Head unit preout -> eq output -> amp input sensitivity -> amp gains???

Silver Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 309
My head unit puts out 1.8v and that to my EQ with the following specs...

"Maximum Output Level: 7V RMS
Input Sensitivity: 50mV -- 4V RMS"

Now i have two amps with input sens... to 5v.

This setup with the gains and how i should handle this im lost on. I know i could get an attuenator to drop the line voltage from the EQ but i dont know which would be better..

Would i want to keep the 7v from the EQ and just keep the gain all the way down on the AMP. Or do i reduce voltage and turn up the gain. Im just stating from what i think would be options, but i really dont know or even what would be better..

thx

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 315
bump

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 149
keep gain down on amp.

Clownass
Unregistered guest
As long as you are under 10 volts rms you will be safe. 10 volts and up will cause problems. Keeping the voltage up, as long as 7 is the max, and the gains down, just like Infinity said, is the way to go.

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 316
so it would be best to not reduce voltage and keep gains down.. i figured on as much for a cleaner signal but i wasnt sure exactly which one in the end would be better.. the 7v and low gains or the lower signal and higher gains.

now when we talk about down --- how far down are we talking.. competely? slight turn? (all the way down can be expressed as being between 10 o'clock and max would be one full rotation back to 10 and a 1/3 of a turn ending at 2o'clock... what you think)

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 151
do a forum search on "How to set gains".
you want to set it so that your amp doesn't clip, it helps to have a clip light on the amp, but if you don't you can hear distortion when you set the gain too high.

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 317
i just did a forum search on that and nothing came up. I do not have a clipping light on my amp. As far as distoration and turning the gain up.. are we talking at low or high volumes when testing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us