How to get subs to hit hard.

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 137
Now the hole HPF and LPF thing is kinda confusing. Some one says to have it hit hard turn LPF all the way down on your amp and well didnt ay anything about HPF. Now any one have any input on what LPF and HPF does for Subs?

Also my settings if you need to know are on My HU are 80hz for LPF and 180 for HPF also Sub level on my HU is on +4db also the SQ on the HU is at 60Hz+6 and on the amp its 25% way up for LPF and HPF is about 85% way up it hits hard. THe sub "LEVEL" is at about 90% of the way. hits alright nice but it starts 2 GET REALLY REALLLY HOT after about 20min of use on about 30/40 volume.

Any suggestions or ideas for some fine tuning?

Bronze Member
Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 30
HPF and LPF (High Pass Filter and Low Pass Filter) are pretty easy to understand if you think about it like this HPF: Passes or Allows high frequencies to play at the cut off and above with the slope being how hard it cuts off at that frequency. LPF is exactly the oposite it passes or allows LOW frequencies to play at the cut off and below with the slope being how hard it cuts off at that frequency.

Do you have the gain on your amp at 90%???

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 138
YA around there if not like 87 ish percent.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 256
The LPF filter on your amp should not necessarily be turned all the way down. There is no point in having it below ~20Hz because you cant hear it. You should have it set at the tuning freq. of your box.

Vampire
Unregistered guest
Hey does anyone know what measurements for 2 15" volfenhag subs would be and what my settings on my amp should be at? I have a 1995 cutlass supreme if this helps any and an explod 760 amp I am just starting out. Help please.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 143
MIKE : The LPF filter on your amp should not necessarily be turned all the way down. There is no point in having it below ~20Hz because you cant hear it. You should have it set at the tuning freq. of your box.

Well mike i know the box dimentions could you tell me what its suppose to be tuned to? Its made by Power Car AUdio or somfin like that

Denis_A
Unregistered guest
Ok, here's a generalized setting for a typical setup. for the sub, you can set a LPF at around 80hz-100hz. depending on the sub, you can play with that setting a bit. and for the front speakers, I like them to have a HPF where the sub gets cutoff at 80hz-100hz. with this setup, anything below 80hz goes to your subs, and anything above 80hz goes to your front speakers.

If you got filters on the the headunit, I don't think its necesary to have them set on the amp. Or you can turn off crossovers on your headunit and set them all up on your amp. one or the other, I don't think both are required.

And about your amp "gain", you got to set it at the voltage your headunit RCA preouts are rated at.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us