Triple x broken tensel lead

Bronze Member
Username: Colinjay18

Houston, Tx Usa

Post Number: 37
anyone ever have the tensel lead break on a X.X.X.
mine is still under warranty and they are saying it could cost me up to $75 to fix. they said the amp is clipping and that isn't covered. anyone know about this, any help would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1633
you should save your money and send it back, that way you know it is done correctly, and i would turn down that amp in the future.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1634
you should save up your money, not implying that you shouldn't send it back and try to do it yourself.:-)

Bronze Member

Houston, Tx Usa

Post Number: 38
my amp is down, i have it less then 1/4 of the way up. i am waiting on my HO alt. to get here. then will it not clip? i ordered it 2 weeks ago and its still not here.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1640
it might be that your amp wasn't able to get enough current to make its power at full volume(or whatever ou have it at), and it will clip the signal then in order to try an increase the power.

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 373
Yup man. Thats what happens when your amp clips.
I had the exacts same happen to my sub. The tinsel leads(positive) on both terminals were fried right thruogh the middle because my brother in law set my gain all the way UP.
Its well worth it to send it back, oh and by the way thats not covered under warranty, It cost me 75 plus shipping, very well worth it. They'll pretty much send it to you brand new. Call them to get an RA number and instructions, when they receive it they'll give you a call and tell exactly how much it is, I got mine the next day.
Send it back for repair dude.

Bronze Member

Houston, Tx Usa

Post Number: 39
thanks for the help. when i hook up my 150a alt. will it not clip then? how do you tell when it is clipping? does it hurt the amp?

Bronze Member

Houston, Tx Usa

Post Number: 40
dr. max, how much was shipping, and is it one way or do i have to pay for return shipping?

Silver Member

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 374
yeah you have to pay for shippig to them wich was $22 for me and for shipping back to you wich was 103 for me, so total 22 plus 103

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 247
wait that made it seem that you said shipping for both ways costed $123. Is that what you ment?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1683
yes, that does seem like a lot doesn't it?

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 119
"thanks for the help. when i hook up my 150a alt. will it not clip then? how do you tell when it is clipping? does it hurt the amp?"

It will not clip if you properly set your gain.

You know your clipping when you can hear distortion.

It doesnt hurt the amp nearly as much as the driver its powering. (its basically sending it DC in extreme cases of clipping (square wave) thus heating the coil much more rapidly than a sinusodial wave.) > bad news for speaker

However extreme cases of clipping can cause damage to the amp especially when clipping for prolonged periods of time.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1694
you can clip an amp and not hear the distortion as well. it depends on like you said, how severe the clipping is.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 244
then they have a sh!ty warranty. this has happened to more than one person i see. sounds like a design flaw to me. (unless thier using the tinsel as a fuse to protect the voice coil lol)
THIS SHOULD BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!!!!!!
There is no way I would stand for them charging 75 bucks for something that is clearly a build/design flaw.
you'll never see a DD burn its tinsel leads, it has multiple runs between each layer of spider. I guess you get what you pay for.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10553
tinsel lead separation is generally a mechanical failure caused by the amplifer clipping, yes.
It can also be caused by using a sub in a ported enclosure without a properly tuned subsonic filter, causing teh driver to unload and over-extend due to lack of damping.

if it's the amp's fault, clipping is caused by two things:
input sensitivity is set too high, over-driving the amplifier, or a lack of current causing a sag in the power supply voltage rails which also causes clipping.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10554
and zac, the only sub that comes to mind that has a design flaw that involves tinsel lead separation and lead slap is the solobaric line from kicker.. otherwise, it's always caused by the user.. be it a clipping amp or the sub unloading.

under those conditions, ANY sub will tear up the leads.. DD, RE, ID, whomever.
Besides, the XXX isn't an SPL sub by any definition of the term. It's a SQ sub, as the motor topology shows.

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 245
I doubt that. The DD has 16 tinsel leads on each woofer (8 per coil, one lead between each layer of damper/spider, thats 4 per layer).
The end result lends to nearly zero resistence between the speaker connection and voice coil.
In addition, this connection is thermally capable of handling excessively higher amounts of power in comparison to the voice coil itself.
With that, no, you will not find a DD with a "burned" tinsel lead, or a torn lead.

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 246
Another point, this has its drawbacks as well.
If we were to think of the tinsel lead as a fuse that can be replaced, since it saved the coil from being thermally overloaded, you wont have to completly recone the woofer.
a failsafe if you will

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10570
still doesn't prevent the sub from unloading in a ported box and over-extending.

that's also not every DD sub model made, fwiw.

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 247
over-extending? I thought we were talking about tinsel leads ripping and or burning in half.
Tinsels will not rip/break on a DD woofer. The only way that could happen is if the spider were to rip, an occurrence not likely.
As an SPL competitor, i've been given the opportunity to witness a wide variety of woofers under extreme conditions.
Digital Designs fair the weather better than any other brand to date. Ask any major competitor, wether or not they use DD, they will agree they're the most durable.

As for the tinsels thing, yes, ALL DD models are made this way, even the lowest end 1000 series.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 503
hey zac im just wondering how does shcoker audio compare to DD in terms of quality.

Silver Member

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 376
I would'nt say its a design flaw. I own multiple RE subs: 18"x.x.x., 15"x.x.x., and 18" SX. All in diff. vehicles by the way. ALL sound incredibly loud, crisp and clear, in other words, amazing. they're all in ported boxes taking 1200 watts rms of advertised power. The x.x.x.'s I've owned for about 10 months now and the only reason I ,or rather my brother in law, ruined my 15" x.x.x. was because he set the "gain" all the way up when I let him borrow my SUV one day. Thats it. My 18" has and still is, sounding great. No Problems what so ever.

Silver Member

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 377
No,NO,No,No and I'm sorry for the confussion. TOTAL COST was $ 123. For repair and shipping both ways.

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 319
zacdavis:

I was just wondering... where does the TREO SSI stand (in your opinion) in regards to the durability mentioned above? For that matter, which subs would YOU say are in this "durable subwoofer" bracket (besides DD)?

I definately see what you're saying. Mainly, because I've had alot of tinsel lead problems before. Last one resulting in a fire in my mustang! Anyway, I'm interested to hear your answers and opinions. I tried to private message you, but was unable to do so. Please respond.

Thanks.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10583
we're discussing causes for tinsel lead separation. you're the one who brought up thermal damage, not I.
Not once did I refer to leads as "burned"

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 618
In one video on www.realmofexcursion.com, i'm pretty sure the MT's tinsel leads in one video didn't burn until they took a wall outlet to it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us