Amp help for orion h2

Username: Spanky34

IL

Post Number: 8
Best amp for an Orion H2. 350 shipped is budget,

IL

Post Number: 9
this is ridiculous, every post i have tried to get a response and nothing happens.... this forum is $H1T

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 275
Chill dude , ppl are bz ,u hardly will get INSTANT feedback - an H2 requires 2,000wrms ,that amt of power requires some big $ unless u go ebay & buy a questionble used amp .

Since its a Orion sub I would buy Orion 2500D (2500wrms @ 1) $770 new . Am sugguesting that would be the price range of other good brands too .

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 11
ok... Rovin not to be rude to you, but i waited like 2 days. but im glad i did finally get feedback. ok, i was looking on ebay and saw the 2500d for like 375 sooo i was thinking that.
Since i am new though, how bad would it be to run it off of like a 1500 rms amp?. Thanks

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 13
Are there any other options other than the orion... just want to broaden my horizon kinda.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 276
i take it u already bought that sub ?
1st thing to know - is it a dual 4 or 2ohm ???
Dual 4 = 2ohm load
Dual 2 = 1ohm laod

U can also buy 2 amps & connect 1/coil but this usually costs more & is more risky setting gains perfectly equal on both amps . http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13700

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14334

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=384

Just a few u could look into .
If that $375 is slightly used & in good condition used if u are sure then its a bargain ,get it .

If u already owned a 1500wrms amp then i'd say experiment with it but its best to kinda match the numbers or actually go over slightly .

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 14
i havent bought the sub yet, but i was looking at doing it because i have heard my friends and it just pounds. So i wanted the same thing just with a lil more amperage running to it. I could get the Orion H2 12.4 for around 275-325. Was going to get 2 of them so really the 2 amps to 1 coil isnt an option. I just wanted to run 2 seperate amps to the 2 subs. Or would it just be cheaper to get a massive 2 channel amp? Sorry i kinda wrote a lot there, just answer what ya can thanks.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 282
Wow 2 subs - that'll make ya deaf man ! note that these high numbers subs are more SPL than SQ . Gotta build a strong braced box outta 1" mdf too ....

Somewhere on this forum i remember reading the guys saying even though the Orions are good ,subs from Adire audio, RE audio & DD are even better - i never used any of em just thought i'd let u know what they said.

U need to get the 12.2 model to = 1ohm if u are going with 1 amp/sub which is a good idea . The Orion 2500D amp is said to be very good & the price u are getting them - i would personally go with that .

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 17
ok thank you. I was gonna build outta 3/4 inch mdf, but since u said 1" i just might go with that...the box is already in design stages. My goal is to shake my school, so i guess i will meet that goal?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 288
Really 'funny' that i'm the only guy willing to even say something to u on this thread , EH !

3/4 is what the majority of guys use cause its cheaper & makes your box smaller/lighter but from what i read on several net sites , the stiffer & less flexing the box does the greater the output . Boxes do tend to 'flex/vibrate' with the amount of force inside em espcially with such high rms subs & actually some ppl resort to internal bracing of opposing walls/sides inside the box .

I usually brace each joint when i use 3/4" but i think with 1" u might not need it -can't hurt to have it though ! . 1" has only now come to be available in my area so i intend to use that from now on . Use like 2.5" screws in pre drilled holes & a product called LIQUID NAILS construction grade , very cheap - its an industrial strenght adhesive ,super strong ! . Remember the key is how good the box is built - u should use a slot type ported box for them subs .

Check here for a spec calculator & general tips www.the12volt.com or info www.bcae1.com .

Currently i got 2 400wrms Pioneer subs (what ppl would call a 'cheaper brand') = 800wrms & plays really good & thats alot of LOUD for me so with your 4,000 wrms of power it must kick @$$ - hope your rear glass does not fall off/shatter !

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 289
Also if i could stand that much noise as u - i'd go all out & buy the 15s instead , vehicle space permitting of course !

U will also have to do some serious alternator upgrades & a Optima yellow top or 2 .....

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 20
i was going to pick up my Optima yellow top this weekend, but i need one with sideposts, do you know where i could pick that up cheaper. In pontiac's infinite wisdom, they put the battery UNDER the windshield washer fluid, and under an engine support bar. Was also planning on getting H/O alt. I want to stay away from buying 2 yellow tops though. but if i have to i will :-). I wouldnt have space for the 15's, with all the amps and stuff. I already have a 4 channel jl audio e4300. If i break my back window AWESOME! So ok if u could hit me up with a link for a yellowtop that would be great. thanks

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 21
Also can i get my current alt suped up, i just boughtt a new one like a month ago. And since it costed like 150 bucks i dont want to buy another one.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 293
What knda link , like this

http://www.optimabatteries.com or this

http://www.etronics.com/listproducts.asp?catid=6173&store=

I'd guess 2 batt would best serve your purpose if ya going to play it out loud with engine off & maybe a good size capacitor too .

A high output Alt is a must with that kinda power u be pushing . Nice JL amp , hope u going to have sufficient highs/mids to back that amt of bass .

Glad if ya glass breaks huh - u r a wacky 1 ! -lol

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 25
Ok... Um, Yeah i got the jl for 100 bucks i thought i did good. Not really gonna be playing it without engine on. Can i have my Alt Just kinda modded i guess, i dont know what other word to use. I dont want to buy another one, just like spend 50-75 bucks to make it a high output.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 171
You're looking at 4000w RMS without any amps for your mids. Good luck!

You're gonna need a huge alternator. You need to be looking for 350A+ alternators.

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 26
Holy $hit didnt realize i would be looking at that big of an alternator. How much is that gonna run, i might have to cut back on the system a lil if its gonna be like 400 bucks.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 296
He did say he got a 4 channel jl audio e4300 for highs/mids .

Well , u can always temporarily downsize if $ is currently unavailable by still doing the alt & batt upgrade 1st BUT only going with 1 sub/amp for the time being .

Those 2 subs are going to be so freeking loud i very much doubt u can handle that SPL sitting/driving around - u gotta get a HU with remote so u can crank it up from outside a good distance away .

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 297
BTW , in your profile i saw ya got 2 12" audiopipe subs - how crappy are those subs ?

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 27
The audiopipes just arent enough power for me, especially since i have em hooked to the jl amp. I might just go with one 15 and amp for the time being and getting a yellowtop, and a H/O alt. Like around 200 amp alt. Then if i decide to do 2 15's, which i lied there is room :-), I can just buy the exact setup again. I think the yellow top should be in by friday, if i can sell my pipes.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 318
U live u learn - in the beginning cheapo subs aren't too bad but when u do get to get more into it & know about better brands , there's no turning back . Hey , i had a pair 12' BLAST KING subs - betcha never heard that brand 60w max really low price & worked pretty good @ that time when i did not have $ .

Yea - do like u say 1 15" for the while .

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 29
i will just go for a 15 until my electrical system can handle it all. Where can i get such an alt though, and did i do good on the jl amp for 100 ?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 330
Here's the specs on your JL amp straight from their site

Specifications:

Rated Power (stereo):
45W RMS x 4 @ 4 ohm (12.5V);
75W RMS x 4 @ 2 ohm (12.5V)
Rated Power (bridged):
90W RMS x 2 @ 8 ohm (12.5V);
150W RMS x 2 @ 4 ohm (12.5V)

Hmmm - great amp anything by JL is but i think its gonna be too weak to keep up with that kinda monster bass ur gonna make . U definitly did not waste a $100 though , u could run that by the time or sell it for a profit .

Its gonna need some really good component speakers to back that bass up though ,maybe some 8" pure mid speakers .

To give u an idea i'm working on my own low budget system running 2 Pioneer 12s 400wrms/sub & am gonna run (4) 6.5 Infinity Reference series components 90 wrms each (Powered by an Alpine amp model MRV-F545 4channel , 100wrms x 4) which a few experienced installers had advise me would be loud enough for my subs .

Have u given any consideration prior to this email what speakers for H/Mids u intended to use ?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 331
About that alt - can't say much on that so just run a new thread listing what equipment u intend 2 push & ask for a size suggestion . these guys here know alot of ppl that build em ....

Bronze Member

IL

Post Number: 34
My friend is replacing the Infinity's in his car and was just going to give me his. I was going to run the jl amp to the mids. He has 2 6x9's and I think 5.25 in the doors. And then he has 2 1' tweets. Just was going to pu t those in . what about the alt though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us