Subwoofers and Metallica

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 474
So I am a huge metallica fan. So, I have Master of Puppets (not digitally recorded), The Black Album, and ...And Justice for All. I was playing them on my subs (RE12's) and they sounded kinda muddy and stuff. A couple of their songs have great CLEAR accurate bass lines such as The Four Horsemen and One but other songs like Enter Sandman sound like crap. What causes this and what can I do to fix it? I know a good amount of air is leaking from the subs cause I can hear it but i am sure this isnt the ONLY reason.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 788
I think i know what u are getting @ - that situation also happens with songs like U2's with or without u , bruce springsteen's streets of Philadelphia & on certain rap songs . To me its just the way the song was engineered with some really low freq & few systems can play them extra loud & still sound good .

I used to listen to Metallica & metal back in 80s & 90s alot , still have all my tunes on mp3s .

Most i can say is to turn the bass knob or lower your volume a bit on certain songs ......

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
Yah, I noticed several songs have pretty muddy bass lines :-( . I LOVE metallica so like when Enter Sandman comes on, I have to turn the bass volume REALLY far down. The thing is, it sounds AWESOME on my cheap, 40$ 2.1 speaker and sub on my computer. The sub only has 10 watts but it hits everything very musically and accurate.

Silver Member

Post Number: 476
take that back, Enter Sandman has shitty bass no matter what subs I use :/

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1597
i just burnt a Metallica Mixed CD, and it sounds terrific. no muddy bass on any of the songs.
that's weird that you would talk about that, b/c i was listening to it on my way home from work today, and then i got on here and...the rest is history. lol

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 794
Arrr ye music burning pirate u ! - lolUpload

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 412
no problems playing metallica on my system either. they are even mp3's, all on 1 disk. have originals too, just easier on 1 disk.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 901
With my SPL setup, Metallica sounds good. There a very few songs that the subs sound a little muddy on, and that's because of the enclosure, and I can just turn it down :P.

Silver Member

Post Number: 902
Sh1t... I missed my 900th. post! ARGS!

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 928
Metallica sounds good on my system. It's loud and clear. My favorite song to play by them has to be Low Man's Lyruc from the Reload album. "One" sounds extremely amazing as well. There are a few Korn songs that sound a bit off but all I have to do to fix it is mess with the EQ a bit and turn the bass down. And then iy sounds great again! I'm gonna say that the reason this happens is 1. the type of music that is being listened to and 2. how the song was recorded.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1616
i take that back, Enter Sandman does have muddy bass.
i was listening to it on my way to school this morning.

Wahl, i downloaded that Low Man's Lyric song, after you recommended it, and i am addicted to it. lol
i love the bagpipe, or whatever it is. lol

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3748
What's your lowpass filter set at? Might be too high, and your subs are playing a little more than they should be for proper sound staging. I would think that the RE's would be able to keep up with Metallica, especially from what other people say, but then again I've never heard one. Your enclosure can play a part in it as well.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3751
If you really wanna put your system to the test, listen to some good thrash metal, like Slayer. I've yet to have anything not play perfect, but I do have to keep the volume down some when playing stuff with such fast double kicks. My 15" keeps up nicely, but it lags just a tad when the volume gets cranked.

Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 7
Dig by Mudvayne is a badass song to play with a system with the highs all the way up and the mids all the way down.

Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 8
well then again every Mudvayne song is badass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 915
True dat...

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 930
lol Muddy I told you guys that song was awesome! I came to school the other day with it on and some kids asked what song I was bumping to and they didn't believe me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us