DEI - Directed D2400

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 145
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4336.html

For $330 1200wrms @ 1ohm .Its on the good section of the good/bad list - so this should be a nice bang for the buck buy ,right ?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 146
Bump -

Bronze Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 91
Everything I've read about Directed has been pretty good. I do believe they make Orion amps, among others. Looks like a decent buy.

Reading those specs brings up a question for me. That amp has three 30A fuses which should be equal to one 90A fuse. This seems a little odd to me. I would think it should have at least a 120A fuse. It makes me wonder if that amp can actually put out 1200w continuously if it is only drawing 90 amps. My 1200w RMS mono amp has a 150A fuse and calls for 1/0 GA power wire.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 585
1200 watt rms amps usually require only 4 gauge...what brand do u have? seems like a power hog

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 98
Ryan,

It's a Kicker KX1200.1. The Birth Sheet shows 1490w. It came with a 150A ANL fuse. The manual calls for 1/0 GA power and ground wires. From what I've read, 2 GA should work just fine, but it does specify 1/0 GA.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9537
the Directed amps are the same as Vipers with a slightly more sedated exterior design.. good amplifiers.. and ues DEI makes Viper, Orion, PPI, and a/d/s now

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 150
Then it should kick the butt of a similiar wattage of Hifonics amp - right !?

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 101
What about the fuse issue? Anyone have an answer to that?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9550
yeah I'd surely go directed over hifonics.. the hifonics is just cheaper, so I suggest them for people who are essentially cheapskates and won't spend over $200 to get a 1500 watt amplifier.

as for the fuses, 1200 watts RMS is rated using a tone generator with a dummy load. continuous music power, being more dynamic is going to draw less current because the overall power output is going to be lower. you can hit 1200 watts, but it won't be for minutes at a time, and remember a 30A fuse doesn't blow the instant it sees 30A. Fuses are made to blow at a rate of speed that increases proportionally to the percentage of overcurrent passing through them.
at 10% over, it may last 15 minutes
at 20% over it may last 5 minutes
at 50% over it may last 15 seconds
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us