Nissan sentra ground wire on harness

Username: Quixcube

Athens, GA United States

Post Number: 1
I bought a harness to connect a Sony head unit in my 93 Nissan Sentra. I made the connections, powered it on, and it blew a fuse.

Before I put it back in and try again, I want to figure out what I did wrong. Someone told me that the ground on the harness I bought (black wire) doesn't really go to a ground source, because Nissan grounded through the antenna not through the factory harness.

Is there any truth to that? What is the best way to be sure, short of running a wire all the way to the battery and hooking the radio up to that?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1686
All you have to do is run the ground wire to a piece of the chassis (or metal touching the chassis). Be sure to use common sense in your location...

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 377
Someone told me that the ground on the harness I bought (black wire) doesn't really go to a ground source, because Nissan grounded through the antenna not through the factory harness.

Yes,

It is a very common circuitry route. I believe even panasonic does that. Anyways, just plug in the antannae and you should be fine. If the unit still doesnt come on, then try grounding your system separately (black wire from after market HU) to the chassis, or anything that has a connection with the chassis. Try to keep it 18" or shorter if possible.

Do not trace the wire all the way to the battery.

Username: Quixcube

Athens, GA United States

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I will dig around in there and find a good chassis ground to wire the head unit to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us