15SX 5cuft net 30hz 92.5 sqin port area 1000/1 ..sound good?

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 914
okay i think i know what i want to try next. i think i want to get a 15inch SX and put it in a appx5 cuft net ported box tuned to 30hz. do you think 5cuft is too much? reason its so large is because it makes the port length shorter... its going to be 37 inches wide. 20 inches deep. and 18.5 inches high. (interior) thats 7.92 cuft gross. the port will be 5 inches wide and 18.5 inches high and 45 inches long. thats 2.77 port disp. and the net volume excluding the sub is 5.15cuft. the sub disp is .18 so the actual net volume is 4.97 ... i think i may add some port length and add bracing though as well... it will be run off my 1000/1 ... im going for SQL and hoping to hit 147-148 True decibles. thats a pretty high goal but im up for it. let me know if you have a better idea. and to let you know i realy like a lot of port area (this one has 92.5sqin) because i like moving a lot of air and im under the impression it helps SQ as well as SPL? i like low bass but i also like to be able to play the whole frequency range. most likely in 2006 i'll be getting a new the XXX though.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 910
i don't know if you'll hit numbers that high but it will definatly make your guts hurt. shouldsound very good also

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2156
Trevor we have alot in common in systems.. I am going from the Avalanche 15 sealed at 2.25 cuft. to now a SX 15 in a 4.somthing cuft ported box tuned to 30hz. I had Mark from www.thecaraudiobox.com build me the box. He has made several boxes for the SX 15 that hit 146 decibals and up. You should check with him if you want a really good box for the loudest and cleanest sound for a SQL setup. I am gonna test mine tommorow and make a post about it. You can find me on AIM at suleman36

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1062
trevor,

i have an SX15 and a jbl bp1200.1...i was doing 145.1dB on the termlab in my ext. cab 98 chevy silverado (i'm louder now though:-)). My box is ~6.5 cu ft (gross) and has 2 interchagable ports. when you put different ports in, it changes the boxes tuning and net volume.

If you tune your box to 30hz, your prolly not going to get the peak for SPL comps that your looking for, but it will be nice for daily driving. If you do build a box for daily, you dont need 90sq in. of port...50sq in is plenty for a 3.5 cu ft box. If you need help w/ designing a box for it that you can use daily as well as for SPL comps...interchangable ports work wonders. Here are some pics of my interchangable ports:

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/650399

I have one port that tunes my box to 31hz w/ 50sqin of port area (the L-shaped port)...also i have a port that tuned the box to 46hz and has 90sq in of port. they just drop in and bolt down.

email me if you need any help
marshall_white2004@yahoo.com

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 917
mo- thanks and yeah we do have a lot in common thats kinda ironic lol. but i dont have the income to have some1 build me a box but i guess it couldnt hurt to e-mail him and ask him what his best results were for SQL. i'll be looking for your post about your results although i might not get to see them until saturday i have a ton to do tomorrow. thanks again.

marshall- ur interchangable ports are very interesting. do you know what you hit at the 46 hz tune? correct me if im wrong but i thought u hit a 145.1 a long time ago with like 750w after impedance rise or something? idk. but i dont know if i can do that. i mean i could. but itd take me about 6 times as long as it took you lol. maybe more. when u say its not needed to have all that port area.... its not needed but it does help SPL right? and more importantly doesnt hurt anything right? ... according to DD (which are spl kings) you need atleast 16sqin for every cuft. .. id like to go beyond that. and see if i can get more SPL out of a SQL tune.

one thing that im looking at as an example is this guy of teamtoxicbass... he has 2 avalanches in HUGE boxes with HUGE ports. he hits 154 and its a SQL system. now i know he really knows what hes doing but SXs should get louder than avalanches so if subtract half the power and half the subs you get 148. and that would be if they are equal to a avalanch. so yes. 148 is a high goal for ME but its definetly possible (i think) i wish i had a good shop around here to get metered... although im ging to get a 150db meter form splmeter.com but i dont know how accurate it is. thanks marshall i'll keep in touch with ya bout the project.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1065
yea, i did that 145.1dB last april at mardi gras nats. Back then i have a ~4.25 cuft box tuned to 44hz w/ 4ga wire, 1 batt, no rounded off ports, and no sound deadening. Now i have the ~6.5 cuft box tuned to 46hz for SPL, 50 sqft of deadening, 1/0 wiring and big-3, and i'm getting a second batt soon...the 6.5cuft box flexes really bad though, i can put a penny on top of the box and it will jump up and flip and stuff. I'm gonna brace the box this weekend w/ 1/2" theaded rods.

As for SPL vs port area...one big thing in making a strictly SPL box is not having an L-shaped port. Its good to have lots of port area for SPL, but is usually not good to have a port so big that you have to make a bend in it. L-shaped ports are just fine for daily, but for SPL you usually want to allow the air to flow as freely as possible.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1066
oh...and by the way, that 16sqin of port per cuft of box that DD uses is for tuning a box to ~40hz. If you try 16sqin of port per cuft in a box tuned as low as you are talking about...you are gonna have a VERY long port.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 923
im aware of the long port lol. but the bigger the box the less long it has to be and i have room. but i think im going to make a L port because its the easiest... i think i'll make the corner filled with resin for a round corner though. i'll tty more about it later i need to sleep lol.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 949
jus knockin it to the top

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us