Alright im starting to make progress, but i have more questions

Username: Wink07

Post Number: 3
Well I got a question, ive been looking at some amps to amp up my 2 12" Kicker comps(45-150watt rms, 300watt max) and i was woundering what you would reccomend me in about a 300-350$ budget. so far I've looked at some Audiobahn amps (Audiobahn A8000T and A8002T) and I was woundering what you think about these amps, and would they for sure work, and what other amps would you suggest for my set up? thanks for reading.

Clownass
Unregistered guest
For the money that you want to spend (which isn't much), I suggest the Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1. You can get that for about 350 dollars shipped. The specs for the Xenon 600.1 say 600 rms x 1 @ 1-4 ohms, but the birthsheet says over 700 or more on every one that I have seen. That should be perfect for your speakers.

Phoenix Gold may not be the BEST, but they are deffinetly better than Audiobahn. Audiobahn is not worth installing in any system IMO.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 138
$300-$350 is a pretty good budget for the size of amp he needs, especially on eBay.

Are these Kicker Comps DVC or SVC? Are they 4 ohm?

Clownass
Unregistered guest
James,

"$300-$350 is a pretty good budget for the size of amp he needs"

Size of the amplifier is not at all proportional with the cost of the amp. Look at some McIntosh Laboratories amps and their rated power then look at some Audiobahn amps and their rated power and compare prices.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 142
LMAO.

Well, duh. You're talking about a "top" high-end McIntosh. He can get a nice, quality amp in his price range to power those Comp subs. I told him in his other thread that I would not buy an Audiobahn amp. He can get a Kicker KX400.1 to match his Kicker subs well below the $300-$350 budget he set.

For $300-$350 he could move up a notch and shop for Zapco, JL, Diamond Audio, etc. He only needs 300w-400w RMS.

Clownass
Unregistered guest
That was an extreem example to make a point.

Zapco....for 300-350 dollars. Where and which models? JL entry level maybe. I don't know about Diamond Audio amps.

Post Number: 7
alright, so thats the best amp u think, the kicker kx 400.1, sounds good. and thats a mono amp right, which i still dont understand why a mono amp would be getting hooked up 2 speakers. it makes no sence. someone please clearify. thanks

Post Number: 8
alright, so thats the best amp u think, the kicker kx 400.1, sounds good. and thats a mono amp right, which i still dont understand why a mono (one channel right?) amp would be getting hooked up 2 speakers, instead of a 2 channel amp. it makes no sence. someone please clearify. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 227
Uh, Y do u have the same thread twice !?

www.bcae1.com for info

Clownass
Unregistered guest
Matt,

You can wire the voice coils on your subs in parallel, series parallel or series (there are other ways too, but those are most common) so that you can use a one channel (mono) amp to run multiple speakers. Which method you choose depends on the impedance of the voice coils, number of voice coils and what kind of amplifier you have. With subs, mono is the best way to go. With front speakers you want each speaker to have it's own channel for stereo seperation purposes. Stereo seperation is critical for the front stage, and is not at all important for subs.

Post Number: 9
so if i get that mono amp, and upgrade my speakers in the future, it will always work with the subs, no matter what brand i buy, right?

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 143
Matt,

If you're talking about upgrading your subs in the future, then the mono amp might have to be upgraded too. You have two SVC 4 ohm subs. That KX400.1 is rated at 400w RMS at 2 ohms. If you parallel both of your subs together on that KX400.1, you will have a 2 ohm load and the output from the amp will be 400w RMS (actually a little higher because they underrate their amps). If you get "better" subs later down the road, then you will probably need a bigger amp. The RMS output from the amp needs to come close to matching the combined RMS ratings of the subs. If you purchase a pair of 600w RMS subs for an upgrade, then you'll need a mono amp that does 1200w RMS.

Post Number: 10
that sounds good, i understand, and sorry on my part, i ment replace the subs, as in get the same brand/size, because these ones i have i got from a family member used, but either way, you answered my question, and thanks for all the help, and look for more help posts from me, cuz ill be without a douby needing it ha

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 144
Matt,

I checked one auction on eBay for the KX400.1 You can get a new in box 2004 model for $195.00 with shipping on a BIN auction. You could probably find a 2005 model for close to the same price. Also check eBay for Xtant 3.1, JBL GTO301.1, and Alpine MRD-M300. All three of these are 300w RMS at 2 ohms. These would also fit your needs and should be well below your price range.

Like I said before, you should be able to move up to some higher-end amps for $300-$350 on eBay since you only need 300w RMS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us