type r can handle that much power can it?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 794
He probably has the gains all the way down and the volume fairly low, so they def are not putting out full power.

Type RF Nut
Unregistered guest
Type RF or Type R????

Gains on an amp should not have anything to do with actual power, rather headroom...correct me if I am wrong...cause I can be wrong...a lot!

Bronze Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 99
It was a type. r whats type rf is that even alpine?

Type RF Nut
Unregistered guest
oh yeah type r alpine...gotcha....thinking rockford <---moron responded without thinking. I agree it would probably melt the thing.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 286
That's Mark a.k.a Spkrman from the caraudiobox.com...and trust me..he's clipping the hell out of those amps. Gains have nothing to do with actual output. Technically, you can reach full output with the gain all the way down on ANY amplifier. The Type R 15 can handle PLENTY of power..much more than what its rated for. Currently he's running 2 Type R 12's in a wall on an Orion 2500D...and they take that power all day.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1044
if he clipped the hell out of those amps theyd fry for sure... clipping blows subs easier it doesnt make them more efficient.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 797
Well, obviosly you can reach full power output with the gains all the way down, I know that. But if the gains are all the way down you have to turn up the volume ALOT more, and it also depends on what the actual line out voltage on the HU is. The gain does control how much power the amp puts out.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2359
in a sense it does

it controls how much input signal for "x" amount of output signal. so the more sensitive the gain, the less of an input signal you need to get the same output.

the amp will make it power regardless of the gain knob.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2360
besides that, if the coils are rated at 500wRMS, they will melt after about 800wRMS or so, they just aren't made for any more heat, regardless of excursion.

now i know most every sub is underrated as far as power handling, to protect the manufacturer, but i doubt that they could take 4 times the power w/o damage.

Bronze Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 100
Are memphis amps any good?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1302
you can give some subs HUGE amounts of power on burps...you just have to tune to box so the sub doesnt unload.

:-)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4037
yeah I am with Marshall on that but this guy said he does it all day long which makes it sound like a dd sub so I highly highly doubt it.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2366
you know what i meant.:-)

you don't give a sub THAT much power for extended periods of time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us