New HU for around $150 -- need advice

Username: Danhilderman

Post Number: 1
I have been looking at the sony cdx f7710 unit as well as the several pioneer players. Im looking for one around 160 bucks although i can go higher to maybe 190ish. I will not be using an amp (at least not for a long time) and would like a front or rear aux port.

I hear that sony's make crap players though. What are some other good hu's that are around the same price, have good sound, a detach face, and look good?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9976
sony makes crap everything in car audio. that's no lie.

go with Pioneer or Clarion, and get a unit with three sets of pre-outs if you plan to expand later (front/rear/sub outputs)
you won't be disapointed, although you may want to save a little more and look in the 200-250 dollar range.. 150=190 is very entry level.. basic no frills, no features range.
200-250 starts getting into the "decent" catagory for head units

always better to wait and save a little more to get something worth while than spend close to 200 bucks and regret it.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 668
of course it all depends on how "into" it your going to get... getting an entry level HU is fine if you just want a basic system and you are happy with it.. in that sense u can save some money.. but if u have the slightest feeling you might upgrade or go better its always better to getting something good and worthwhile right off the bat .. i learned the hardway :-)

Post Number: 2
I hear ya, before i go into the 200 range, how good is the Pioneer DEH-p6700mp? it retails around 180(at sites that have the install kits) and seems to have more features and a better display.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 671
seems like a decent HU has a 3 Band Eq.. a basic crossover system.. as well as lots of little things like EQ-EX not sure exactly what this does .. didnt have my pioneer long enough to figure it out but i think its something like Media Expander is to alpine .. glasswolf could explain all this better

Post Number: 3
Going into the 200 range, i think i like the deh-p7700mp. http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIODEHP7700MP

Seems to have better features, looks amazing, and only costs around 30 dollars more.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9991
see if it has the features ya need or want. MP3/WMA support, CDR/RW support, supertuner II or IV, 3 pair of pre-outs (4 volt if possible?) and so on.
If it fits what ya want, go for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us