HO Alternator wiring

Bronze Member
Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 14
Just got my 180 amp HO alternator installed in my car. Unfortunately, no mechanic that I went to had any clue what I was talking about when I was talking about a HO alternator. I don't think anyone even understood that I needed more power for my 2 amps. I finally got a friend of a friend to put the alternator in (for $50), but he wouldn't touch the wiring from the battery to the alternator. Everything is running fine, and I've noticed that the lights dim less frequently, but it's still happening in bass heavy songs which is unacceptable with a 180 amp alternator.

Can someone point me to a kit (or just what wires I need) that I could buy and maybe coax my mechanic friend into installing? Is the alternator to the battery the only cable that I need to replace? I think I read in one of Glasswolf's posts that this was the wire handling most of the draw, but I couldn't find the exact post. Is this really a complex job?! I should be able to find someone that can do it right?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 101
Look for a wire going from somewhere on your alternator, to the positive terminal of your battery. Where this wire is connected, is where you simply need to attach a larger wire (An extremely secure connection here is a good idea..dont cut corners..) and run it to your positive terminal. Dont forget to use wire covering, or even the expensive wire covering if it's going to be anywhere close to your manifold or exhaust!)

You dont need to remove the other wire, instead, just add to it, since it cant hurt. :-) (Optima's are real nice here, with their dual terminals)

Next - did you upgrade your other wiring?? You should really also consider a larger wire going from your battery to chasis, etc.. Hope this helped.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4132
If you're not handy, then purchase 4gauge or lower with end connectors from any car audio shop. They usually have all the parts needed. You can also get it from 4alterstart.com or any other place that sells HO alternators.
It should be around 12' in length and can cost as much as $25.
Don't use your old aternator wire. Twist tie it to somewhere it won't get caught.
You will also need wire upgrade (same gauge as above) for battery to ground and engine to chassis. These, you should have no problem finding. Any car shop has them. They are 12" - 18" in length and costs $6.
After that, you should have no more dimming lights.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us