Blown or not blown....quick easy question.

Username: Kevbo887

Post Number: 6
Basically im not sure if I blew my subs or not. The guys at circuit city say yes, cuz they arent getting full power. I havent cranked the music or anything at all either, which is akward. Basically today they just randomly turned off and sent the amp into power mode. I know its not the amp cuz i hooked up my other two subs and they run fine, and CC checked the amp. My big question is that when I took the subs out of the box (the blown ones) one of the connectors from the terminal on the box to the back of the sub was off, while the other one was on it. The other sub had both connected. Could this be the reason why I cant turn the volume up over 15 right now when the "blown subs" are in, without them shutting down and throwing the amp into protection mode? Any ideas before I go waste my time on switching the subs back out or not! Thanks :-)

somethingredicolousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
one problem....your going to circut city try to find an aduio shop near you with people who would know more about whats going on. how do you have them wired..that could be the problem with the terminal being disconnected

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3652
Your sub is not blown. One simply came disconnected, which screwed up the final impedence, (I'm assuming you have both your subs wired together?) Your amp didn't like the ohm load, so it went into protect mode. Hook the subs back up the way they should be, and try it, and never go to Circuit City for advice again!

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3654
I didn't even ralise you said the other sub had both disconnected. What exactly do you expect to happen if the subs aren't hooked up to your amp?? Current doesn't just come out of thin air, you need to wire everything correctly.

Username: Kevbo887

Post Number: 7
Well, I hooked up both of them, making sure it was correct, and only one of them gets power. The other one just sits there and looks pretty. Quite possible I jacked up and didnt put the wire on it good enough when I put it back in the box (did it late at night and in a huge rush...)so im going to give it a shot again tomorrow. If that works Im going to return the two kickers (which work when they are both plugged in) and get my credit back.

Thats the only reason I can see why only one would work and the other wouldnt. Cuz even if it is blown, it should still be thumping, just sound like crap. Hmmm, maybe the copper wire just needs to be re-soldered. Oh well, Ill check it out tomorrow! Thanks guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us