Headunit problem

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 548
Okay...I have a Pioneer Premier DEH-P960mp headunit...It was installed for just over a month and worked fine...I took it out of the dash to tap into the remote turn on lead to connect an amplifier...however, when I took out the deck, it shut off completely...so I checked all the connections and everything was connected, but still didn't work...I disconnected everything and reconnected everything again...still nothing...

Thinking the headunit may have gone defective, I installed my old pioneer deh-p7400mp...and it too didn't turn on...so I know it not the headunits...but not really sure what else it could be...

any ideas, or suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix it?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9364
you pulled the ehad unit with power going to it and with it turned ON??
that wasn't too bright.. no offense.
it sounds like you shorted something out from a bad connection or bad insulating job.
that or you pulled a connection loose, like the ground or a power lead... if you're lucky.

after you replace that radio with a new one, next time don't pull a head unit with the unit turned on or getting power.. you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
yea i realize that...i was in a rush to get it done before the sun went down...now look where it got me...no amp...no headunit...and a short somewhere along the line...all in all...headaches...live and learn

Silver Member

Post Number: 552
glasswolf...how would I go about fixing the problem?

RuFFriTchiE
Unregistered guest
Check your connections and fuses.

Bronze Member
Username: Kyle_allen

Post Number: 28
Check your dash fuses, my friend did the same thing to his player. I tested the wires and they had no power. Changed the fuse below the dash and it fired right up. Otherwise you may have shorted out your unit like glasswolf said. Always disconnect your battery when you are messing with your wiring for future reference.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1556
I've found it necessary to pull out headunits with power going to them due to testing circumstances...A lot of people have wiring problems in their car only evident by doing such...

Bronze Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 13
use a test light and check constant and switched power.... If no pwer check all fuses even under hood.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10117
Jezz, you pull the head unit, then you turn it on.
you don't have it running, then pull it out or push it into the dash with power.. that just begs for shorts.. very easy way to burn stuff up. all it takes is one wire coming loose.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us