Need a fan for my amplifiers / GlassWolf, Isaac

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2035
I found some on sounddomain/cardomain website. Im running 2 amps like i mentioned glasswolf and im gonna have the box built over the amps like that install you did on the 4 Runner. Will i need 2 Fans or will 1 do the job ?

Does it get wired to the remote wire and that powers it and and turns it on and off ?

Here is my setup for now. I will have the box built over the amps soon.

UploadUpload

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 24
Wait, a different amp for each sub? Is that logical?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2036
one amp for my front stage componants and one amp for my sub.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9389
Mo, look at the PAC CF-1 fan on sounddomain. I like those fans a lot for amplifiers. you can get away with one fan per amp with those.. I just like a push-pull setup myself to direct airflow over amp fins.
yeah you can power the fans from a relay using the remote trigger line so the head unit turns on the amps and fans together. you will need a relay at that point though.

Tyler, I use three amps in mys system. one for each of my two 12" subs, and one for my front stage. There's no problem with doing this if it's set up properly, and it was easier to find two class AB amplifiers that put out 1300wRMS each than it would have been to find a single class AB amp that can put out 3Kw.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9390
...or did you mean a different model of amp for each of two subs?
yeah that I'd avoid as well, in most cases.

Silver Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 258
MO loves to post a picture of his system!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3942
MO, have you seen the inside of your amps? They're contain lot of TO3 transistors. If I remember, the top of the amp you're looking at is really the bottom of circuit board. The transistors are mounted facing downward. Although the heat from them gets transferred to the amp's chassis, part of it gets trapped between the board and the case.
Having a fan aimed at the "half arrow" shaped part of the case will help, but if you can create a vent, it'll help termendously. The same thing applies to your other amp.
Test and see if your amps get really hot. If they do, create some vents and install a small fan that sucks the air out.
On my HCCA G4 amps, they have fins, but yours hardly does.
What I have done in the past with chassis like that was to install extra heat sinks with larger fins and bolt or weld onto the amp. It cools down the much faster.
If you really wanted to get nerdy, youl could purchase a heat monitoring kit that's used in computer cases and hook that up to your amps. Then you can set the temperature to whatever you wanted and it'll kick start the fans.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2038
Glasswolf i could only find these ones on sounddomain/cardomain.

http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/12+Volt+Fans

Which one is a good choice?

Also ive been told to try the squirrel cage blowers from radio shack as it works well for this.

Bronze Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 67
Damn son you got the art amp nice

Glass wolf you said the ab amps are not efficient and loose alot of useful current threw heat so would two fans on the g4s make them more efficient
since it will stay cooler?

are the art amps have better sq then g4?

i havent got my g 4 amp but my bud has the t-series rockford as im sure i said before, is the g4 going to give me that deep ever lasting boooom on those special lil jon tracks???

Glass wolf you have to download throw it up by lil jon featuring pastor troy

Gold Member

Post Number: 3945
Art series is a great amp but if you're talking about the HCCA G4s, then that amp is just as good. I have both. Art series sounds great with components, so does G4, but what makes G4 different is the xover features. It'll make your subs reach those deep bass notes.
I'd take G4 over RF amps.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9401
PAC CF1 fan, first google hit:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5283.html

Jon, no a fan isn't going to really increase the efficiency of the amplifier.. it's just going to cool the heat sinks, which in turn will help to do things like lower distortion and keep the amplifier from shutting off from getting too hot.

the PPI Art series and A series amplifiers are outstanding amplifiers for mids/hihgs, but the HCCA amps from Orion are better suited for use on subs.
they were different amps, built for different purposes.

the PPI art series amps were built and designed by former Orion engineers who left Orion because they wanted to design amps with regulated power supplies, as the PPI name infers. The Orion HCCA amp on the other hand uses an unregulated fixed duty cycle power supply and is designed for high current, low impedance applications to produce high power with a very small IASCA power rating.. it was designed specifically as a cheater amp for competition use. If you want an Orion amp to compare to a PPI, look at the SX and GS lines, not the HCCA.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
I looked around for the SX and the GS
I couldnt find much info on them at all
My current vehicle will be stuck with the eclipse
amp
I will be looking for a art amp to go in my other car you allready know whats going in there

Does the art amp come with a cross over???
I read it was just an amp
and will it be able to handle an eclipse 8454 8v?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3956
LiL Jon, Art series does not come with any xover. I doubt it'll handle 8v. You will need to lower the voltage (4v max).
Some of the equalizer come with a line driver built in. You can use it to lower or raise the output voltage.
6-8 months ago, the SX/GS/G4 were on sale on eBay but now it's all dried up. No one's selling them anymore.
Have you seen the PPI PC series? It is as good as the Art series. I've tested both.

Bronze Member
Username: Pelon777

Post Number: 18
Isnt a xover on a amp for front stage componenets?...can sum1 please explain this to me???

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2041
Isaac i have my ppi a300.2 amp running off my Eclipse CD8454 at 8V preouts and it sounds great. However im planning to sell my new Eclipse CD8454 since i dont use all of its features and just gonna go with somthing more simple and easy to use like the Pioneer DEH-P860 HU. Its the premier model with 6.5V preouts.

It will be up for sale in the next 2 weeks or so after i get it taken out of my car.

Here is a picture of it in my car now.
Upload

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2044
Glasswolf so this fan is better then the other ones for my amps ? will i need one of these or 2 ? Thanks

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9426
one fan per amp should do fine.

the Art series amplifiers do indeed accept up to 8V input, and they are all MilSpec components inside. Personally I prefer them to the PC series amps.. They look ten times better, too.
They do not have any internal crossovers of EQing though like modern amplifiers. That was all done through external modules in the early 90s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3958
GW, where did you find about 8v on the Art series? I couldn't find any, anywhere. The guys I dealt with could only guess it was 4v max cause of it's age and date of manufacture.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9433
remember, I used to sell PPI hehe
look on ebay right now at "PPI ART" and you'll find some processors for sale from a guy in Holland, MI. he lists the specs, and they support up to 8V inputs, with 8V line driven output.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2047
Glasswolf, dont know to much about relays but what type of relay do i want and whould work with my application powering those 2 fans with the remote and relay. Is it easy to install. I hear that the Squirrel Cage Blowers/fans at radio shack work really well also. Has anyone tried these.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9447
I don't trust any of the cheap chinese crap sold at ratshack. I worked at one briefly and I know how they do their purchasing from the lowest foreign bidders.. which is why their crap is overpriced and usually falls apart within a couple of weeks.

if you want to know about relays see www.the12volt.com
has all the diagrams you need

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Isaac I havent seen it but I am going to check it now how ever

Glass being that the amp has no cross over
wich head unit would compliment it more
The 8455 or the 8454 they both have 10 band EQs in them Or could the 8445 be used with its lacking 7 band EQ?
I am sure 1 of the HU would help even things out if not all

Gold Member

Post Number: 3962
LiL Jon, the thing with Art Series amp is, you don't need any xover for it. It'll sound as good if not better at flat setting with your components. Before you spend any more money, try one. You'd be surprised with the results.
If the choice was between 10 band and 7 band, go with the 10. It gives you more control.
As with any xover setting, RTA is your best friend. You can only do so much by ear.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9455
umm you guys are mixing up crossovers with equalizers here :-)
you don't really need an EQ unless you have issues with your car's envirnment to correct for. However, for an actual crossover (XO) any head unit with 3 sets of pre-outs will have all you need for an art series amp. you just set the high pass filter on the pre-out of the head unit for whatever you need.. usually around 80-125Hz HPF, 12dB slope.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2052
Glass have you used the PAC CF1 fan ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Isaac yea I am going to get the art series amp
and try it out this is gonna be an awesome system
if i can get the g4 amps as planned to run my ava's

cool glass thats good to know i thought i was gonna have to send a amp to that guy on another board that builds cross overs

hey glass install my system for me lmao

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9469
probably not too close to me.. heh

Mo, yeah I like the fans myself. using some on my car.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2054
Glass, whould you happen to know the dimensions on the PAC CF1 fan because on sonicelectronics they dont have a description for it. Also should i get 2 of these fans or just 1 ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3968
MO, does your amp shut down from overheating? My Orion amps so far hasn't (knock on wood). I don't see the point in installing them without testing. My PPI Art series amp gets warm to med hot. Your amp will probably do the same. It is natural for the amp to play warm.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2057
My amps havent shut down on me yet and its been hot as hell this the last 2 weeks ive had my system in my car.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9492
never hurts to cool the amps anyway. the cooler you keep them, the lower you keep distortion.
as long as the amps are in a location where fan noise isn't an issue, I always prefer to cool fans externally to be safe. one fan per amp should be plenty.
fan is 8-1/2" x 1-1/4" x 1-1/4"
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/fans.htm
first one listed

Bronze Member
Username: Mlongpre

Post Number: 60
can you just hook the fan up to the remote turn on wire and ground the negative of it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3983
No, the remote wire from the HU doesn't supply enough current for powering devices (200ma the most). If you try, you will surely blow it.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9507
use a relay

Bronze Member
Username: Mlongpre

Post Number: 61
blow the fan? ive been running it off of it for awhile now. it seems to be working alright. Hmm...I'll give a relay a try though. It seems to run at the same speed if i hook it up to the remote turn on and the power for the the amp.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9517
use the remote line from the head unit as the trigger for the relay.
use the relay's high current sircuit to drive the remote triggers for the amplifiers and to drive the fans, drawing the 12 volts from the d-block or amplifier main power line coming from the car's battery.
if you use the head unit to do much more than about three trigger lines, you're going to fry the circuit in the head unit that drives that 12 volt low current remote trigger.
it's just not made to supply anything more than maybe 500mA
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us