What fuse to use with amp..??????

Bronze Member
Username: Pikesh

Post Number: 79
guys what fuse should i use with mrd m300... can someone find that out for me.. cuz i think there is 50a fuse 80 a fuse and blah blah so can someone plz tell em what fuse would i need..

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4032
60A fuse should be adequate for that amp. It's not a powerful amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
well ok but what if i put 80 a fuse.... then can something go wrong... becuase i was given a 80 a fuse with the kit and i think that is the reason whyt my amp doesnt power uip no more also there is no current in the power wire may be cuz of that???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
bump....

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 124
An 80A fuse is way too big. That amp does 300w RMS at 2 ohms. I checked the specs on several sites, but couldn't find a fuse rating. I wouldn't use anything over 40A and I think that might even be too big.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
ok so basically as above said..... that 80 a is a BIG FUSE that mean thats i fi use that then i can experiance problems because of that right??

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 126
Yes, the 80A is way too big. Some amps in the 1000w RMS range call for fuses that size. Let's assume that amp requires a 40A fuse. If you use an 80A fuse, the fuse won't blow like the 40A would, thus your amp is not protected.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
ok thnx james but i have this question stuck in my head.... i think that the 80a fuse that i used with tha tamp is the problem... today i had the system running everything was fine and suddenly my subs got turned off i had no sound so i turned the car off and turned it back on and the amp didnt turn on since then.. and i also thik that the power cable seemed to be pulled of little bit from fuse holder soo could the fuse be the problem that my amp is not getting powered.. i also tried another apm but that wouldnt power up too... all the other connections are fine! SO basically am i experiancing this becaus ei used 80 a fuse???

Gold Member

Post Number: 4035
Pikeshp, a fuse size has nothing to do with your problem. All it means is that, it'll pass more current than 40A.
From the sound of it, it appears though your amp wasn't set correctly. Who set the gain/level control? Do you have a DMM? Measure the fuse to see if it's blown. Check the power wires. It could be loose and not conducting.
Measure the power near the amp. See if you get any voltage.
If an amp just dies, then 2 things could cause that. A blown fuse or blown amp. Incorrectly set gain/level will surely damage it over time.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 127
Assuming the other amp you tried is in working condition, your amp might be okay since the 2nd amp didn't work either. Get rid of that 80A fuse. though! It won't blow when it needs to, if a problem came up.

Now, the fuse isn't the problem as long as it's not blown. Check that fuse holder again and make sure the power wire is properly connected.

Are you getting any power to your amp, or is it just that the subs won't play?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
thnx isaac, the gain/ level was not controlled this was the first time that i turned on the system and kind acranked it up.... but how do i get the amp working again so that i can set it up but anothe rquestion that pops is that my friends amp didnt work too... soo i dont think its the amp... there is no current in the power wire for some reason even though it is connected perfectly...... but isaac plz describe this to me if possible... WHEn the subs n amp went off i came to the hood and i saw that the strip wire that goes into the fuse was pulled off little bit.. it seemed like someone tried to pull it off or it just came off.. so i reinserted the wire but since then the hasnt been on yet... soo what it could be how can i fix that...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
THNX JAMES... I AM NOT GETTING ANY POWER TO THE AMP.. the amp doesnt even turn on soo its not the subs its the AMP... the power cable seems dead my friend n i touched the ground n power cable to see if we see any sparks but nothing happened...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4038
Get a DMM and measure the fuse and the wire. It will tell you if the fuse is blown or if the wire is broken.
It's not a complicated problem. If you don't know what a DMM is, go visit a Radio Shack. They have one for $10.
Open up the amp's manual and set the gain/level correctly. If not, the amp will blow, if it's not blown already.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 128
You need to go through the steps he listed above, or have someone else do it for you.

Don't forget to replace that 80A fuse with a smaller fuse. 30A-40A.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 129
By the way, what subs are you using? How many? Are they SVC or DVC? Are they 4 ohm, 2 ohm?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
well when i was running the amp and when this happened i was running one 10 " infinity SVC 4ohm sub but i was planning to put 2ohms of load on them 2 subs since i own 2 of them.. but this problem screwed me over:-(:-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
also james i should get a 30 1 fuse???? i was thinking about 60a cuz i am using 4 awg wire...

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 131
You need to find out what size fuse is recommended for that amp. That amp puts out 300w RMS at 2ohms. I see no reason to use a 60A fuse. 40A would be the max I would consider.

Check your manual and see if it has a fuse rating. If not, contact Alpine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
thnx james the manual doesnt say about fuse rating... so i will basically just use 40 a i guess as per what u said, OR CAN i go for 60 A because i am going to be running 2 subs on with with parallel wiring done. soo the wubs would be running at 2 ohms..? what do u suggest james the final!!! considering that i will be using 2 subs running at 2 ohms...

Silver Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 182
you could put 100 amp fuse on your power wire and that wouldnt make a difference, the amp is protected by the fuses in the amp itself, the high fuse rating just means thats how much current can pass through before blowing, your amp has the correct fuses in it so it really doesnt matter what fuse you got in your power wire

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 134
Uh, some amps don't have fuses in them. The specs on this amp don't give a fuse rating either.

Lots of high output amps don't have built-in fuses. They require in-line fuses. Considering the fact that Alpine doesn't even give a fuse rating for this amp, I would assume an in-line fuse on the power wire is required.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us