Glasswolf, question

Anonymous

Just a question, I saw your site of the Jeep, and my question was is there any reason that you ran the components and reference coaxials in series? Just curious

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1616
balances the power for the subs versus mids/highs. I used one stereo amp for all 6 channels, so I had to do this so they each got the amount of power they needed without anything overwhelming anything else.
the subs are happy with 250W each, and the components are happy with ~60W each.
balances out very well, since I don't have fading or separate channels to adjust with an electronic crossover.
The entire system was really just an experiment of mine to wire the entire setup with a single 125Wx2 amp to see what I could get out of it.

Anonymous

How'd you get 250 out of the subs, the 60 out of the components off a 125x2?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1635
ok amp is running in stereo..
each sub is 4+4ohm DVC, wired with coils in parallel, one per channel.
that's 2 x 250W (125W@4ohms, 250W@2ohms)

then I have the front and rear components (each 4 Ohms) wired in series to the amplifier. 125@4 per channel divided by 2 (8 Ohm load) is 62.5wRMS per speaker.

worked out for a nice balance since I generally shoot for 1/3 total power to mids/highs, and 2/3 total power to subs for systems.

Anonymous

OK then, here's a question. I have a JL e4300 amp, and Infinity Kappa Components, Kappa 6x9's. Is there any special(or shall I say unconventional) way that I can wire it for more power, or should I just run a 4 ohm load. Amp is 45x4 at 12.5V@4ohms, 75x4 at 12.5V@2ohms, Bridged 90x2 w/ 8 ohm load, 150x2 w/ 4 ohm load. Also, I'm the one who asked the wiring question if I could run in parallel a wire w/ a 4 ohm resistor betw pos and neg leads to create a 2 ohm load to the amp.

Anonymous

I thought it would be less than those with the power. How does the amp get all that power to the speakers? Is it lower resistance, or can it be done w/ all decent amps? Can you explain how that power can distribute? Also, I thought the 8 ohm, 62.5W would distribute between the two speakers, making it 31.25W per speaker, also, w/ the sub on the same channel, how does it provide both?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1640
bridge the JL to 2 channels. put one 6x9 on each channel. that'll be 150W per 6x9

I used crossovers on each speaker, so the subs get the full 250W x 2ch @ 2Ohms from 0-80Hz
then from ~100Hz up, the rear coax, and front separates get a combined total of 125W x 2ch @ 8Ohms.
the amp puts out 125W x 2 @ 4 Ohms. if I have just the front separates connected, each one gets 125W. 4 Ohm load.
If I add a second pair of speakers to the same channels, also 4 Ohms each, that divides the power output of the amp between each of the two speakers on each channel, which equates to 62.5W/speaker.

if you're still confused, just go read up on Ohm's Law.

expert
Unregistered guest
Your relationship with your cat is wierrrd, yo.

I am an expert.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1644
my cat thinks you're strange, too.
he said so himself.

ple
Unregistered guest
Expert...This is a car audio forum, there is no need for personal insult or unwarranted psychoanalysis.
Anyway...
Glass, that is a pretty neat set up for your Jeep!!!
I have a couple of questions.
1. To have 62wrms to each speaker ( front and back in series), I assume the 125Wrmsx2 at 4 ohms is also stable at 8 Ohms??? Is it also true for most 2-channel amplifiers?
2. If I want to distribute power to 1/2 total power to mids/high and 1/2 total power to subs, I should wire the front and back speakers in parallel ( 2 ohm load..250wrms...125wrms to each speaker?)??
Thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1664
yeah most amps are 8 Ohm stable.. that's actually less load on the amp. less work, so it's not as big of a concern as lowering the load to produce more power.

yeah sounds right.
remember impedance only drops wiring two speakers in parallel when both speakers are the same/are reproducing the same frequencies at the same time.
example: two 6.5" mids in parallel will halve the impedance.
a sub and a component set tegether, with crossovers, on one channel of an amp will not drop the impedance, even though that can constitute 3 speakers on one channel (sub, mid, tweeter)
all three in that case are crossed over to reproduce a different range of frequencies.

Anonymous

I got ya now, didn't understand til you mentioned the crossovers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us