Mutan subs and mutant 280sp amp

stan the man 2005
Unregistered guest
hi, i have just bought 2 mutant 700 watt subs and a mutant amp. just wondering if anyone knows how to wire the amp up 2 the stereo so i can power the subs. my stereo has a line out output (if thats any help) please reply asap

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 247
Who the heck makes MUTANT sub/amps - the XMEN ????

Bronze Member
Username: Homsardude

Post Number: 33
Stan, are the subs single voice coil or dual voice coil? What is the watts RMS (not peak watts) on the subs? What is the watts RMS at 4ohms and at 2 ohms for the amp? Is the amp 1-ohm stable? If so RMS watts at 1 ohm?

You will need to buy a wiring kit to install your amp. You can get ones from Wal-Mart for cheap that are fine (I just wouldn't use their RCA cables). I assume by "line out ouput" you mean RCA preouts. You'll need to use the power wire included in the wiring kit to connect the amp to the battery. Then you need to run RCA cables from the stereo to the amp to carry the sound. Then you need to run a small wire (should be included in the wiring kit) to the 'power antenna' / 'amp turn on' wire on the back of your stereo to let your amp know to turn on when the stereo turns on.

So basically you need:
Power (from the battery)
Sound (from the stereo)
'Turn On' signal (also from the stereo)

I'm running through this quickly, but check out www.crutchfieldadvisor.com for a little better (but still easy to understand) directions on how to do it all.

stan the man 05
Unregistered guest
hi jordan. you check check the ohm's on www.mutant.uk.com save typin it all in. the subs are the 1250's n the amp 280 sp. please reply asap

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Whoa, you don't want to run those subs off that amp. You need to look into much bigger amps that can push around 1000 watts RMS at 2 ohms. You could damage the subs and/or the amp from using such an under-powered combo.

That mutant amp would probably work fairly well for running your front interior speakers, but that's about it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Or wait, I just noticed this...Are they the 1250SB or the 1250X? Either way you would be underpowering them quite a bit.

stan the man 05
Unregistered guest
hi. i bought them off my mate and they have been working perfectly. in time i will buying another 280sp to power 1 sub each. they are the sp subs.

stan the man 05
Unregistered guest
more info jordan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Lol, sorry I'm at work and I get caught up doing work from time to time surprisingly enough :D

If they are the SB subs then you should just run one for now until you can get another 280sp, or ideally get a 300 watt RMS @ 2 ohm mono class D amp to power them both. Follow the directions found at crutchfieldadvisor.com. If your friend had them hooked up I'm sure he could show you how to do it (assuming he did it correctly when he was using them.) I suppose you could run both speakers off that amp but I really don't recommend it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us