Question about ID Max

id23
Unregistered guest
I am going to get a 12" id max. I am looking at powering it with a Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1. THe amp puts out 600 rms at 1-4 ohm load. I am hoping to get a liitle more out of it because I have heard that it is underrated. Will that be sufficient power for the ID MAx in a 1.40 ft^3 sealed box? If so, I would like to get the dual 4ohm version to wire it a 2 ohms. Will I notice a difference in sound from 4 ohms to 2 ohms? I am asking in case I want to upgrade to a not regulated power amp in the future .orry for the long post. Thanks

id23
Unregistered guest
bump

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 603
Er i noticed here http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2031&C FID=860197&CFTOKEN=33913608 it says an ID MAx needs 1000wrms so that 600wrms PG amp is a no-no .
A good quality JL 1000/1 would be perfect so u won't need to care about what ohm conf sub u get .
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12756

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 637
it doesn't need 1000 watts...it has a 93 db sensitivity...in fact i've heard anything over 1000 watts is extremely pushing it...it will do well with 600-800 watts...but get a stronger amp if you can. maybe a crossfire vr1000d?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4760
It doesn't "need" 1000W, that is a thermal rating. I wouldn't put more than 800 watts on an ID Max unless you just want the headroom, that will realize it's full potential. That amp will be plenty of power for it.

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 169
Hey id23, I actually run the X200.4 and just wanted to share a little information with you. First, the power supplies on the PG Xenon series amps aren't regulated. They do use the Xe.load technology which automatically senses what impedance is needed for the speakers and adjusts accordingly, however the power supplies are unregulated. All of the PG amps are rated in compliance with CEA 2006 standards and are measured at 14.4 volts. The amp maybe slightly underrated, but if your vehicle's charging system can't maintain 14.4 volts it won't matter anyway because the amp won't be giving you the rated power figures at less voltage. Also, the Xenon amps typically deliver the most power at the highest impedance loads. I know they are rated and advertised as delivering equal power regardless of impedance, but in most of the real world tests I have seen, they actually put out slightly more power at 4 ohms than 2 or 1 ohm. So my advice, if you are going to use this amp, is to wire it for 4 ohms and just be sure your electrical system is adequate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us