RE XXX

Silver Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 175
WOULD THE SQ ON A RE XXX BE ABOSOULTLEY TERRIBLE. I LIKE LOUD MUSIC MOSTLY FOR RAP BUT I STILL WANT IT TO SOUND PRETTY LOUD. I WANT TO HAVE SOMETHING UNIQUE THAT IS INSANLEY LOUD. WOULD THIS BE A GOOD ROUTE TO GO.

Silver Member

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 176
SORRY I ACCEDENTALLY DOUBLE CLICKED

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4467
RE XXX will give you both SQ and SPL. Rap would be a waste on XXX sub. Just about any sub will play rap and sound decent.

Silver Member

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 177
i ment to say an re xxx 18" i want one massive sub instead of 2 cv vmax 12s that i currently have

Gold Member

Post Number: 4475
With larger subs, you'll get lower bass notes and SQ.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1096
"With larger subs, you'll get lower bass notes and SQ."

not true.
lower bass-yes. but, unless you are speaking EXTREMELY subjectively, increased size is not directly proportional to sq. in fact it is argued more often that larger subs reduce sq.
*emphatically stated* even this is an incorrect assumption in most cases.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1097
abject apologies. i realized that you likely subscribe to the later assumption.
but the afore "emphatically stated" still applies, lol.

Anonymous

what if he was increasing sq because of sub type including size?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1103
it's just kind of difficult to tell if he was saying larger subs have better sq or worse sq.
after having read his thread a second time, it seems like he was saying larger decreases sq.
clearly the type will be a factor, though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4481
I put it in short form. I'll explain further.
Larger subs will give you very low bass and some SQ. However, because of it's size, it will have more difficult time producing fast bass/drums. If you listen to lot of long low notes such as pipe organs, then 18" or even 20" would be great.
For fast paced bass, couple of 10" or 12" would give you both SQ and SPL.
This doesn't mean you won't find some exceptions with large subs.
Another thing, SQ is subjective. What might sound distorted to you, someone else might find it fascinating.
To me, SQ = speaker that can accurately reproduce the original music without adding distortion.

Mikechec9, don't to quick with my posts. Sometimes, I compress my post too much or assume people understand the double meaning.
It happens when you answer similar questions over and over.

Silver Member

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 180
how would u rate the sq. i just have heard that 18s can be very distorted . i know that xxxs are incredible subs so would they still be fairly accurate in sound reproduction. i like lower boomier tones anyway but i dont want something that is overly sloppy. i mostly want something really loud that sounds pretty good. also what kind of power do these need for every day use in a 8.5 cube ported box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1115
"Larger subs will give you very low bass and some SQ. However, because of it's size, it will have more difficult time producing fast bass/drums."

Moving mass doesn't effect the sub's ability to respond. That determinant is placed mostly on the sub's bl and suspension. I used to be of that persuasion as well. The difference between 10, 12, 15..etc is how "punchy" vs. how deep the sub reproduces the source. With proper tuning, you can get the sq out of any of the above stated sizes. No doubt though, sq is certainly subjective.

"Sometimes, I compress my post too much or assume people understand the double meaning.
It happens when you answer similar questions over and over."

I can relate, lol

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4858
Moving mass doesn't, but the efficiency of a large subwoofer is in the lower frequency range, and regardless of how high the BL is, you are going to begin to get cone flutter and muddiness as frequency goes higher. It's mainly because an 18" sub is going to have more cone flex than an equivalent 10" or 12" would, and will have energy storage (resonances) at higher frequencies.

Anonymous

"Moving mass doesn't effect the sub's ability to respond"

put a sub in water and compare it to a sub in free air.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1857
wow. no comment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1118
"Moving mass doesn't, but the efficiency of a large subwoofer is in the lower frequency range, and regardless of how high the BL is, you are going to begin to get cone flutter and muddiness as frequency goes higher. It's mainly because an 18" sub is going to have more cone flex than an equivalent 10" or 12" would, and will have energy storage (resonances) at higher frequencies."

yes. as i said, the difference is going to be in how punchy or how deep one prefers his music. but i cross my subs at 63hz. there won't be any difference in transient response between my 12" and a comparable 15". the difference lies only in inductance.

thus: "because of it's size, it will have more difficult time producing fast bass/drums."

this is a farce. it's a myth largely but wrongly believed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1121
jonathan, at what frequencies might cone flex with larger subs become an issue?
the tumult caps on my brahmas were employed for just that reason. probably overkill, but still..

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4862
Depends on the cone type, voice coil size, and other factors like the box type. Hard to say really, a little cone flex occurs in almost any driver. It isn't just the cone flex that makes a driver muddy, edge resonances and general cone resonances occur as well, as the driver gets larger, these resonances occur at a lower frequency. This is best viewed on a waterfall plot, and is the main pusher of metal coned drivers, while they have a large breakup mode at a higher frequency, they have little energy storage throughout their intended range and are incredibly clear and neutral. You can compare waterfall plots between the SEAS Excel and the Adire Extremis or Scanspeak Revelators and see there is a huge difference. The results are definately audible, listening to the Excels is like taking earmuffs off your head, seriously.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us