W7 truble glass help

kl 43
Unregistered guest
see i have a 13.5 w7 and a jl 1000/1 the sub plays for a little bit then the amp over heats and go's into protection mode .........now wait before we all start saying it the ground or the alt or the any thing else like that its just not so....why becouse i took the sub out and put my old 12 kickers and it woked fine on old amp and new amp that is the jl 1000 1 i even sent the amp in to be fixed and they said it was fine now i have a 1600 watt ppi and 2 15 and the car system runs fine.......so i figure it the sub rite well i have taken it to 7 different shops and no and i mean no can see why it keeps doing that i have had it set properly and every thing i have done it my sely 2 time and i get the same result i would send it to jl but they want 450 to fix it and that is in sain ......do i just have a dud or somthing?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4461
Why don't you get a DMM and measure the load on the W7. See if it's 3ohms or close to it.
Did you say you already tried 12" Kicker sub with JL 1000/1 amp?
What HU and gain/level setting do you have on the amp?

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 112
actually that sub is Dual 3 ohm.....it can be wired to 6 ohms or 1.5 ohms. my guess is he is prolly running it at to high of an ohm load....cuz the amp will not work in anything but a 1.5 to 4 ohm setup....might explain the heat issue. did you have the voice coils series or paralell? second guess is you might not have hooked up a set of the voice coils? but that wouldn't cause the amp to go into protect......what gage speaker wire are you using?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4840
It will work with a higher impedance just fine, you just won't get the power output.

How did you set your gain? If you want accurate results, do not set them by ear, use a DMM. JL gives tutorials on this.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 423
the 13W7 is dual 1.5 ohm, make sure you have the couls in series for a 3 ohm load, parallel would give you a 0.75 ohm load.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 424
coils, not couls, lol

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10620
yup. I'm guessing coils are in parallel. need to be in series.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 113
just what i was thinking!!!! series those coils and it will jam like it's supposed to!!

kl 43
Unregistered guest
i have i have sorry i did not get back to you but they did that metter thing that i have not done my self i get it to hit for 10 maybe 20 min then the amp over heats

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 988
thats strange because i have a 1000/1 and its a beast it doesnt overheat easily... i think the hottest its been was when my black car was left in the middle of a parking lot at noon on a florida summer day lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us