Wiring 2 Speakers too one D amp

Username: Jonesp

Post Number: 1
yea i got 2 alpine type-r. i hear they're pretty good. I got a good deal on them so i bought it. s woofers mrd-605 amp and a ported box and 4 gaug wire kit.
question is.. they are dual voice coil at 2ohms(i can change for 4 ohms if better) i can wire them to 2ohms and my amp is 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms stable. would i get 600 watts of power? HELP...
email or something

Clownass
Unregistered guest
If you have a pair of 2 ohm dvc subs, and wire them series - parallel you will have a 2 ohm load. And according to your specs of the amp, each sub will get 300 watts. You would get 600 watts of power, but it will be divided between the 2 speakers.

Clownass
Unregistered guest
If you want more power going to the speakers, trade the 2 ohm dvc speakers for the 4 ohm dvc speakers and get another identical amp. Wire the voice coils in parallel and hook each amp up to each speaker. Each amp would have a 2 ohm load and each speaker would (according to your specs) get 600 watts. That is what I would do.

Username: Jonesp

Post Number: 2
the speakers are 200-500 rms

am i underpowering the speaker too much?

do u think the ported box will help?

Clownass
Unregistered guest
"am i underpowering the speaker too much?"

"Too much" is a relative term. It all depends on how loud you want to listen to your music and how much head room you want. I always overpower by a little bit then turn the gains down. That gives me all the clean power that I will ever need, it gives me all ther performance that my speakers have to offer and it keeps things running cooler which in turn makes for a more reliable set up.

Again, if I were you, I would invest in another amp and swap your speakers for the 4 ohm dvc version and run a 2 amp/2 sub set up for the reasons I gave above. It may be a little bit more expensive and a little bit more work, but you will be happier in the long run.

"do u think the ported box will help?"

It depends on what you goal is...SQ or SPL. Do you want your system to sound musical or do you want your system to be loud. Since you went with the Type-R (a SPL speaker) I will assume that you want SPL. A ported box will help in a SPL oriented system...although it does have it's downsides. They take up more space, they need to be properly tuned and they cost a bit more. The best thing to do if you decide on a ported enclosure is to have it custome made by a qualified individual to fit your vehicle (what ever that is). And that can get expensive. Sealed enclosures are smaller, cheaper, don't need to be tuned and produce better SQ. But, they don't get quite as loud and it takes more power to run a speaker in a sealed enclosure than in a ported enclosure...but if you overpower by a little bit, then you don't have to worry about that. It all depends on what you want.

Bronze Member
Username: Homsardude

Post Number: 45
Not to take this thread off topic or anything...I have a type-R and I think it has great SQ (yes yes I know, for a cheap sub :-) ). Type-Rs seem to be a great blend of SQ and SPL (otherwise known as SQL right?) at their price range.

Jones, I am giving my single type R between 700-800 watts RMS and it sounds great. I backed off the gain a little and it's clean and loud. I'd definitely get an amp for each of your subs or just get a bigger amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us