Could you request the best DMM for my situation...

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 890
okay id like to keep the cost as low as possible. i'll be purchasing it online at a website or ebay.
im doing a science fair project and my parents are paying for a few things for it so i figured id get sumin i can use for more than just the science fair project. i dont need to have a 100$ unit the cheaper the better as long as its pretty accurate. im not familiar with good brands so if you have one that you like please let me know.

if i can measure the voltage output of the channles of my amp and measure impedance, then i should be good lol

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4323
If you're looking for DMM that can do that plus more, look for one that is true RMS model.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 674
Not trying to be rude... but when I look at your profile, it looks to me that your parents would have no problem affording a $100 DMM.

Your a lucky ass kid if you drive an Escalade when your 16.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 891
im not saying they cant afford it. im saying they wont pay for it... when i go out to eat and things with my friends my parents see it as my responsiblity to pay for my fun. they look at it as i could eat a home but i make the choice to go out so i have to pay. that has nothing to do with a DMM but just an example that my parents dont pay for everything. i mean sure they could pay for all my food. they could pay for me to wear AF at 90$ a shirt but i choose to wear AE and stuff at bells for like 15 a shirt. they could pay for me when i go to theme parks and things like that, but they dont. its just how im brought up. its not a financial issue.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 892
oh and while im at it... whats a good SPL meter for a good price? or maybe i should just ask if theres a website you know of that sells them?

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 893
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F007%5F002%5F014%5F000&product%5Fid=33%2D2055
thats radioshacks which reads up to 126 .. is it a crappy model? its only 50$
should i go with this one below for 70?
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-SOUND-PRESSURE-LEVEL-SPL-METER-NEW_W0QQitemZ75479680 56QQcategoryZ25423QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 844
http://www.splmeter.com/

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 898
thanks that 140db meter is only 70$! but man do i want the one that goes to 150 lol... do you know how accurate they are?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4783
Look at Fluke for a multimeter, they're the best you'll get. Go to their website and choose based on your needs.

If you want something cheaper, you could go to Sears or similar and get a Craftsman meter, they're pretty good and not too expensive.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4329
Radio Shack nowdays seem to stock cheap craps. I remember, awhile back, they used to have some decent items. Now it's like Pyramid/Sony.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 908
fluke products are quite expensive. how is extech... its over my budget at 110 but it had a True rms DMM and a clamp meter as well as a AC voltage detector. and a handy carrying case ;-)

actually below is what the thing says about it...

Assembled to provide all the electrical testing needs for installation and repair of electrical systems, HVAC equipment and large appliances

Includes:
* EX430 True RMS autoranging Digital Multimeter

* MA200 400A Clamp Meter

* 40130 Non-Contact Voltage Detector

* set of CAT III-1000V Test Leads

* Type K Thermocouple Bead Probe

* Type K to Banana Input Adaptor

Supplied in an attractive storage case that provides protection and organization for the meters whenever they are needed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us