Hey Nick(Joe Smoe)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3941
what do you think of this man? I might be making a purchase of a new plow truck:-) http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modelinfo.jsp?vehicle_number=100187508&&pager.offs et=25&dealer_id=53189862&model3=RAM25002WD&end_year=2006&sponsorModel=&address=0 6897&make2=CHEV&start_year=2000&fuel=&certified=&car_id=188839769&isp=y&search_t ype=both&max_mileage=75000&drive=4+wheel+drive&min_price=15000&distance=50&engin e=&body_style=TRUCKS&transmission=Automatic&lang=en&bkms=1128646162934&make=FORD &model2=CHEVC25&first_record=26&car_year=2003&doors=Four+Door&cardist=13&max_pri ce=22500&advanced=y&make3=DODGE&model=F250&color=#vdptop

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3838
The pics aren't working for some reason on the site.

Sounds good though man. Personally I'd look for a diesel, especially if it's gonna be a plow truck, but I don't know what all your intentions are. I do know you'll be happy with the Dodge. We have a 2004 3/4 ton HD Dodge Ram with the Cummins Diesel, I love that truck....

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4597
James what are you going to do with that truck? You changing careers?
Gas is out, diesel is in, well for now.
The truck does look good though. I'd personally make a flame thrower to melt the snow. Much easier and faster. Just don't let the cops see you doing it.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3947
hahahahaha yeah I was thinking about the diesel but the price makes a nice jump up. I do love the cummins it is a great motor. I hear ya Isaac about the diesel being in I am just not sure if I want to drop the extra money when 8 months out of the year it will be used as a utility vehicle and make money 4 months. I am not changing career's but with my career I have the luxery of 24 hour shifts and only two of them a week so the free time to make more money is there. Hell I could always pick up a few lawn accounts in the summer and use it to pull a mower around. I am gonna go look at the Diesel tomarrow. The new ones HP and FPT ratings are amazing. Nice and quiet to:-) The only reason I was thinking about the one I posted was because it is a heck of a deal.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4896
If I were looking for a gas engine HD truck, it would be a V-10 F250 or F350 hands down.

As long as it isn't a Chevrolet you'll be fine. They've gone down the crapper in the past few years, and their HDs SUCK.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3951
I completly agree with you Jon on the chevy's I have had 2 friends blow up rear ends one on a 2500HD and one on a z71 tahoe. I am not to familiar with the v10 ford motor the only thing I do know is V10=great gas mileage:-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3952
but the ford's do hold their value the best out of the major 3 american companies as well. I like the newer ford's with the power stroke's also, but I think it is a tad more then I want to spend. Whats wrong with the Hemi's I have heard great things about them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4603
Has anyone thought of renting a horse with a big shovel? It's very cheap. The only drawback I can see is the $hit smell you have to deal with.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3843
The ONLY complaint I have agains the Dodge Diesels, is the noise. I guess they worked on it and they're supposed to be a lot quieter than the older models, but I still think the Dodge's are louder than Fords or Chevy's.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 283
I drive a 2004 Dodge 3500 w/ the Turbo Cummins diesel and its nice but the tranny sucks. Dodge doesnt exactly have the greatest transmissions.

I would take ford or Dodge anyday.

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
I forgot to note that I drive that at work. I dont own it :-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3953
yeah I think they are louder as well. Hey Isaac why didnt you tell me that earlier man thats a great idea a horse and buggy with a close pin for your nose. I bet you I could mount two 100watt light bulbs in the horse's mouth, solder two snow shovel's in the front to act as a plow. a yellow optima battery with a 20amp alt and a 6000 watt stereo and my lights wouldnt dim one bit!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4898
Nothing wrong with the Hemi at all, it is a solid, surprisingly simple (in a good way) engine. The low end torque isn't as good as other engines in the class, though, which isn't as bad in a 1500 Ram, but slap it in a heavier HD truck and it proves itself undersized. But that applies to pretty much any V-8 HD truck out there since 5.7L is about as big as you're going to get nowadays.

The Ford modulars are outstanding engines as well and have proven themselves to be extremely reliable.

Cummins diesels and Powerstrokes are both very solid, reliable diesels. Cummins has the edge right now because Ford made some recent changesto the 6.0L and naturally had some minor kinks to iron out because of it. The main problems you're going to have with any of these diesels is injector problems, which is understandable since a direct injected diesel must be very precise with fuel timing. Other than that, it is usually more rare problems that happen on occasions, but you'll expect to hear of problems here and there simply because of the nature of the vehicle and the work asked of them.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4899
"I completly agree with you Jon on the chevy's I have had 2 friends blow up rear ends one on a 2500HD and one on a z71 tahoe. I am not to familiar with the v10 ford motor the only thing I do know is V10=great gas mileage"

I don't know what is going on at Chevy. I used to like their trucks, but the 80s were a long time ago. The Silverado is clearly beaten by the F-150 in pretty much any category you can conjure up. No wonder they were spitting out $9,000 worth of rebates to move them off a parking lot, I don't know who they think they're fooling.

The V-10 F250s are pretty good for the size and weight of the truck, about 16-17mpg on a highway run (empty of course). Not bad at all for what it is.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4605
16-17 mpg on the highway? So in the city you'll be getting somewhere around 12mpg? Man that's gotta hurt when you have to fill up.
At least it's better than a Hummer. You get 5mpg or less depending on the load.
A guy who drives it everyday, basically fills up everyday. Big tank too. I think around $150+ per fillup.
It should be against the law to make such wasteful, useless trucks. It's not even a real army Hummer.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3847
16 - 17 is alright for a gas pickup. Our 3/4 HD Dodge get's over 19. This summer we pulled a 13,000 fifth wheel up to Traverse City, about 4 hours away, and got 17 mpg. No way I'd go back to anything but diesel.

Anonymous

yea my dad has a 3500 and my mom has a 2500. there both great trucks. and both are quiet. my dads is 2003 and my moms is a 2005. i love driving them, especially after my dad got a chip upgrade in his.

Anonymous

both are diesel and dodge i mean.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3956
well I think I am set on the dodge ram 2500 quad cab hemi. I got such a deal working the SH!T out of two different dealerships to haggle down the price. I got it down to $19K with a chrysler certafied 8 year 80K warranty and a 8 ft fisher plow. The truck is fully loaded with 35K mi on it. Not a bad deal at all:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4609
You're paying $19k? That is not a bad deal at all. For that amount here, all you will get is some $hitty Ford/Nissan fragile crap.
But then again, we live in a country that's run by crook politicians and moronic voters.
Now if you plowed every winter charging $150 per house per season for 40 customers, in about 4 years, you'd get your money back. After that, it's gravy.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3957
I have 30 customers and they range from 50-80 per house. Last year with my 1986 chevy k20 I made 10K so if it is anything like last year it will be paid off in two years:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
wow, that is the way to go. Its like getting a free truck. Its not even like plowing is that hard. However gas prices are gunna play more of a factor this year.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3960
yeah your right but this is what I figure, I was getting 5 miles per gallon with my 86 chevy and I will be getting 13-15 with the new one so it kinda makes up for it. a little bit of wishfull thinking:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Vic_in_explorer

Sanford, Florida United States

Post Number: 24
Are you thinking about cutting the cab for subs in that truck. Throw some 24" shoes on that beast.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4902
The biggest thing I'd be worried about with diesel is the upcoming 2007 ULEV-II standards. It will require diesels to have 90% less harmful emissions, which equates to more refinement, less yield, potentially higher prices. But diesel is such a ripoff right now anyway, it doesn't take near as much oil to produce a gallon of diesel as it does a gallon of gas.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3849
It doesn't take near the refinement to produce diesel as it does gas, what you get out of the ground isn't that bad to start off with. Much less involved in refining diesel fuel.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3963
I agree thats why I am gonna go with the hemi. As far as the other guy telling me to throw 24in rims on it: I am not 18 anymore man its gotta be able to get up my road in the snow and low pro's with big wheels are as good as a early mustang in the snow(or rain for that matter) it is a truck that has to be able to make money not show off its rims and tires!

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3851
The truck looks cool enough as it is, who needs 24's?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3965
I think it does to.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4903
24s kill the purpose of having a truck altogether. It looks goofy anyway, I've seen plenty of Caprice Classics with a higher ride height than my truck has.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3855
Haha. If your gonna go all the way with a truck, forget about the rims. Just give it a lift and put super-swampers on it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4628
How about a monster truck? You will never get stuck in snow.
I still like my idea of using a flame thrower to melt snow. You might cause flooding though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
yah flooding would def. be an issue. It wouldnt be your problem though, probably wouldnt get a call back from the customer though, LOL.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3968
yeah although I do like the look of lifted trucks I have already gone down that route with my Jeep and all the knocks, and clicks, and rough ride and hum from the tires just isn't worth it again. Although it looks great I am gonna enjoy the stock ride for a while atleast:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us