What to do

Username: Chevytruck_96

Az

Post Number: 8
I own a 96 chevy fullsize extended cab. I am curently running polk momo 4 channel with front comp, and a polk momo D class amp with a 5 farad cap. In the next month or so i want to add another Polk MOMO 4 channel and rear comp's. I am going to step it up to a soundstream 20 farad cap. should i invest in a bigger alt or battery first it seems that my battery has been through hell and back and what type or type's should i get never had a system big enough to constitute these needs

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 295
Hey Phil.. You might not want to run a D Class amp to a set of 4ways.. Just might not be producing the best sound quality you possibly could.. But aside from that...

A new alternator is never a bad idea. Your vehicles charging system is a key factor in preventing distortion/clipping your subs, which in turn, prevents damage. If your battery is NOT deep cycle, and you've been dropping it's voltage, chances are it's damaged, and should be replaced at the same time, to prevent damaging your brand new alternator.

Also, you might want to avoid the 20 farad caps...they're response time isnt nearly what a smaller capacitors is. Is it one of those little square models, that looks more like an amplifier than a capacitor? I honestly recomend just picking up another battery, instead of a 20 farad capacitor..probably wouldnt cost you too much more to get a deep cycle optima. :-) (that's what I would recomend as well for your replacemenmt battery).

A good rule of thumb, is 1 farad per 1,000 watts RMS, as far as capacitors go, so your 5 farad should be more than adequate.

Seth
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us