18" sub/s that beats 4 15" Immortals

Username: Bigatna

Colorado United States

Post Number: 8
I know this is pushin it I'm in high school and i need 1 or 2 15/18" subs that will beat 4 15" audiobahn immortals with 1500 watts going to each in a 10 cu ft box. I have a 2001 ford ranger xlt and I'm able to fit at most 2 18" inch subs in the back in at most a 10 cu ft box. I have around a $3 grand max budget for the Subs and the Amps i got pretty much everything else. If anyone could come up with a system that beats that, that would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1230
maybe 2 RE MT 18's and 2 orion 2500d's. (you are gonna prolly need a dual alt setup w/ 2 2500d's though)

what car are the immortals installed in? is it an SPL install or a daily driver? how loud are the immortals (spl?)?

Bronze Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Oknagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 88
where you located?
check out http://www.audissy.com/db_amps.html
and check out the 1000.2 amp 4000 max, $1,800
im getting that amp going to be huge! try 1-2 solo kicker X, 2500 RMS 5000 MAX, big bass

Colorado United States

Post Number: 9
The Immortals are in a 1999 Ford Explorer. Its a daily driver. Im not sure about the spl he hasnt got it metered yet. My guess would be around 140-150 but im not sure.

Colorado United States

Post Number: 10
I live in Broomfield, Colorado. But never heard of Helix amplifiers so im not sure about the rating and efficiency on the amps but it looks pretty sweet.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 511
well if you can find them get some shocker sigs, and a kicker kx 2400.1 to power each one. this setup will kick the sh!t out of the audiobahns.im guessing with this setup you should be close to the 155-160db mark.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1005
audioque HD 15s. 369 each. get 2 and run a kicker kx2500 or a orion 2500d.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4558
Instead of getting 2 18" RE MT subs, try 3 15" MTs. It'll give you more power and also sound louder.
Beating 4 15" audiobahn immortals isn't that hard. You might even do it with 2 15" MTs. The key is supplying the needed current to the amps that's driving the MTs.

The box design also plays significant role. 15" MTs will require 5cu ft of space and large port area. I'll give you an example, for 15" MT, you need two 6" ports, tuned to 35Hz. That might require 28" to 30" of PVC pipes.
Supply 1500w rms of real power to one MT and it's enough to move everything in the car. If you had another MT, then you will start breaking things, probably your windows/mirrors.
HO alternator is a must. At least 200A or higher. 2nd yellowtop battery for the amp(s) with isolator and 5F cap. This will ensure there will be enough power flowing to the amps.
RE 15" MTs are around $450 each. So that'll leave you with 2 grand, if you built the boxes yourself ($130 in material cost).
If you're lucky, you might be able to pick up 2 Zapco C2K 9.0x amps. So far on eBay, they've been selling for $1000 or slightly less.
If that's too high, then Orion 2500D x 2 should be around $1100. Then you can add 3rd MT sub.

This setup should beat 4 15" audiobahn immortals handsdown.
FYI, the MTs will come to life when given 1200w rms or higher.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1231
ahhh...good recommendation Trevor.

those audioque some are basically DD9500's...made in the same build house and everything. (if i'm not mistaken, the guy that owns audioque and the guy that owns DD are father and son)

Austin,
how loud your subs are going to be is going to depend ALOT on the install. your looking at needing alot of install known-how if you are going to properly install 2 high-end 15/18's and 2 2500wrms amps. (prolly 2 runs of 0ga, dual alts, dual batts, huge well braced box, and over all alot of work)

Bronze Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Oknagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 94
Actually the amps are underrated a bit so you can expect a bit more power than listed at RMS, though you pay for them that model runs at $1,800 and more than one can be bought so you can daisy chain them together!

Bronze Member

Colorado United States

Post Number: 11
My dad said he will purchase the alternator at whatever cost it is and I've read that the Dominick Iraggi alternators are really high quality. But I'm not sure. So that takes quite a bit of money outta the total.

I was just about to ask about the batteries. What would you guys reccomend for a battery with this much power going to it?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1009
optima yellowtop... if u want to save space but spend a little more get xstatic batcap 800s. like 2-4 of them. they work great and are about 1/4 the size of a yellowtop.

Bronze Member
Username: Madeupname

Post Number: 19
also look into hifonics amps. they put out high power at very low ohm levels

Bronze Member

Colorado United States

Post Number: 12
Ya i was just lookin around for amps and found the Hifonics BX2005D for $345 and that puts out 2000 watts into 1 ohm. That would save me quite some money also.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1070
Hifonics !? - honestly Joe !? no disrespect but in cheaper less powered set-ups sure thats cool - but @ this mega level , i doubt they would fit the bill since alot of ppl would agree they put out about 70% of the rated power .
I think Isaac rec set-up nailed it on the head ....

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 202
NO HIFONICS if you can afford not to

Bronze Member

Colorado United States

Post Number: 13
I've pretty much decided on two 18" MTs quad 1.4 voice coil. I would put these in a 9.11 cu ft box after displacement. There would be 2 rectangular ports, each 15" by 3" and 14.44 inches long. So the box would tuned to approx 35 Hz. Each sub would have a Orion 2500D wired to them in parrallel/series wiring found on www.reaudio.com in the wiring page. That would give me a 1.4 ohm load outta the amplifier right? With a 315 alternator and each amp going to a XStatic Batcap 800 battery. Does that sound good? If i did anything wrong or that set up wouldnt get louder than the Immortals please tell me.

I decided on going with 2 18" MTs instead of 3 15" MTs because of the extra money. This set up will put me around $2600 or so.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1011
recomendation. put 2 batcap 800s to each amp... its reccomended 1 batcap800 per 1000w rms.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1234
austin,

IMO, a second batt would be better than a the batcaps...maybe something like a Kinetics 1800.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1235
oh...and austin,

are you going to do a wall or a box under the window line?

either way, subs on the passenger side...port on the drivers is prolly your best SPL set up in a truck.

and if you are looking for power wire...hop over to ebay and find the guy that sells audiopipe 1/0ga wire by the spool (like 25ft per spool). I bought a spool from him awhile back, it was only $45 shipped!

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3829
I'd personally use two DD 9917's, but that's over your 3 grand limit for just the subs...

MT's are definitely your best bet.

Bronze Member

Colorado United States

Post Number: 14
Im gonna do a box.

Thanks for the box tip also, that will help with positioning the amps and all that extra stuff.

And on the wire thats a pretty good deal I'll have to look for him.

Bronze Member

Colorado United States

Post Number: 15
Ya I looked into the 9917's but the price was just way to much for me especially since I'm a sophmore in high school.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1236
one more thing austin,

since you are doing a box below the window line...if you have room, put both subs firing up on the passenger side. also, just do one big slot port also firing up on the drivers side. (~100sq inches+)

i know a guy w/ 2 RE SEX.X.X. 12's doing ~148-49dB w/ 1 2500d in a range. (i see him at comps all the time)

oh...one more one more thing...lol
w/ a box as big as you a building, brace that sucker alot...1/2" treaded rod can work wonders, and if you can double layer the whole box w/ 3/4" mdf. (so each wall is 1.5" thick). those MT's are gonna build up alot of pressure, and you dont want your box to flex. I have 1 SX15 in a single layered 3/4" box ~5.5cuft, and it flexes alot (i gonna have to brace it pretty soon).

have fun loosing your hearing :-)

Bronze Member

Colorado United States

Post Number: 16
well the box is gonna go past the window line on the truck. I can't fit 2 18" firing up but i'm going to have one right behind the bottom half of the passenger seat and one right behind the head of the passenger. The Port is gonna be between the driver seat and the passenger seat. Its gonna be 15" by 7" and 27" Long.

I plan on reinforcing the box quite a bit and also double layering the box. Thank you guys for all the help.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1238
so do you mean you are gonna have the box like:

A) O O []

or

B) O [] O

O = sub, []=port.
option A is usually the best option for trucks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4563
Austin, no batcap. Get a real battery. If you can one for each amp. Isolator is required.
5F cap x 2 will aid in smoothing out power spikes.
As for your box, it might be a bit too small for maximum efficiency. My 15" MT needed 5 cu ft. Since yours is 18", you might need 6 cu ft per sub.
If you're planning to win the competition/battle, properly designed box will make or break it.

Bronze Member

Colorado United States

Post Number: 17
Um like...
[]__0
___0

Without the _ those are there because otherwise the 0 wont show up in the right place.

0=sub []=port

Bronze Member

Colorado United States

Post Number: 19
Ya i can fit a 12.88 cu ft box in the back of the ranger. Thats what i'll do. i'll get 2 batteries and 2 5f cap. Which caps and isolator should i get though? I will have from 600-1000 for the batteries and caps and isolator.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 171
man are you sure you're gonna have enough room for all of this b/c my friend has an ext cab ranger w/ 4 10's firing up and it barely fits.

Bronze Member

Colorado United States

Post Number: 20
ya i measured it all out, the box takes up the whole back part of the truck. Theres only 4 inches from the top of the box to the roof of the truck. Each sub is facing the back of the seat and one sub is behind the bottom half of the seat and the other sub is behind the head rest. Its a tight fit but it fits.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 125
yeah i am about to say my girlfriends truck has 2 W7 12's in a 5 1/2 cubic box below the window line. and their is no moving back in the passenger or drivers seat....loud as hell tho....FLEXES THE ROOF!! that install is my pride and joy tho!!

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 126
also forgot to add she has a 01 ext XLT ranger.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1019
isaac... dont underestimate the batcap 800.. i have one and it works wonders... i had dimming with my 1000/1 at like half volume and with the batcap there is no dimming whatsoever, at any volume.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4577
There was already a thread on batcaps and 100F capacitors.
Don't let GlassWolf see this thread, it'll tick him off.
You're really better off with HO alternator first. Then battery and a cap when required.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1020
i wasnt telling him to get a batcap and not an alternator. he already said his dad is buying him an alternator. but batcap 800s work great as batteries. they are 70% battery and 30%cap.

why would glass get mad?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4578
Someone was vouching for batcap in another thread before, and I think GW explained why that and 100F caps were useless.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us