All professionals, break in question???

Bronze Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 27
I was just wandering what the best way to break in a new sub is. I've also heard some people say woofers don't need to be broken in, which I don't personally believe. In any case, is there any "best method" to break in a sub?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1174
I'm no pro but i'd say 1/3 to moderate volume few hrs/day for a few wks just to be certain ....

But i'm sure somebody will post & disagree that its not necessary to do it 'so long' & some guy might also say 'no need to break in' .....

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 443
i think where was a long thread about this a while back, have you searched for it?? can't remember if there was ever a decision made or not though, lol

Silver Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 116
i broke in my subs for about three weekes at about 1/3 volume like rovin said, and ive done that with every sub ive had and ive never had any problems, but i did mine in my house stereo set up, id put them on low, go to school from 9 to 12 then come home and turn them off, did that 2-3 days out of the week

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1177
Hey Eddie - we agree AGAIN lol

I should have also added in that I TOO also break them in for a few hrs everyday using my house stereo equipment cause its more convenient & its basically the same principle .....

Username: Mattc6465

Post Number: 7
what should you do if you dont have a home stero system?

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 177
if you don't have a home theater do what they said just listen to it at moderate to low volume for a few hrs a day for about 2 wks

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 385
I'm not saying it's not necesary , but , I have never broken in any of my subs and they've all played fine for as long as I have owned 'em, and I've owned quite a few excellent subs. I probably never will take the time to break in a sub just because evrytime I get a new sub, the first thing I want to do is hook it up and let it ROAR!! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 432
I would give a recomendation, but cmon man, who listens to their "just brought them home subs" at 1/3 volume?

I am not a good example. I usually bust it. Theres no feeling like the feeling you get when you just built your box. Ha Ha, the glue isnt even dried, and its gettin hooked up, even in the living room, if the car audio is all apart.

I would , but I wont.

JUST BUILD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 377
What I would do is buy a 1800W RMS Carver Power amp with dynamic power peaks of 2.5Kw and run it at it's continuous power on your subs. Hehehe, nothing like a Carver to blow up ANY sub. I'd challenge an RE MT to widthstand the ferocity of a high end Carver Power Amp...I don't see the RE lasting long...

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
Those statistics are just random numbers I threw out, and most likely don't work out to be remotely true, but a Carver M-1.0t has dynamic power peaks of 1.6Kw, so who knows, and the later models Bob Carver put out, were absolutely astounding with the amount of power they poured out.

Only problem was a special high grade electrical line was required to be run into the house/studio running them, therefore requiring your house/studio to be built around your sound system...I love Carver...

If I could, I'd put a Carver amp in my car...

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 433
I had a Carver 500-T or MT, I dont remember anymore. Yeah that thing was heavy (large power supply), but it wasnt impressive. My B&K had more controll and sounded more natural than that CARVER. Carver was good for large power supplys, thats it. They are sloppy, especially when it comes to bass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
You're insane. You were probably clipping the hell out of it or something. Carver makes EXCELLENT products, with amazing SQ/SPL outputs. Brands that are power wh0res that come to mind would be like Pyle and Pyramid as far as power amps go. THOSE are amps designed to just play loudly.

And I'm pretty sure that the amp you're speaking of, correct me if I'm wrong, was it not in a cubical shape? If so, those amps did have their flaws sadly.

I just can't agree about them being sloppy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
http://cgi.ebay.com/Carver-M-500t-Power-Amp-CT-Seven-Tuner-Pre-Amp-M-500T_W0QQit emZ5814425376QQcategoryZ71544QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's the amp you're talking about, and it's not the cubically shaped one. That amp, however, isn't one of the powerful ones, and I'm going to say you drove it into clipping. As powerful as they may be for amplifiers, they too have their limitations, as do all things...

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 434
If an amp clips, then ............................ it is garbage. Thats just it.

The B&K I had was not something to brag about, but it did circles around the Carver.

Carver is a product line that is good for cheap power, thats it. If you need alot of power and you aint got enough dough, then Carver is good for that. You cant find a quality 750 watt amp for under $500.

By the way I have had plenty of amps, and equipment and I know how to treat them. I dont abuse my stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4618
"I'd challenge an RE MT to widthstand the ferocity of a high end Carver Power Amp."

The question is not whether RE MT can handle the power, but will you be able to stand the sound pressure?
As you know, I have 15" MT, and it has no problem with 1200w rms +. It should handle 2000w-2500w rms without any problem. The maximum peak on MT is 5000w.
I dare you to supply 2500w to MT. Either you will shatter something in your car/room or make the power plant very happy ($$$).

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
"The question is not whether RE MT can handle the power, but will you be able to stand the sound pressure?
As you know, I have 15" MT, and it has no problem with 1200w rms +. It should handle 2000w-2500w rms without any problem. The maximum peak on MT is 5000w.
I dare you to supply 2500w to MT. Either you will shatter something in your car/room or make the power plant very happy ($$$)."

I'd do it, just to prove a point lol. And it's not like the power plant is going to make that much money in the time it would take to blow that sub.

But hey, who wants to blow it lol.

And Mix, TODAY you can find Carver amps for that price, sure, but back when they were being produced with QUALITY 70'a and 80's, they went for $800+! And that was for midline Carver amps. I have a feeling the newer stuff isn't as good nowadays though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
I don't think the sound pressure would be a big deal anyways. My house, is almost 200 years old, and the foundation walls are between 2-3ft. thick. So I don't think the house is going to fall apart.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4619
Tyler, I'd like to see you try and blow MT with clean power. I am not sure if you've seen the demo of some morons trying to blow one by over driving it without an enclosure, but it sure lasted.
Unless there was mechanical flaw to start with, it is very rare for subs to blow operating at their optimum power level (excluding cheap subs).

Silver Member

Post Number: 400
Carvers do provide A LOT of clean power. If an M1.0t delivers dynamic powers of 1.6Kw, just imagine the power a better Carver amp would do.

I've found by experimenting, that it is the dynamic power that often will blow or damage a speaker.

Take my Realistic Nova-15 bookshelf speakers. I burnt the voice coils out on one of them with a 60WPC Kenwood KR-6600.

I had started playing Shinedown. Then switched to Evanescence. If you've heard both, you know which one was recorded with dramatically better bass.

The thing is, I didn't turn down the Kenwood when I switch CD's. Although my power meter still read 30W output after the switch, it turned out that it was delivering dynamic powers between 100W and 200W from varying parts of the music.

This is probably also the reason, that my Kenwood can accurately power a pair of 150W RMS MTX DJ speakers, just as well as a power amp.

I saw that demo, and found it absurd. And I question how well it really lasted, as it sounded awful at the end, and right at the very end it appeared catch fire in the voice coil AGAIN! Sure, it can widthstand all that, but who wants to put a speaker through that and then build an awesome system around a tortured speaker? That's pointless.

The one thing they did wrong, was trying to blow the speaker with a car audio amp. As a general rule, most car audio amps don't deliver more than 1/3 their "possible as listed by the company" power.

Had they used a good home audio amp, say Carver for example, destroying that sub would have been like a walk in the park.

You heard Mix, although we don't see eye to eye, the Carver amps deliver enormous amounts of power. Just the smallish models, such as the M-1.0t can EASILY cause a blown fuse in a houses main circuit breaker.

They deliver so much power, that it isn't even wise to run a Carver amp and your speaker system with it on a regular basis, because speakers just can't hold up to that for extended periods of time.

That's why I find it funny at these car audio shows where they play music all the time at high levels. The companies that KNOW what they're doing, KNOW that putting one sub in a car and blasting it, won't last long.

So what do they do? They put multiple subs. Less cone movement = extended speaker life. That's partially why I see a flaw with one speaker systems, take Muddy's for example. (Not bashing you or anything Muddy).

But if you have 1 10" sub, and run it at peak excursions for long times, it will burn out more quickly than say 2 10" subs running at mid range power handling, and last a lot longer.

Oh well, now that that is out of me, I feel better.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 436
Tyler,

You seem so angry and are trying to back up your original statements. Comon man, sit back and look at all this. Your whole point is how Carver is sooooooooooo powerfull it will blow up speakers and stuff like that. If you havent noticed I actually owned a Carver amp, I owned it for almost a decade. I am quite aware what a Carver amp is capable of. By th eway, Carver sold out, he is not manufacturing and designing Carver amps since about a decade or so ago. He sold it to a company in Seatle Washington. This company is now servicing Carver amps. I am speaking from experience. I have done business with them.

Besides, this thread was about breaking in subs, not blowing up subs.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2131
i beleive....that my one 10" will last longer than your 2 Volfenhags.

with full power everyday;)

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2132
i also *believe* that it is more an issue of build quality, and playing the sub in its operating limits.

i wouldn't buy 2 subs, and only give them half the power so they wouldn't flex that much. THAT'S what they are made to do.
besides that, you aren't getting full operational potential out of them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
what would happen if you didnt break it in?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1211
The idea is like when u build a new engine , u don't go down the 1/4 mile with it brand new but allow it to run some miles so that the parts are excercised & broken in .

Same as if u buy a new pair of sneakers , will feel stiff in the beginning but after a while gets comfortable & feels better .

So too with a sub , will sound better after some time than when brand new cause its relatively stiff .

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 437
Muddy,

I can appreciate your humor.

Silver Member

Post Number: 422
Mix, I'm aware they sold out, but what you may not be aware of was not long after Carver sold out, he went on his own designing amps with horendous amounts of power, but I'm pretty sure they weren't called Carvers...Either way, those are no longer made, as they require too many modifications to the listening area, mainly that being the ingoing wiring to the area...

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
I dunno Muddy, my Volfs are going on their 8th month anniversary, without a flaw! I run them relatively loudly on a normal basis, and nothing has failed yet. I compare this to my friend who blew a new, but used, pair of Infinity Kappa Perfects in one week after buying them, and the previous owner used them lightly...My friend literally blew the cone off the sub.

So I'm going to say my Volfs are relatively durable in comparison...

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2145
so is my 10" DD:-O
i'm not trying to start anything with you, just saw mt name mentioned, and i figured i would mess with ya. lol

which part of my humor mix?

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
You better not be trying to start anything ;P. I'll just have to come blow out your windows with my Volfs otherwise hehehe.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2148
hehe, i bet i will make your eyes widen with my single 10".

i have many ppl clueless as to how i get so much volume with only 1 10". and.....Crystal....clear....basss.:-) yay me! LOL i'm such an idiot. lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
I thought about buying a couple of DD 12's, but I'm not sure which model is good. I would need something with 400-500W RMS.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2150
then the 2500 series is the choice for you.:-)
they have great SQ as well.

they retail for $209

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
Hrmmm $209 EACH? I wonder if I could get them at about $150-160 shipped...Hrmm...

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 438
The part where you challenged his Volfs against your 10" DD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
where can you get them from.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2151
i challenged build quality, not loudness.

lol, but wouldn't that be funny if my 10 was louder than his two 12's(wouldn't be the first time)

Anonymous

wait.....are DD subs home audio subs?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 439
I sorta laughed to myself there when you challenged him slightly. I thought he was gonna bite on that hook and open up another can of worms.

No pun intended Tyler. You have experience and knowledge in this hobby, but like you said, we dont see it on the same level.

Thats why they make red cars and blue cars (so we have a choice), well not everybody. Henry Ford said "You can have any color car you like, as long as its black". ha ha

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2153
DD=Digital Designs

www.ddaudio.com

they are car audio subs.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2154
gotcha mix. lol
as long as it is black. lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
Henry Ford...was a Boy Genius and a Man Idiot is how I see it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us