Need advice isaac

Bronze Member
Username: Keith78

Post Number: 42
im really sorry to make another thread but really need advice on situation i know a jl or zapco or orion amp would sound much much better than the kenwood but would my amp which is kenwood 900 watt cea2006 rated amp sound ok on 2 diamond audio 12in d3s rms on the d3 is 400 so thats about right from what ive read it wouldnt mess the sub up because of lower quality amp would it. really appreciate it

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 507
Sorry to butt in, but the amp won't damage the subs just because it's lower quality. You can run those subs at 5W as long as your gains are set properly. The simplest way to test for clipping is turning your HU up as high as you can until you can hear the door speakers distorting, and then take it down a couple notches to make sure you're out of the clipping range.

Next, leave the HU set to the highest clean level, or the coulpe notches you turned it down, and set your gain on your amp accordingly. Basically, the same way, until you hear distortion, or you know the subs are going past their peak Xmax or any other indicator you can use. Don't use Xmax as a first choice though lol, stick with your ears, they'll give you more truth.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4677
Josh, are the subs 4ohms DVC? If they are, then those wired in parallel first, then in series will give you 4ohms. That should be fine with your Kenwood amp in bridged mode.
I wouldn't say it'll sound excellent, but you should be satisfied with the result.
The sub's enclosure has more dramatic effect on SQ. It can make or break the sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
its mono amp 900watts is that better so know bridging ill be getting 2 dual 2ohm wired ithink in series to 2ohm that sound right

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
and are you the car guy on the z71 tahoe forum

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
Isaac is the guy with the infinitely deep pocket book ;P!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
i meant NO bridging. whoops

Gold Member

Post Number: 4688
Ha ha, funny Tyler. I am on a budget too. If I was really rich, I'd probably give you guys all a free amp for xmas!
Josh, if the amp is a mono, then no bridging is required.
This is the only forum I'm on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 518
I wish my budget allowed for an RE MT and the fixins' that go with it lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 520
AND the JL 12W7 with the HO box! We must have different ideas of the word "budget".

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3995
I'll be taking the HCCA 275 for x-mas Isaac! lol:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
I'll take the Zapco C2K 9.0. That'll do me for a while. Its the Zapco amp that does EVERYTHING isn't it? When I see that though, I think of the Y2K bug...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4690
Ha ha, well my toys don't cost as much as James' truck. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 221
isaac can u read my last post on the thread alt. to the sx12 and respond, you know your audio stuff the best

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
hard to get good advice. thanks, maybe some other suggestion on a sub or 2 subs for my amp at 900 watts

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3996
thats why I need the 275 HCCA from you daddy Isaac I am broke now lol:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 523
Pfft, I don't feel bad for James now that I took a look at his system...I'm about to start the Car Audio Salvation Army.

I don't get it though. I can get a Behringer EP-2500 power amp for $300. It's a really good amp for that price, as it has good SQ and power output. But if I want a car amp that puts out a true/clean 2400W, then I pay an arm and a leg. Where that Behringer puts out an honest/clean wattage of 2400W Bridged. It just doesn't make sense.

I know what you'll say, Hifonics gives you 10Kw for a cheap price, but compared to Hifonics, the Behringer amp is like JL in quality.

I'm "THIS" close to buying the behringer amp for my car lol.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3997
whats your budget Josh?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3999
Hifonics may say they will give you 10KW for a little price but they are way way overrated. The difference between the home audio and car audio power is the main power source. It is much easier to build a bulky power amp with very high power to run in your house because in your house you have unlimited amount of power. while in your car you are limited to space and the output of your electrical system. To Handle a true 2500 watts in your car you would need a 210 amp alt and that is just your amp not including your radio/lights/AC/engine/CPU so that plays a huge factor.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
about 350 .i can put 900watts to whatever and also ive got a 3/4mdf 1.75net vented box its a good box

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
ive got a z71 tahoe with 160amp or 180 amp alt cant remember. so that and a cap should be about right

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
also box is 12in. and that alt should handle 900watts right thanks for fast replys

Silver Member

Post Number: 532
I'm going to beg to differ on the a house has unlimited power lol. With my current home stereo at full tilt, I can cause slight light blinkage. With a monster power amp, it would be no challenge to go crazy and blow a fuse EASY.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4694
Josh, if you wait till next month, RE will have their new XXX subs out. The 12" model just might be in your price range.
If you can't wait, you can try the SX or SE models.
Their website is www.reaudio.com.
Tyler, you can have your home power upgraded to 200A for a fee.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
will my amp be ok with the tahoes 160 amp alt .my fuses on the amp 2 30amp fuses

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
I know this Isaac. And that's plenty for a power amp of the proportion...But any higher than that, you're gonna fish out some cash.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4001
yup your right Tyler but what I meant was its much easier to have unlimited amounts of power available to you unlike a car. Hey Josh I would do 1-Eclipse TI 12 its dual 4ohm and 750-1000 watts rms so it would work out perfect for you.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4002
you could also go ID max:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
what about jake hills 12in ti with abox for 250 .how does that sound
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts